Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: Classic/retro comic strips thread

New art for Fantagraphics' Floyd Gottfredson volume 1, "Race to Death Valley."

Interview with Gary Groth about it and the series:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=31054

He talks about the character and history, and also some details about the books:

The format for the Gottfredson "Mickey Mouse" collections will be similar to Fantagraphics' other comic strip reprint books including "Peanuts" and "Dennis the Menace." "The books will be slightly larger than our 'Peanuts' books, landscape format, approximately two years of strips per book," Groth told CBR. "They need to be a little bigger than the 'Peanuts' books because Gottferdson's art is more dense than Charles Schulz's, and, interestingly, each panel usually represents a complete picture rather than an abbreviation of one. They need space to breathe."

In collecting the entirety of Gottfredson's 45-year run means Fantagraphics will be reprinting controversial strips, some of which have only been reprinted in a sanitized format in the time since their original publication. As highlighted in the case of recent editions of "Tintin in the Congo," some character depictions may be considered racist by today's standard, and a storyline in which Mickey repeatedly tries to kill himself is likely to raise some eyebrows. Groth confirmed, however, that "the Mickey strips are being published unabridged." "The book has about 60 pages of essays, some of which address the more controversial elements of the Mickey strips," he explained. "We do place them in context." In addition to the introduction by Warren Spector, creator of the recent "Epic Mickey" video game who will also be writing BOOM! Studios' upcoming "DuckTales" series, David Gerstein will be providing a number of essays for the first volume, as will historian Tom Andrae and Floyd Norman.
And volume 2 appears to be scheduled for Oct. 18, "Trapped on Treasure Island." There'll be a two-pack that cleaves 10 bucks off the list price (and showing a release date of 10/4--maybe it's a typo).

Last edited by davidh777; 03-12-11 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-12-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I still can't believe all the great comic strip reprint books that available now or will be shortly (Buzz Sawyer is coming soon from Fantagraphics- this is right up there with Captain Easy, one of the most fun adventure strips ever made and VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
Buz Sawyer looks like a lot of fun. I'll probably pick it up at some point.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...-up-22311.html

Buz Sawyer Vol. 1: The War in the Pacific by Roy Crane
Fantagraphics, March 2011
Rating: 9.0

There used to be these things called newspapers. They were like a bunch of paper placemats that were folded over and wrapped up together, but full of department store ads instead of the story of when Dave met Buster. They also usually ran comic strips, and one of the best in the days of our grandparents was Roy Crane’s Buz Sawyer. Crane arguably invented the adventure strip in the 1920’s with Wash Tubbs and its Sunday spin-off Captain Easy, and by the time he started Buz Sawyer for Hearst in 1943 he was an accomplished master of the form. In the serialized adventures of Buz Sawyer, ace World War II Navy pilot and clean-cut ladies man, Crane expertly mixes high action in the Pacific with just the right amount of romance, creating a storytelling engine as sturdy and reliable as Sawyer’s SBD Dauntless. Crane’s gorgeous art, with cleanly drawn figures, extensive shading, and a slightly cartoonish style, took full advantage of the space provided comic strips back in the day. It’s difficult to imagine how Crane, who passed in 1977, would work with the severely reduced real estate of today’s comics pages. Of course there’s an unfortunate racial element to Buz Sawyer, as all non-white characters are reduced to the broadest and most offensive stereotypes, but that doesn’t diminish Crane’s formidable talents. (GM)
Old 03-24-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

A bit disappointed in the Buz Sawyer book. Reproduction is small and not very good. There was another reprint of the war era strips that came out in the 90's and though I haven't compared them, I think I was more impressed with the quality of those. Looks like they got most of the dallies from newspaper clippings rather than stats or original art. To be expected I guess, but it really hurts when you're reproducing craft tint art work.

I also can't help but think that like Captain Easy, this would have benefited greatly from being printed on a manila (older newsprint) colored stock. That would have helped mask some of the deficiencies of the source material used and given the whole book a less harsh and edgy look. Yoe does this with his books (the John Stanley library and Dick Breifer Frankenstein) and I think it helps season the poor source material quite a bit.

The material itself is still great- though I liked the strip even better when the character got out of the service and became a continent hopping trouble shooter. Despite the less than stellar repro, the cost of the book is reasonable and well worth taking a shot on.

