Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The happy/sunny things that make you feel good about comics thread! (no sour grapes)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The happy/sunny things that make you feel good about comics thread! (no sour grapes)

Old 11-09-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The current mood of this sub forum is pretty sour if you ask me. A lot of us are frustrated with comics for on reason or another: tired of events, crossovers, Bendis, late books, the price of comics, people waiting for trades, primadonna creators, the big publisher's attitudes about any number of things, superhero books, continuity or lack thereof, etc etc e.t.c. Fine, I get it. I have my things to, but I ask you to cast that shit aside.

We are all here because (I assume) we are all reading comics (or at least read them at some point). So here is what I would like you to do -- post 3 to 5 things that make you feel good about comics these days. A certain monthly title, a trade, a certain story, a creator, a character, an upcoming project, absolutely anything you can think of that makes you happy about comics.

And please try to keep the things you mention to be in the spirit of the thread and not snarky or sardonic if you can help it. So no "I'm happy that All Star Batman and Robin is so late so I don't have to read it" kind of stuff.

C'mon, there has to be something that has you happy or excited about comics. Let me hear 'em.

My List:

1. Gail Simone & the Dodson's on Wonder Woman - The Dodson's draw very pretty and Simone has an almost supernatural ability to write characters in such a way that brings their fullest potential out. Black Canary wouldn't be in the role she has in the DCU now if not for Simone's work on Birds of Prey. Wonder Woman has always been an important character, but I think Simone is going to be able to restore some of that luster. And at worse she will write an entertaining book starring a character I want to care about.

2. The Killer from Archaia Studios Press - Ok, this book is AWESOME! I've read three issues so far and I am absolutely and completely riveted by this story. The Killer is a French comic that has been translated and reformated for American audiences, and it essentially is a character study of this Hitman. You spend most of the comic getting into his head while he waits for his target to turn up for the hit-- and it takes off from there. A lot of the comic is full of asides that follow the Killer's thoughts to flashbacks or pieces of historical trivia. It might sound dry, but it is really interesting. It's a very adult title in that it doesn't talk down to you while also not being full of itself either. The writer just knew what type of story he wanted to tell, and isn't following any typical conventions to do it. The art and layouts are also pitch perfect for this tale. I cannot wait to see how this story plays out. This is the type of book that could sway any non comic reader to the dark side. READ THIS!

3. Cliff Chiang (+awesome color artists)- Chiang has been around for a minute, but I've only recently discovered his work. He has always been a good artist, but recently thanks to being paired with the right kinds of color artists that really complement his style, he is rapidly becoming one of my favorite artists. I can't pin point what I like so much about his style, but I just know the comics of his I've read recently make me happy. He did the amazing Dr 13 mini and is the main artist on Black Canary/Green Arrow.

Here is an awesome commission he did for someone at a con that I would seriously consider murder in order to own:

Here is a page of his work (uncolored) but it's still fantastic

These are just a few of the things that still get me jazzed about comics.
Old 11-09-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chiang has been around for a minute, but I've only recently discovered his work.
Not exactly an amazing feat..you discovering his work recently...if he's only been around for a short time.

His work does look pretty snappy. It kind of reminds me of Allred.
Old 11-10-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Not exactly an amazing feat..you discovering his work recently...if he's only been around for a short time.
By saying "a minute" it means a while, not a long while, but still a while. About five years as best I can tell. If I said "only a minute" it would mean only a short time. But I can see where the confusion came from.
Old 11-11-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
By saying "a minute" it means a while, not a long while, but still a while. About five years as best I can tell. If I said "only a minute" it would mean only a short time. But I can see where the confusion came from.
The minute is a unit of time equal to 1/60th of an hour or 60 seconds. Some rare minutes have 59 or 61 seconds; see leap second. The minute is not an SI unit, however it is accepted for use with SI units.

The first division was originally known as a "prime minute", from Latin "(pars) minuta prima", meaning "first minute (i.e. small) part (or division)". Likewise, the second was known as a "second minute", meaning "the second division".

