Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Comics buys the rights to Miracleman/Marvelman

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Marvel Comics buys the rights to Miracleman/Marvelman

Yeah, DC doesn't need Supreme. They have enough Superman analogs for a company that already owns Superman.
Old 05-01-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I was suggesting Supreme for DC because you can do all the Superman stories with him you can't get away with on Superman. The reality is that Superman is a huge merchandising brand for Time-Warner, the brand is too valuable to really push the envelope in comics.

You could tell many Superman stories you can't get away with now in the DC universe if Supreme was used in his place.
Old 05-02-15, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Required Alan Moore reading:

Miracleman
Watchmen
V for Vendetta

Swamp thing
From Hell
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol. 1 and 2
Promethea
The bolded, I own. Absolute edition for the former and the latter in a regular TPB. And I've read random Moore stuff. The Killing Joke, his Supes issues, etc.

For some reason, I'm not attracted to From Hell. I dunno why. I just don't care for a story w/ Jack the Ripper in it. Though I find him interesting. I'll have to read it at some point cuz it's Alan Moore. I just dunno why I don't care for this out of all his work. Something about it just doesn't attract me enough. Where does it stand for you guys?
Old 05-02-15, 11:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I read the first few issues of From Hell and found it fascinating and extremely well done. I decided to wait til it was finished to binge read and have never made it back to it. Someday.
Old 05-02-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I've read From Hell three times now. I love it, but it's a big commitment.
Old 05-02-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

From Hell is a really dense work. It's probably not something I would recommend to a lot of people, and it should not be the first Alan Moore book someone reads.
Old 05-02-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I bought From Hell a collected edition from Eddie Campbell at SDCC in 2000. He signed it and did a sketch inside the front cover. On the way back, my flight was cancelled, so I ended up waiting in the airport all day for the red eye. Since I had nothing else to do, I read nearly the entire thing sitting in two different airports and on my flights home (Connected thru Chicago the next morning)
Old 05-02-15, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The bolded, I own. Absolute edition for the former and the latter in a regular TPB. And I've read random Moore stuff. The Killing Joke, his Supes issues, etc.

For some reason, I'm not attracted to From Hell. I dunno why. I just don't care for a story w/ Jack the Ripper in it. Though I find him interesting. I'll have to read it at some point cuz it's Alan Moore. I just dunno why I don't care for this out of all his work. Something about it just doesn't attract me enough. Where does it stand for you guys?
From Hell is Moore's real masterpiece, certainly the greatest non-superhero graphic novel I've ever read. The amount of research and historical depth he put into it was staggering. The movie is absolutely terrible, right from the Hollywood cookie-cutter mold.
Old 06-02-15, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anything it will be nice to see them not have to squish Miracleman into the word balloons every time someone says his name.
Old 06-02-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitter Patton
If anything it will be nice to see them not have to squish Miracleman into the word balloons every time someone says his name.
Yeah I know.

Oh, what?
Old 12-15-15, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

This was just solicited for March 2016

MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM: THE SILVER AGE #1
NEIL GAIMAN (W) • MARK BUCKINGHAM (A/C)
Variant cover by CHRIS SPROUSE
Variant cover by PHIL NOTO
• Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham’s unfinished storyline “The Silver Age” begins!
• Young Miracleman — the lost member of the Miracleman Family — is back!
• His last memories were of a 1963 world of joy and innocence. Now, he’s been thrust into the 21st century, where his best friends have become gods and monsters.
• Remastered with stunning new artwork by Mark Buckingham!
• Including material originally presented in MIRACLEMAN (1985) #23, plus bonus content.
48 PGS./Mature …$4.99
I'm glad tis is coming but don't understand at all why Marvel decided to re-start the series earlier this year with a new #1 after doing reprinting Alan Moore's run.
Old 12-15-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,496 Posts

So when are we getting omniboo or bigger collections?
Old 12-15-15, 01:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I'm content with my old copies until they give us $.99 singles or a fancy omnibus.
Old 12-15-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm waiting for an Omnibus as well.
Old 12-15-15, 04:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For $5.99 an issue, or whatever they're charging, I can wait out the individual hardcovers and pick up the eventual "Original Writer"/Gaiman Omnibus. Probably.
Old 12-15-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I mean, we all waited this long, right?
Old 12-15-15, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Issue #2 by Gaiman is also coming later in March too. The purchase by Marvel has been a huge bust for them, but I blame them. Instead of doing this right for everyone, they have simply overpriced this reprints for no reason at all. Adding the Mike Anglo stories as fillers serve no purpose since most, if not all of those stories are bad to begin with. Even worse is the fact that these books have been bagged by Marvel to prevent "innocent" eyes from reading whatever graphic material there may be from issue to issue. They have served over this reprints to no end.
Old 12-15-15, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I might start buying "The Silver Age" with #3 since I own all of the Eclipse issues.