I got around to picking up Little Orphan Annie Vol. 6 and the Archie Dailies. I was surprised to see the Archie book came from Amazon without a DJ. I saw it on the shelf in a Borders and don't remember it not having a jacket, but the outer boards of the book contain full color art and copy along with the UPC code- unlike any of the other series with DJs, so I guess there wasn't one for this after all.
The Archie material itself is dated, but harmlessly pleasant enough- and filled cover to cover with plenty of good girl eye candy.
I've read that Annie starts to kick into high gear with the arrival of Punjab so I'm very much looking forward to getting to that as well.

Also reading Jerry Robinson's Jet Scott- a somewhat Buz Sawyer-esque traveling trouble shooter with a mid 50's sci-fi bent to it. I got the two volumes cheap from TFAW in their nick and dent pile so it was worth it, but I'm glad i didn't pay even Amazons discounted price for them.

Prince Valiant Vol. 3 came in as well and looks outstanding!
Old 05-19-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1KUgDfy3xgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-22-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

I just preordred that.
Old 05-23-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Captain Easy 2

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bFEbfj5acaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-26-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

$60 list price

Hermes Press adds yet another important title to its line-up of classiccomic book and comic strip reprints with Brenda Starr, Reporter by DaleMessick: The Collected Daily and Sunday Strips.Created by Dale Messick, the first woman to create, draw, and write asyndicated newspaper strip, Brenda Starr successfully mixed romance,fashion, and adventure into one of the longest running features in newspaperhistory. Even though the strip will officially end its syndicated run on January2, 2011, the feature will continue through Hermes Press' reprints of thestrip's early years.The first volume of this series will reprint, for the first time, the firsttwo Sunday storylines in full color. Hermes Press is digitally restoring theseSundays so that they look better than when they were first released. Alsofeatured in this volume will be the first "Man of Mystery" storyfeaturing Brenda's love interest, Basil St. John. Brenda Starr,Reporter started as a Sunday-only strip, but by October 22, 1945 a dailyversion of the feature also appeared. The first daily sequence will also befeatured in the first volume of Hermes Press' reprint.

Frank Robbins' masterpiece, one of the all-time greatest action/adventure newspaper comic strips, Johnny Hazard, is back! When Johnny Hazard first saw newsprint it was near the end of the Second World War. The first storyline in the feature finds Johnny escaping from a Japanese prisoner of war camp by stealing an enemy airplane. From there his adventures were packed with never-ending action, Veronica Lake-esque women, and classic bad guys. Now you can see it all from the beginning, complemented by the work of one of the master artists of the comic strip medium, Frank Robbins. Reproduced entirely from original King Features press proofs.
Old 06-28-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
New art for Fantagraphics' Floyd Gottfredson volume 1, "Race to Death Valley."

I'm reading this now. The first story arc is an adventure story. After a few shaky strips, Gottfredson gives up the gag-a-day format to move the action along. I thought it was great. Then Mickey and Minnie go home, and it's back to the gag-a-day format. I hope that there are lots more adventure stories and fewer funny barnyard animals.
Old 08-03-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't a fan of the job Fantagraphics did with Capt Easy 1- but the second volume looks a lot better.
Some of it may be do to Crane starting to use a more extensive palate for the strip as it advances, but whatever the case was, the bleached out repro work in V.1 is thankfully minimized in V.2

Just got in the 4th and final volume of Rip Kirby. Looks to be more strips that are reprinted from original art or more likely syndicate proofs- as the line work is fleet and precise and not as plugged up from repros of clipped strips.
Being able to read all of this strip has been high on my wish-list for a number of years. So cool to look over to the bookshelf and see all the spines there and know this series is complete.
Seemed like it took forever for that first volume to make it out, and now that it's over it seems like it was finished in the blink of an eye.

Getting a bit tempted to give King Aroo a shot. The whimsical nature is looking very appealing as a contrast/compliment to a mostly adventure heavy library.
Old 08-04-11, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now for the first time an in-depth collection surveying the greatest cowboy strip to grace newspapers, Roy Rogers. See the adventures of Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, and Trigger in both the black-and-white daily strips and twelve complete full-color continuities of the Sundays. Presented in this volume is the complete work of Silver Age master Alex Toth on the title. Also featured is artwork by Mike Arens, Pete Alvardo, and Tom, Chuck, and Bob McKimson. During the 1950's Roy Rogers was one of the most widely read newspaper comic strips in America and this volume presents a representative sampling covering the entire 12-year run of the title. This book, as with all Hermes Press' comic book and strip reprints, presents a detailed essay about the strip's history, written by comics historian Tim Lasuita, accompanied by artwork, movie posters, advertising, and toys.
Old 08-04-11, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice!

