Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

Originally Posted by mlister
Well this got me. Which means that you get all the credit/blame for the purchase. Better hope I like it.

If anyone else is being tempted, B&N.com has some nice coupons starting Wednesday. Absolute Justice will be ~$40 for members, ~$50 for non-members if the current price holds up. Much cheaper than amazon. Coupon info can be found at the bottom of the first post here. You do need a mastercard to use the 40%/25% off coupons though.
Had a little trouble ordering this. I forgot my password and thought all my member data would transfer with my name, phone and address but that wasn't the case. Had to call customer service and create a new account and manually enter my membership # in addition to the coupon. But it finally took and the order was placed. $44.03 and (allegedly) 3 business day free shipping, so with the holidays I'll probably get it about this time next week. Frankly the book I'm really jonesing for right now is the IDW Rip Kirby, but I already special ordered that in store so I'm just hoping it will show up by the 29th. I may make a trip in anyway and see if I can order another copy and pay for it in store and use the coupon (one time in-store and one time online).

Always balked at dropping $25 for a B&N membership, but I gotta say between the Criterion sale and these 40% and even 25%off coupons, it's paid for itself several times over already.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 11-25-09 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

My comic shop had a big Blackest Weekend sale with a lot of Absolute Editions for $40. I had V for Vendetta in my hand, but then foolishly decided to pass. It ate at me all night and I decided to go back the next morning.

But when I got there, it was gone.
Old 11-30-09, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TFAW.com has Absolute V for $49 today for their Cyber Monday sale. And they have HC Eternals, and Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born for $1!

I picked up Absolute LOEG Vol. 2 from them in their Black Friday sale for $30. Along with the cheap copy of Absolute Justice it was a good week for Absolutes.

Free shipping code for tfaw.com: FALLING (for orders of $30 or more).
Old 11-30-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I noticed that Absolute Justice is currently 50% off on Amazon. May be for today only.
Old 11-30-09, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by mlister
TFAW.com has Absolute V for $49 today for their Cyber Monday sale. And they have HC Eternals, and Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born for $1!

I picked up Absolute LOEG Vol. 2 from them in their Black Friday sale for $30. Along with the cheap copy of Absolute Justice it was a good week for Absolutes.

Free shipping code for tfaw.com: FALLING (for orders of $30 or more).
How did I miss the LOEG? I did get the Eternals and found a Hulk Omnibus for $39.99 would have loved to have gotten the LOEG to go with it.
Old 12-01-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My copy of Absolute Justice came in today and it seems like a mixed bag to me.
One the one hand, the primary content, the story, looks stellar. Ross's paint job over Doug B's pencils scales up and looks much tighter and vibrant than the work on Kingdom Come did via its Absolute. And it is great to have this all between two boards (all I had was the was the floppies till now).
On the other hand, I was underwhelmed by the majority of the bonus material which seems, apart from a dozen or so pencil pages, a rehash of everything that has already been in the other editions of this material. Maybe the only bright spot is the disappointing photos of the the Justice figure line (all the figures are shot from the waist up) which for once makes me glad I never did bother to collect them.
I'm also not a fan of the use of the dust jacket when it is already going inside a slipcase. They should have simply used illustrated boards if they felt they needed to showcase most Ross art. In fact I don't think I can ever recall seeing a dust jacket used with a slip case. Superior protection of the boards (and interior) is usually the raison d'etre of the slipcase anyway. It's not only a redundancy, but the Jacket is ill fitting and baggy, resulting in a sloppy looking spine profile, on every copy of this I've seen so far.

This is only the second Absolute I've bought. I scored a great deal about this time 3 years ago on New Frontier and that was well worth the upgrade. This one, only because it's replacing floppies. If I already had the hardcovers, or paid $50-$70 for it, I would be ticked.
Old 12-01-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

I have a few slipcased books that have dust jackets; the signed/numbered edition of Poppy Z. Brite's "Swamp Foetus," comes to mind.

It's kind of a pain in the ass to have a dust jacket and a slipcase, since the slipcase can damage the dust jacket if it isn't on just right. (The copy of Swamp Foetus I bought has the DJ in a mylar cover, so damage isn't much of a concern.)
Old 12-02-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mylar DJ protectors are an essential to me if you have a lot of hardcovers with Djs.