Don't be bringin' your street slang on the boards!
Old 11-11-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Went to a local comic show, and picked up 106 comics for $40. Amongst the pile were a nice run of Starman (Robinson and Harris), and also a run of Power of Shazam! (who knew PoS! ran for over 40 issues?)

Also filled some holes from the $1 comic bins. Bought the Serenity HC for $10.
Old 11-12-07, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The current mood of this sub forum is pretty sour if you ask me. A lot of us are frustrated with comics for on reason or another: tired of events, crossovers, Bendis, late books, the price of comics, people waiting for trades, primadonna creators, the big publisher's attitudes about any number of things, superhero books, continuity or lack thereof, etc etc e.t.c. Fine, I get it. I have my things to, but I ask you to cast that shit aside.
Not meant to threadcrap on your thread...but I have to say that is because the state of the comics industry is an extremely poor one.

We are all here because (I assume) we are all reading comics (or at least read them at some point). So here is what I would like you to do -- post 3 to 5 things that make you feel good about comics these days. A certain monthly title, a trade, a certain story, a creator, a character, an upcoming project, absolutely anything you can think of that makes you happy about comics.
It's not that we don't enjoy comics, it's just that the comics we do enjoy are so few and far between.

1. Gail Simone & the Dodson's on Wonder Woman - The Dodson's draw very pretty and Simone has an almost supernatural ability to write characters in such a way that brings their fullest potential out. Black Canary wouldn't be in the role she has in the DCU now if not for Simone's work on Birds of Prey. Wonder Woman has always been an important character, but I think Simone is going to be able to restore some of that luster. And at worse she will write an entertaining book starring a character I want to care about.
I agree. WW is one of those characters that hasn't been thoroughly revamped in an entertaining way like Batman and Superman have. I'm surprised she wasn't put on the book sooner.

2. The Killer from Archaia Studios Press - Ok, this book is AWESOME! I've read three issues so far and I am absolutely and completely riveted by this story. The Killer is a French comic that has been translated and reformated for American audiences, and it essentially is a character study of this Hitman. You spend most of the comic getting into his head while he waits for his target to turn up for the hit-- and it takes off from there. A lot of the comic is full of asides that follow the Killer's thoughts to flashbacks or pieces of historical trivia. It might sound dry, but it is really interesting. It's a very adult title in that it doesn't talk down to you while also not being full of itself either. The writer just knew what type of story he wanted to tell, and isn't following any typical conventions to do it. The art and layouts are also pitch perfect for this tale. I cannot wait to see how this story plays out. This is the type of book that could sway any non comic reader to the dark side. READ THIS!
I love this comic. It's a case of "bad character, good story". This type of character has been done to death but the execution here is done extremely well. Each issue feels "full" - unlike most books where i coast through them from beginning to end in 30 seconds, something about this book really satisfies me when i'm done reading it. It's probably because the book is well paced.

I know this is sad, but my favorite thing to happen in comic dom is

Spoiler:
Agent 355's death in Y: The Last Man. Seriously, the book has hinted at it so much leading up to this point that I felt almost as if he wasn't going to go through with it for fear of crushing his audience. But I shouldn't have doubted BKV. Given everything that's happened, it's perfectly justified. There are so many things about her we never learned, and she did so... so... so... MANY bad things during the comic that she had to die.
Old 11-12-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Chiang is great. I love his work and that Batman & Joker is awesome.

I read the first tpb of SCALPED this weekend and thought it was great. A compelling story with great artwork. Mature themes at play here so it's not for the kiddies but a great alternative to superhero comics.
Old 11-12-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,430 Likes on 912 Posts
I'm re-reading my old run of The Invisibles. Boy, I love that comic.
Old 11-12-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts
3 to 5 things, huh? Without being snarky...

1. I love that we're living in the era of the collected tpb, and that we're getting releases of older titles. The cheap showcase collections (where's my Captain Carrot???), and the classic stuff like Miller's DD, Byrne's FF, Simonson's Thor, and the 80's Legion collections as well. Even if the current market isn't suiting your tastes, there's tons of classic stuff that's still readily available.

