Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The one and only Y: The Last Man thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The one and only Y: The Last Man thread

Anyone knows when Volume 3 deluxe edition is coming? I just finished volume 2 and want to continue reading the series as soon as possible.
Old 06-22-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just started and finished this series last week while on vacation. It was amazing. I dare say it blew past Rising Stars and edged out Preacher for me.
Old 06-22-09, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
Anyone knows when Volume 3 deluxe edition is coming? I just finished volume 2 and want to continue reading the series as soon as possible.
Just buy all the softcovers now and replace them w/ the deluxe editions as they are released. That's what I'm currently doing with The Walking Dead.
Old 12-28-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
April 27

I just finished the first two HCs and was a little underwhelmed. It's great to have the larger size and better paper, but there wasn't much extra material, and in some ways the TPBs are more readable.
Old 12-28-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I read the first two hardcovers and enjoyed it, although those were borrowed. I'm trying to decide if i should just buy all the paperbacks, or just read them at a bookstore or something.
Old 12-29-09, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
April 27

I just finished the first two HCs and was a little underwhelmed. It's great to have the larger size and better paper, but there wasn't much extra material, and in some ways the TPBs are more readable.
Cool. Just pre-ordered it.
Old 12-29-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It seems like they are only putting out one volume of the deluxe edition per year.
Old 04-01-10, 07:14 PM
Banned

Volume 4 is coming October 26.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Man-Delux...0157744&sr=8-1
Old 05-17-10, 08:43 PM
Banned

This series has easily become one of my top five favorites of all time. I just finished reading the Vol 3 deluxe edition and loved it. Now I'm waiting until October for Vol 4.
Old 05-17-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How does a deluxe trade differ from a normal trade? Thicker paper, bigger pages, bonus art?
Old 05-17-10, 11:55 PM
Banned

Hardcover, thicker paper, bigger pages and bonus script (at least on Vol 3.)
Old 05-20-10, 12:58 AM
Cool New Member

It's one of my favorite series. It had a consistent look throughout the series and until the last couple years, there were few delayed release dates. The consistent nature of the artwork is what puts the series above Sandman IMO. I'm sure the Absolute Sandmans look fantastic with a digital look, but there still some artists' work I felt took away from the story.

I have all of them in trade paperbacks and have no real desire to buy the absolutes. They're too large to store in my living space.
Old 05-29-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I had the first three TPBs, followed the rest via singles. During the last year or so, it got pretty damn confusing, due to the longer gaps between issues. After reading it all in one sitting, it made a lot more sense.
Old 10-10-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought I'd just add that I'm finally making my way through the remainder of this. I had borrowed the first handful of TPB from a friend years ago before the series (or at least the TPB releases) were finished. I finally borrowed TPBs 5-10. Looking forward to finish off the last few I've yet to read.
Old 10-10-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read through this earlier this year and really dug it. When you guys read it, do you sound it like "Why" or "E"? Stupid question I know.
Old 10-10-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

"Why" for Yorick, right?

The pages in the TPB don't seem like they'd hold up to normal wear and tear... I also collect Fables in that format, and maybe it's just that Vertigo books all have that kind of paper. I assume the HCs are better quality? I guess the TPBs will last until they make an Absolute or an Omnibus or something.
Old 10-10-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's Y for Yorick. No idea why, but I always pronounced it the other way in my head. (probably basing it on a name like Yves)
Old 10-10-11, 07:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So am I the only one who thing the ending kills all the momentum built up in the first two thirds of the series? I think it was consistently brilliant until they went into the backstory of the Israeli lady and it never regained the momentum again. I prefer Ex Machina over Y.
Old 10-10-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Yeah, it's Y for Yorick. No idea why, but I always pronounced it the other way in my head. (probably basing it on a name like Yves)
It's also "Y", as in the chromosome.
Old 10-10-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I got the chromosome thing too. Like I said, I don't really know why I pronounced it that way.
Old 10-10-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
"Why" for Yorick, right?