There was a used bookstore here where I used to be able to get brand new mylar DJ protectors super cheap (last time it was $.50 each). Unfortunately the store is now teetering on the brink and not buying them anymore, and even though i stocked up on about 20 the last time I bought them, I'm now down to one left.
I have the choice of using it on Justice, a new OoP J.W. Waterhouse book I scored cheap but is already going for big bucks, or a copy of Rip Kirby Vol. 1 that just came in.
I'm leaning towards the Rip Kirby, because that will be getting the most use over the next few weeks, but the Waterhouse should probably be protected before anything else.
Old 12-03-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Wouldn't the Mylar protectors make the Absolute too big to fit into the slipcase?
Old 12-03-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wouldn't the Mylar protectors make the Absolute too big to fit into the slipcase?
I tried it on Hush and couldn't get it to fit. Didn't try on anymore. That said i have bought collectable hardcovers in slipcases before where the Dj had a protector. Maybe I had the wrong kind or was folding it wrong. And in IMHO DJ + Slipcover is NOT overkill.
Old 12-03-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know there are mylar bags that fit, I have my copy of Lost Girls in one.
Old 12-03-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I know there are mylar bags that fit, I have my copy of Lost Girls in one.
I'm sure they make mylars big enough, it's just that the Absolutes I have are a pretty tight fit into their respective slipcases...
Old 12-03-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think we were talking about bags, but actual covers like library books have. I order mine off eBay.
Old 12-08-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so absolute Planetary vol1 and 2 are 37.50 each at DCBS this month...I have never read any of them...worth it or no?
Old 12-08-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh man, so tempted at that price.
Old 12-08-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
so absolute Planetary vol1 and 2 are 37.50 each at DCBS this month...I have never read any of them...worth it or no?
Hell yes! If I ordered these now, would I get charged now or when they ship next year? Anyone know?
Old 12-08-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe it's the month that they ship.
Old 12-08-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're ordering Planetary from DCBS, planetary5 will get you an extra five percent off.
Old 12-08-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, it says on the DCBS site:

Credit card orders that do not contain comic books, trade paperbacks or hardcovers will be charged as the items ship. All other credit card orders will generally be charged in the month after the order is placed. For example, orders for December 2009 items (coded DEC09XXXX) will be charged about January 14-16 if the order includes comic books, trade paperbacks or hardcovers.
So I guess we'd get charged next month.
Old 12-08-09, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Hell yes! If I ordered these now, would I get charged now or when they ship next year? Anyone know?
This month's orders would be charged mid-January.

Edit: "...missed it by that much..."
Old 12-11-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the DCBS Planetary deal, in for both. I had ordered the original Planetary Absolute from my local store back when it first came out. Someone swiped it from their other location before it got to my store. I saw one at a different store but knew I had it on order so didn't pick it up. Well my store was never able to get me another copy and the book sold out everywhere This cheap price ALMOST makes up for it
Old 12-12-09, 08:07 AM

I went ahead and ordered these as well, it is such a good deal it was hard to pass up. I do love absolutes. I know very little about Planetary however, but I have read a couple of Warren Ellis' other books.

July seems like such a long time from now, I will probably forget all about it and have no idea what the box is when it arrives.
Old 12-12-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
I went ahead and ordered these as well, it is such a good deal it was hard to pass up. I do love absolutes. I know very little about Planetary however, but I have read a couple of Warren Ellis' other books.

July seems like such a long time from now, I will probably forget all about it and have no idea what the box is when it arrives.
that is half the fun...when it shows up , I can tell my wife I have no idea what it is, I must have ordered it months ago, and I wont be lying...
Old 01-10-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Any idea why Absolute Sandman vol.2 went out of print and when will DC reprint them? It's just my luck that I finally decided to get these volumes and I can't pick up the second one after receiving vol.1 for Christmas. Ugh!
Old 01-11-10, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Any idea why Absolute Sandman vol.2 went out of print and when will DC reprint them? It's just my luck that I finally decided to get these volumes and I can't pick up the second one after receiving vol.1 for Christmas. Ugh!
I'd reckon it went out of print because they sold out of them.

I sort of remember reading somewhere (Gaiman's blog, maybe?) that DC was going to be keeping the Absolute Sandman volumes in print. If this is the case, then I'd expect volume two get reprinted eventually. Absolute Watchmen went out of print for a while, and DC issued a second print a few months later.

Not sure what criteria DC uses for which volumes get reprints, and which don't. Watchmen obviously gets to stay in print, but some Wildstorm stuff like Authority and LOEG doesn't.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.