2. JSA is awesome, as it's always been, and I've really enjoyed JLA recently as well. Very few delays on either title. Also really enjoying Supergirl and the Legion of SuperHeroes, which seems far removed from all that Countdown confusion.

3. Large Hardcover collections. I just love reading a thick volume of comics that I can just devour. Planet Hulk, Annihilation (though I think I missed the boat on volumes 2 and 3, which are only available in tpb now), Invincible, Ultimate X-men, Ultimate FF, Runaways. I don't even have the space for all of them, but I love them.

4. Manga. I know most comic book fans dislike or avoid manga, but I love them... I used to buy them at Japanese bookstores as a kid and just look through the pictures. Now they're available for relatively cheap, in collections that mimic the Japanese tankoubans, and on a fast release schedule. It used to be that you'd have to buy some overpriced monthly comic with artwork flipped over (to mimic Western comics), and wait months and months for the next bit of story. Now there's more released than can fit on my bookshelf. And soon Dark Horse will re-release Appleseed...

On the haven't-read-yet-but-in-my-pile-and-looking-forward-to:
Godland HC
Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil HC
New Universe HC
Mouseguard collection
The Spirit HC
Old 11-12-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
I get a certain sense of joy holding (and reading) a lot of the Marvel Omnibus books, knowing that I'm holding in my hands lengthy runs of some of the best work produced in the medium, collected together in one place and given the best possible presentation they've ever had.
Old 11-12-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superboy
It's not that we don't enjoy comics, it's just that the comics we do enjoy are so few and far between. [/spoiler]
I couldn't disagree more, every Wed, more comics come out that I love than I have time to read. For me, as far as posting with the small group of comic lovers here, my taste is just so different from everyone's here (although Cliff Chiang's work on Dr. 13 was indeed awesome).

Some things worth getting exciting about with comics, if you are a big dork like me & can't get enough of the medium. . .

Jason - The Norwegian cartoonist Jason combines a poker-faced minimalist anthropomorphic style with more than a passing nod to the "clear-line" ethos of Hergé. As he has shown in a series of acclaimed graphic novels, this seemingly limited approach has proven amazingly versatile, allowing Jason to create gag comedy, romantic melodramas (Tell Me Something), dramas (Hey, Wait…), and genuine thrillers (the period detective novel The Iron Wagon) — often without even the benefit of words, and using a stylishly minimalist color palette to boot.

I Killed Adolf Hitler
In this full-color graphic novel, Jason posits a strange, violent world in which contract killers can be hired to rub out pests, be they dysfunctional relatives, abusive co-workers, loud neighbors, or just annoyances in general — and as you might imagine, their services are in heavy demand. One such killer is given the unique job of traveling back in time to kill Adolf Hitler in 1939... but things go spectacularly wrong. Hitler overpowers the would-be assassin and sends himself to the present, leaving the killer stranded in the past. The killer eventually finds his way back to the present by simply waiting the decades out as he ages, and teams up with his now much-younger girlfriend to track down the missing fascist dictator... at which point the book veers further into Jason territory, as the cartoonist's minimalist, wickedly dry sense of humor slows down the story to a crawl: for long patches absolutely nothing happens, but nobody can make nothing happening as riotously entertaining as Jason does... and finally, when the reader isn't paying attention, he brings it together with a shocking, perfectly logical and yet completely unexpected climax which also solves a mystery from the very beginning of the book the reader had forgotten about. As always, I Killed Adolf Hitler is rendered in Jason's crisp deadpan neo-clear-line style, once again augmented by lovely, understated coloring.

The Left Bank Gang
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound, and James Joyce walk into a Parisian bar… no, it’s not the beginning of a joke, but the premise of Jason’s unique new graphic novel. Set in 1920s Paris, The Left Bank Gang is a deliciously inventive re-imagining of these four literary figures as not only typical Jason anthropomorphics, but…graphic novelists! Yes, in Jason’s warped world, cartooning is the dominant form of fiction, and not only do these four work literary giants work in the comics medium but they get together to discuss pen vs. brush, chat about the latest graphic novels from Dostoevsky (“I can’t tell any of his characters apart!”) to Faulkner (“Hasn’t he heard of white space? His panels are too crowded!”), and bemoan their erratic careers. With guest appearances by Zelda Fitzgerald and Jean-Paul Sartre, and a few remarkable twists and turns along the way, and you’ve got one of the funniest and most playful graphic novels of the year.