The pages in the TPB don't seem like they'd hold up to normal wear and tear... I also collect Fables in that format, and maybe it's just that Vertigo books all have that kind of paper. I assume the HCs are better quality? I guess the TPBs will last until they make an Absolute or an Omnibus or something.
The Y The Last Man hardcovers are really nice. They are over-sized, about 8 1/2" x 11", and are printed on thick matte paper. The paper, though it isn't glossy, has a really nice feel to it.

I really wish they would use this exact format for more Vertigo series like Transmetropolitan and The Invisibles. (Haven't seen a Preacher hardcover, but it sounds like the paper they used is the standard low-quality Vertigo shit.)
Old 10-11-11, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
I read through this earlier this year and really dug it. When you guys read it, do you sound it like "Why" or "E"? Stupid question I know.
I pronounce it like "why", but the other way could work. "y" is spanish for "and" and pronounced "e". The monkey's name is Ambersand which is the name for "&" which means "and".

So, Y works a few ways
Old 10-11-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like others, I read it as "Why," which in addition to the other interpretations could also be read as "Why the last man?"

I love this series but read it in pieces and slightly out of order. I'd like to sit down and read it in progression. Actually I started to. After I read it in purchased and library TPBs, I didn't have an urge to get the HCs, but the first two were on sale at my LCS so I got them and read them, but didn't continue from there. I was thinking I'd liked the format but then saw my previous post in this thread:

Originally Posted by davidh777
Old 10-19-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I finally finished this last week. It probably didn't help that I read 1-4, and 5-10 years apart. However, the formula was the same - get to new location, find trouble, clue on where to go next.

I thought the story was handled well. I really liked that it was a mature subject and took the time to show how different walks of life managed to cope with the disaster and the consequences. I would have liked a better sense of time as it passed. Sure there were references, but time outside of the band of travelers felt absent.

Unfortunately, I think it was ultimately too much like Lost. I find that ironic since Lost was plastered all over the cover of many volumes. I think the characters were handled in a Lost fashion, but I ultimately felt let down by the resolution to the characters and their motives. It came off as forced. I do think the mystery at large concerning the male population was handled well and made sense. If that was similar to the island mystery of Lost, then Y handled it better.

My specific issues:

Yorick, his motivation and love interest.
Spoiler:
He travels around the world for the love of his life, literally through hell, and balks because she says she was going to break up with him before everything went upside down? That felt like such an irrational move. Beth (1) didn't come off as selfish for suddenly having the last man to herself, but genuinely glad to see him despite her previous plan. Then you add to that his sudden love for 355. Sure I get they were good friends and close, but it was always more brother/sister to me. He didn't even start to consider that until Dr. Mann forced the issue like a character development anvil - "See audience, Yorick really loves her, he just doesn't know it. Wink, wink." Then Beth (1) ends up with the "hero" of the story in Hero? Weak.

The Israeli story line.
Spoiler:
Really? They pushed this for so long it felt significant. Yet it was all really a red herring since this lady had some demented notion of honor and death, looking to be killed at the hands of a man? Despite her motivations, I find it hard to believe Yorick wouldn't be more pissed at her for killing 355 and this mother. This probably took up 1/5-1/6 of the entire effort, including her backstory. Completely unnecessary, and anticlimactic.

By far, the saddest point of the story for me, was
Spoiler:
the death of &. I almost lost it.

Despite my displeasure above, I really liked that the story at large wrapped up and the read was given a glimpse into the future and how the world had changed decades after the conclusion of the main story.
Old 05-05-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So it looks like they're rereleasing the deluxe HCs in TPB form. I picked up the first couple HCs and figured I could gradually add the rest, but I never did. The new editions look nice, but I don't know if there's any difference in content. I guess I'm not too OCD to mix hardcover and paperback assuming I eventually get all these. I have a few of the original trades as well. My collection of this series is a mess.

Vol. 4 came out in February and the last one is scheduled for August. The Absolutes are still a thing, with the second coming out in September.