Those Flash Gordons are listed as Titan books. I think Fantagraphics or IDW had commented in a blog post that they would be putting out their versions of the strip. The cover looks great there but I will probably be tempted to wait for a US publishers collection.
Hmm, you are correct: The basic info looked very IDW to me but it does appear to be Titan. It's still a ways out so it will be interesting to see if we get any new info in the meantime.
There's an IDW volume called "Definitive Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim Vol. 1" and showing a 9/27/11 release date, but it also doesn't have a buy button:

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Fla.../dp/1613770154

IDW''s Library of American Comics is producing The Definitive Flash Gordon & Jungle Jim as part of the Ultimate Alex Raymond Collection. The Definitive Flash Gordon & Jungle Jim will present every Sunday by Raymond from both classic strips together for the first time, in the oversized 12" x 16" champagne edition format. The artist''s post-war modernist detective series, Rip Kirby, is currently being collected. Eisner Award-winner Dean Mullaney is editing and designing the deluxe editions. "Although Flash Gordon has been previously reprinted, this-finally-is the first meticulously remastered and restored edition that prints the strip in a large size and in Raymond''s original format that includes the Jungle Jim topper. We believe this will be the definitive edition for the ages." Created by Raymond in 1934, Flash Gordon is arguably the most famous science fiction comic strip of all time. It follows adventures of the title character and his companions-Dale Arden and Dr. Zarkov-as they leave Earth to discover the source of meteors that are threatening the planet, and gets waylaid on the planet Mongo, where they battle the evil Ming the Merciless. The three Earthlings encounter one strange race after another, from the water-breathing Shark-Men of the Undersea Kingdom, to the winged Hawkmen, to the ferocious Tusk-Men. All the while, Flash finds himself in the arms of one beautiful woman after another-much to Dale Arden''s chagrin. Jungle Jim was created as a strip topper for Flash Gordon, and followed the life of Jim Bradley, who fought pirates, slave traders, and assorted villains in the exotic Southeast Asia of the 1930s. This neglected Raymond classic also features Jim''s native cohort Kolu and femme fatale Lille DeVrille.
But the Titan book has a new cover (believe it's the same one we were discussing before; release date is 3/27/12):

Beginning the complete library of the greatest science fiction hero of all time.

Volume One will spotlight the work of Alex Raymond, legendary for some of the finest storytelling of the 20th century. Raymond illustrated the Sunday strips until 1944; with his clear and much-imitated style forming the original aesthetic of the most popular and easily recognised science fiction hero for decades to come.

Introducing Flash Gordon, Dale Arden, Dr. Hans Zarkov, and Ming the Merciless, this volume will catapult readers to the deadly planet Mongo.

These are the strips that influenced George Lucas to create Star Wars, and which illustrator Al Williamson said were "the reason I became an artist."
Old 08-04-11, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The oversized 12" x 16" champagne edition is the same format as their Polly And Her Pals release.
here's the first Flash Sunday with JJ topper

Looks like the Kitchen Sink volumes I have reformatted FG to accommodate a 12 x 9 horizontal layout. So the IDW book (as well as the Titan apparently) should reproduce the art larger after all. Wasn't sure about that given that JJ will be taking up some space as well.

I love all the IDW strip reprint books I have. They are at the top of the game, imo. But I have to admit I'm not that crazy about the trade dress for the Flash volumes. Either of the Titan designs work better, and look classier to me, than the Photoshop celestial photo pastiche IDW is using. The hefty price tag is also something else to be concerned about, especially since this will run 4 volumes. I splurged on PaHP because I wanted a good representative volume of that material. Flash, as good as it is, has been reprinted so often now that it's fairly easy to come by. The Jungle Jim strips I've read in the past haven't lit my fire, so that's not as big a draw for me either.
At this point, I'm kind of tempted to go with the Titan version- but I suppose once we get around Q4 and see some holiday deals and coupons, I may be swayed to order the IDW book. Even discounted to under $50 street, it's going to be hard to keep up with that set in the future knowing it's eventually a $200+ investment.