Queen & Country The Definitive Edition Volume 1

The fact that we have a Madman on-going series!!!!! For reasons like this. . .

Old 11-12-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cliff Chiang also did the art for much of Verigo's underrated "Human Target". You should be able to pick up backissues pretty cheap since the book's total readership was about a dozen.

Sessa already took two of my picks with "The Black Dossier" and "Madman", but there are a couple other reasons to be happy.

* Vertigo - With books like Y-The Last Man, Fables, 100 Bullets, DMZ, and a string of worthy writers (not to mention Leonardo Manco's art) on Hellblazer, the Vertigo imprint has never been this consistent.

* The Spirit - Revamping The Spirit would be one of the worst ideas of all time, if only it weren't for Darwyn Cooke. The best monthly title around now.

* The Sinestro War - Every other major comics event in recent memory just seems boring and silly when compared to what's going on in Green Lantern right now. It's also greatly improved the monthly Green Lantern Corps. And you don't have to buy 20 different tiltes to get the whole story. This is the way these things should be done. Epic comic storytelling at it's finest. (At least until they retcon the whole thing.)

* Brian K. Vaughan - Is there anything he can't do? He even made me like Dr. Strange!

* Matt Wagner doing Zorro - I can't think of a better writer to take on a Zorro book. Just wish that he would be supplying the art as well.

* Starman - Tony Harris has hinted of reteaming with James Robinson for more stories of Jack Knight. Only rumors right now, but it's enough to get me excited.
Old 11-12-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gamblor187
* Vertigo - With books like Y-The Last Man, Fables, 100 Bullets, DMZ, and a string of worthy writers (not to mention Leonardo Manco's art) on Hellblazer, the Vertigo imprint has never been this consistent.
I love Vertigo. I love how the stories are truly "mature", i.e. not filled with gratuitous sex and violence like Image books. I love how the stories are filled with so much awesome subtext and layers, it's really mature reading.

* The Spirit - Revamping The Spirit would be one of the worst ideas of all time, if only it weren't for Darwyn Cooke. The best monthly title around now.
I loved it as well - just like most things that Darwyn Cooke does. I love how his style seems so personal but draws on the greats.

* The Sinestro War - Every other major comics event in recent memory just seems boring and silly when compared to what's going on in Green Lantern right now. It's also greatly improved the monthly Green Lantern Corps. And you don't have to buy 20 different tiltes to get the whole story. This is the way these things should be done. Epic comic storytelling at it's finest. (At least until they retcon the whole thing.)
Very little of the Green Lantern history has ever been retconned. A true retcon is reversing something and pretending it never happened. Hal Jordan going insane is still touched upon constantly, Kyle Raynor's involvement in the corps, all the other Green Lanterns we've seen through history are still here. If anything, Geoff Johns has added significantly to the mythology of the Corps, something that hasn't happened since the end of the Silver Age. I love how he totally modernized the book but at the same time tapping into what made it great during the SA. I love how he makes the GLC cool again, and how incredibly diverse all the corps members are both in their personality and how they use their rings. Every character, even minor ones, get a chance to shine.

* Brian K. Vaughan - Is there anything he can't do? He even made me like Dr. Strange!
Agree totally. Dr. Strange isn't bad, just boring. His books are so fun!