But, yeah, Marvel kind of screwed the pooch with this one.
Old 12-16-15, 11:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Marvel is probably going to cycle through every format possible on this to make the most $$ and make fans double, triple and quadruple dip.

Overpriced Single Issues then Premiere Hardcovers eventually followed by Trade Paperbacks then at some point either Oversized Hardcovers/Omnibus editions.
Old 12-16-15, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Issue #2 by Gaiman is also coming later in March too. The purchase by Marvel has been a huge bust for them, but I blame them. Instead of doing this right for everyone, they have simply overpriced this reprints for no reason at all. Adding the Mike Anglo stories as fillers serve no purpose since most, if not all of those stories are bad to begin with. Even worse is the fact that these books have been bagged by Marvel to prevent "innocent" eyes from reading whatever graphic material there may be from issue to issue. They have served over this reprints to no end.
I thought the polybags were so people wouldn't read through them and not buy them. For a minute some video game magazines were doing this. Then again, maybe they had some explicit video game scenes in there...

Me personally, when it was announced they had bought the rights to Miracleman I was excited as I wanted to see Gaiman finish his stories. BUT first Marvel put out all these Mick Anglo reprints..
THEN they put out the entire old run month to month...
NOW they finally put out the issue with Gaiman continuing the story and I don't care anymore.

Don't usually they just reprint old comic runs in paperback? Maybe Gaiman and Buckingham needed time to get their other work out the way, before they could start back on the series, I dunno. But if it was just to bleed costumers out of more money than I can see why they might not have made back the profits they were seeking.
Old 12-17-15, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by brayzie
Don't usually they just reprint old comic runs in paperback? Maybe Gaiman and Buckingham needed time to get their other work out the way, before they could start back on the series, I dunno. But if it was just to bleed costumers out of more money than I can see why they might not have made back the profits they were seeking.
There are a select few series that defy normal comic practices. This is one. Marvel has one chance to take things slow and milk the consumer. If they just jumped straight into trades they'd probably be losing out on a lot of lost sales in other formats.

For instance, in January 2014, Marvel's best selling comic was Avengers World #1 with an estimated sales of 86,727 at $3.99 an issue. Miracleman #1 sold an estimated 52,313 copies at $5.99 an issue. The difference between the two is ~$32k. That's pretty easy money for Marvel right there.

If you had just thrown that Miracleman stuff into a TPB right out the gate, you'd have missed out on all that easy money.

And the collectors that are waiting for an oversized deluxe treatment have been waiting for so long at this point. It's unlikely a few more years is going to really affect those future sales significantly, though I can see how some of that audience might lose interest after sitting through all the initial hype of the reprintings.
Old 12-17-15, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the polybags are there because of the explicit content. Especially the one with the graphic childbirth scene. Even before the Disney buyout, Marvel was weird about mature readers books, and this one is pre-existing, so they can't make editorial changes before publication without outraging the readers, so they're probably kind of 'weirded out' by having a mature readers book they can't control.

As for the decision to publish in comics singles before HCs and TPBs, that probably comes down to maximizing their profits. Another format to amortize the purchase. Also, the original run stopped two issues into Gaiman's second arc, so they were going to have to do some reprints anyway.

Marvel paid a lot of money for a worthless character... aside from some good run by Moore and Gaiman, there is absolutely nothing special about Marvelman. So they only have about thirty four issues worth of material to exploit. Maybe after Gaiman finishes the Dark Age they can reboot the character and put Marvelman in the Marvel Universe. Dunno what their plans are.
Old 12-17-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think those reprints of Mick Anglo stories early on probably hurt things a bit. I'm sure some people thought "I'll pick this up and see what this character is all about," only to find a toothless Captain Marvel knockoff.

I think I saw some of those hardcovers going for like $5. No one wanted them.
Old 12-17-15, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Marvel paid a lot of money for a worthless character... aside from some good run by Moore and Gaiman, there is absolutely nothing special about Marvelman. So they only have about thirty four issues worth of material to exploit. Maybe after Gaiman finishes the Dark Age they can reboot the character and put Marvelman in the Marvel Universe. Dunno what their plans are.
That's got to be the long term game plan. Marvel can probably make some big cash out of an event that brings him into the Marvel U proper and that way they don't have to pull a Sentry or Blue Marvel type of story.
Old 12-17-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think there's anyway to bring Miracleman into the Marvel U. He's too powerful. But I suspect they'll introduce a less powerful Marvelman version at some point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.