If there wasn't so much other good, and expensive, stuff hitting the shelves over the next year or two, it wouldn't be an issue. Somethings got to give.

Not strip related- but I just got this in and have to rave about it as much as possible-
Fatnagraphics new Alex Toth collection of his entire Standard comics output- 'Setting The Standard'. A beautiful, and hefty, paperback with almost 400 pages of reprinted comics (scanned, but generally very good quality repro), along with 20 pages of notes covering every story and a reprint of a late 60's interview with Toth. The book basically amounts to an omnibus of some of Toth's prime work. Though many of these stories have been reprinted at various times over the last 20 years, the all inclusiveness of this package, along with the high quality and very classy design of the book itself, make this an absolute must have if you are a fan of the artist as I am.

The deluge of amazing publications continues...

Last edited by Paul_SD; 08-04-11 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-09-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I finished Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse. It got better after the miniature golf story line, and it's miles ahead of the lame strips that I used to read in the Sunday papers. But it's still not quite pushing my buttons. Right now I plan to get volume 2, and if I'm still feeling lukewarm about it, I'll be done.
Old 08-10-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's an IDW volume called "Definitive Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim Vol. 1" and showing a 9/27/11 release date, but it also doesn't have a buy button:

Now buyable with a date of 9/20/11 release date and $75 list price.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I finished Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse. It got better after the miniature golf story line, and it's miles ahead of the lame strips that I used to read in the Sunday papers. But it's still not quite pushing my buttons. Right now I plan to get volume 2, and if I'm still feeling lukewarm about it, I'll be done.
Thanks for the reviews! I'm sure I'll pick this up at some point because I want to support the project. The challenge in releasing a huge output in chronological order is that the better stuff could certainly be further down the road. It's kind of like not releasing Night Court after sales of the first season tank.
Old 08-21-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not strip related- but I just got this in and have to rave about it as much as possible-
Fatnagraphics new Alex Toth collection of his entire Standard comics output- 'Setting The Standard'. A beautiful, and hefty, paperback with almost 400 pages of reprinted comics (scanned, but generally very good quality repro), along with 20 pages of notes covering every story and a reprint of a late 60's interview with Toth. The book basically amounts to an omnibus of some of Toth's prime work. Though many of these stories have been reprinted at various times over the last 20 years, the all inclusiveness of this package, along with the high quality and very classy design of the book itself, make this an absolute must have if you are a fan of the artist as I am.

The deluge of amazing publications continues...
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EHin0bPHuXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-22-11, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Big News from the Swamp

We are pleased as punch to announce that Volume One of Pogo has gone to press. We have printer's proofs and it looks sensational. Or to put it another way, it looks worthy of the great newspaper strip (some would say the greatest) created by Mr. Walt Kelly.

Some of Pogo has been reprinted before, not always in the best possible manner. Now, all of it will be republished — every daily strip and every Sunday page with the latter in color — in twelve volumes being issued by Fantagraphics Books. This is not as simple as someone saying, "Hey, let's reprint Pogo" and making a deal to do so. Much of the material does not exist in pristine, ready-to-print form and the earlier a strip is, the more likely it had to be located and painstakingly restored. That takes time, which is why the release date of this book was announced and changed, announced and changed, announced and changed, etc.

But now the first one's at the printer and subsequent volumes oughta be a lot simpler. (That sentence was hard to type with fingers crossed.)

My friend, the lovely Carolyn Kelly, lovingly supervised the loving restoration of her lovely father's lovely strip and she also did the lovely design of this lovely book and its lovely dust jacket and the lovely imprints under that lovely dust jacket. Sure sounds like a labor of love to me. Not that the contents need any help but the strips are supplemented by a foreword from writer (and friend o' Walt's) Jimmy Breslin and essays/annotations by Steve Thompson, R.C. Harvey and myself. If I were you, I'd read all that text stuff after I read the strips themselves about eleven times.

Each volume contains two years of Walt Kelly's magnum opus. Since the first year started in mid-year, there's room in the book to also include the pre-syndication Pogo strips he did for The New York Star, a short-lived newspaper for which he worked. This gives you the chance to observe from Day One and watch as it develops steadfastly from a darn good newspaper strip to something a lot better than just "darn good." Working on this collection, that was my constant thought: "Gee, it just gets better and better, doesn't it?"