* Starman - Tony Harris has hinted of reteaming with James Robinson for more stories of Jack Knight. Only rumors right now, but it's enough to get me excited.
Loved that book. I have the entire run. Eventually had to get all the TPBs because i read it so much that I was afraid of wearing out my comics! Great writing, great art. Fantastic character.
Old 11-13-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig

3. Large Hardcover collections. I just love reading a thick volume of comics that I can just devour. Planet Hulk, Annihilation (though I think I missed the boat on volumes 2 and 3, which are only available in tpb now), Invincible, Ultimate X-men, Ultimate FF, Runaways. I don't even have the space for all of them, but I love them.
Oh yeah, this is a great one. I like that this trend has taken off so well that all publishers are doing it. These along with massive TPBs like the Complete Bone, making giving series a shot so easy. I only wish they would continue to do so for short series that seem beloved but couldn't find their audience like The Losers. I just don't know if that is financially viable.

I have a new thing that is making me happy - Marvel has finally created an online subscription service for comics. It isn't perfect yet, but the amount of stuff offered and the price seem to a good sign of how this is going to be in the future.
Old 11-13-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What issues comprises of the Definitive Queen and Country?
Old 11-13-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gamblor187
Sessa already took two of my picks with "The Black Dossier"
And I forgot to mention, I know this is hard to believe, but it actually comes out tomorrow

All that & you didn't mention my 2 favorite Vertigo books right now. Jack of Fables & Scalped.

I just finished The Hood hardcover, & it's yet another quality BKV story, & probably a lesser known one.

Even more exciting for me, since I'm such a junky for HCs, is early next year when the first volume of the Complete Starman Saga hardcovers comes out.
Old 11-15-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2. The Killer from Archaia Studios Press - Ok, this book is AWESOME! I've read three issues so far and I am absolutely and completely riveted by this story. [IMG]http://www.cliffchiang.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/wp-
Just finished the first hardcover. It's 42 different kinds of awesome.

Old 11-15-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Just finished the first hardcover. It's 42 different kinds of awesome.
That's a French comic, originally, right? I've been meaning to pick that up - a second collection just came out, didn't it?
Old 11-15-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it was originally a French book.

I've had a lot of comic "surprises" this year, books that just came out of left field and knocked me on my ass, but I'm hard pressed to say The Killer wasn't the most satisfying read I've had all year. I have to give that some more thought.

I will say that the panel layouts and pacing in this book makes referring to The Ultimates as "cinematic" absolutely silly (you can still say it's "widescreen" though). This book reads just like a great movie.
Old 11-15-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see a movie adaptation starring Vincent Cassel - French-made, of course. Being French, they don't have to worry about the SAG strike.
Old 11-20-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I'll throw in a comment or two about my love for Eric Powell's Goon series from Dark Horse. This is consistently one of the funniest books I've ever read. I just finished the Goon Noir tpb which is a collection of black & white short stories from various creators (a la Batman B&W0 and, while it isn't as good as Powell's works, was still a hoot. I highly recommend the Goon.

Oh, and I just put the Killer in my cart at Amazon.
Old 11-20-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ytrez
I'll throw in a comment or two about my love for Eric Powell's Goon series from Dark Horse. This is consistently one of the funniest books I've ever read. I just finished the Goon Noir tpb which is a collection of black & white short stories from various creators (a la Batman B&W0 and, while it isn't as good as Powell's works, was still a hoot. I highly recommend the Goon.

Oh, and I just put the Killer in my cart at Amazon.
Have you seen Superbad? there's a poster for Goon in Mclovin's room

I have to say that I love Green Lantern. I love how they retcon without making it seem like anything that happened was any less important, or that it didn't happen at all. I love how the current series draws upon so much of the rich history and characters that it's going to be a long time before the book gets tired. 4 characters and countless more background characters, all with their own personalities, side stories, and characterizations? that right there says 5+ year run with plenty of depth, MINIMAL FILLER, and lovely art. I honestly don't mind the delays. I love this book. I love Geoff Johns.
Old 11-20-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Goon is & has been my single favorite comic being published since the original mini-series. And FINALLY the Chinatown original graphic novel actually comes out tomorrow which give us the first stories of The Goon's origin.

And yeah, GL has been great.
Old 11-21-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
1. Ed Brubaker

2. Vertigo (Y, Fables/Jack, Scalped)

3. Brian K. Vaughn

4. Walking Dead

5. Green Lantern (Sinestro War, Corps)