Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the current state of Marvel Comics?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What is the current state of Marvel Comics?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-01, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I was thinking about getting a subscription to the Avengers which was my favorite comic in the 80's, but I am way out of touch. Is Marvel still the big player they were in the 80's when they nearly dominated the market? It seems like they are publishing a lot less titles than they did a few years ago, but I have really fallen behind on whats going on. I know the independents are much bigger than they were a few years ago. Is DC number one now?
Old 05-02-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know exact sales figures (I'll post a link that has them later) but as far as I know Marvel is still top dog & becoming even bigger at the moment. A lot of people seem to think Marvel is going bankrupt or that comics are dying but I have a friend that co-owns a comic book store & Marvel is absolutley still the main publishers & comic sales are the best they've been in over 10 years. They have a new Editor in Chief Joe Quesada that completely relauched all their main titles (including Avengers) from number 1 & . Also with so many comic book movies coming out(Spider-Man, Hulk, Ghost Rider etc.) comics are hot right now. Marvel is also relaunching all of the X-men related books which are still the number 1 selling comic books on the market.

IF your an Avengers fan I cannot recommend enough getting the Avengers Forever trade. It's written by Kurt Busiek & has incredible art, the entire point of that series was to clear up all of the Avengers continuity problems. However if you subscribe directly through Marvel you can expect your books to ship very late. I
Old 05-02-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the help. Avengers Forever sounds like a good place to start.
Old 05-04-01, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marvel is actually doing really well right now. They're putting out some seriously good quality work with the Thunderbolts, Avengers, Black Panther, and the entire Marvel Knights line. Even the doggone X-books, which I HATE with a passion (a redundant line if I've ever used one), are getting better.

The only thing I don't like about Marvel right now is this: they're limiting the print runs of their comics (they won't go back and print extra copies for a single printing). It's an effort to resurrect the comic "collecting" idea, but that's what got the industry in so much trouble to begin with.