That's about all I need to say about the contents. I am not sure when exactly the book will ship. Amazon is cautiously saying mid-December but it'll be well before that by at least a month or two. It'll be soon enough that you can order a copy in confidence of holding one in your hand before long. (Ignore the old cover design on the Amazon listing. The real one is above.) I'll caution you that if you buy Volume One, you're going to want Two through Twelve. I don't want to claim that Pogo was the best newspaper strip ever done. But if you want to say that, I sure won't give you an argument.
http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2011_08_21.html

I am so psyched for this.
Old 08-22-11, 08:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

^ Awesome! And great price on amazon, I'm pre-ordering now.
Old 08-22-11, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Just came out BTW- supposed to be much superior to Vol 1.
Old 08-23-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, that Fantagraphics keeps taking my money!
Old 08-24-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

Man, that Fantagraphics keeps taking my money!
I'm absolutely getting this!
Old 08-27-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Great news on Pogo

Don't know if I mentioned this one when the first volume came out last year; not familiar with the series myself

Doug Wright’s pantomime strip about the life of a suburban family moves into the mid-1960s, and the pop culture of the time begins to seep in. Wright showcases the domestic mayhem that parents and their kids experience throughout the year. The endless play of kids is prevalent, from skateboarding to snowball fights, from the guilty pleasure of making prank phone calls to the daily roughhousing of siblings.
Old 09-12-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The oversized 12" x 16" champagne edition is the same format as their Polly And Her Pals release.
here's the first Flash Sunday with JJ topper

Looks like the Kitchen Sink volumes I have reformatted FG to accommodate a 12 x 9 horizontal layout. So the IDW book (as well as the Titan apparently) should reproduce the art larger after all. Wasn't sure about that given that JJ will be taking up some space as well.

I love all the IDW strip reprint books I have. They are at the top of the game, imo. But I have to admit I'm not that crazy about the trade dress for the Flash volumes. Either of the Titan designs work better, and look classier to me, than the Photoshop celestial photo pastiche IDW is using. The hefty price tag is also something else to be concerned about, especially since this will run 4 volumes. I splurged on PaHP because I wanted a good representative volume of that material. Flash, as good as it is, has been reprinted so often now that it's fairly easy to come by. The Jungle Jim strips I've read in the past haven't lit my fire, so that's not as big a draw for me either.
At this point, I'm kind of tempted to go with the Titan version- but I suppose once we get around Q4 and see some holiday deals and coupons, I may be swayed to order the IDW book. Even discounted to under $50 street, it's going to be hard to keep up with that set in the future knowing it's eventually a $200+ investment.

If there wasn't so much other good, and expensive, stuff hitting the shelves over the next year or two, it wouldn't be an issue. Somethings got to give.
New cover art

In my Gold Box today for $43.55, which is 42% off but still pricey.
Old 09-12-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Another Titan book

Mandrake the Magician: The Hidden Kingdom of Murderers - The Sundays 1935-1937
Hardcover: 144 pages
Publisher: Titan Books (February 21, 2012)

From the very beginning in 1934, these are the original adventures of the famous comic strip detective - collected in full for the very first time!

Mandrake is a master of hypnosis, whose ability causes his opponents to encounter wild illusions, giving the heroes the upper hand in a fight. His enemies cover a broad spectrum, including gangsters, mad scientists, alien creatures, and characters from other adventures. His greatest ally is Lothar, "Prince of the Seven Nations" who gave up his crown to join Mandrake in his globe-trotting adventures. They are accompanied by the beautiful Narda, princess of a European nation and Mandrake's romantic interest.

Mandrake's exploits are among the most stunning and exciting in the realm of comic strips.
Old 09-27-11, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been awhile since I last checked for a MANDRAKE reprint and could only find relatively expensive OOP books from the 70's. I've been hoping for a collection to be released as I have great curiosity about the character. I have a vintage board game from the 60's either based on the strip or a short lived Saturday morning cartoon or both and would love to see where, when and how this character started. You can't beat a top hatted magician detective!
Old 10-28-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-tiL9wgcaM?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-tiL9wgcaM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDsw1OrNjf0?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDsw1OrNjf0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.