$13.48
Evil Dead TPB
$3.88
Werewolf By Night TPB In The Blood - nick & dent
$5.09
Subtotal: $44.60
Shipping: $9.68
Total: $54.28

Geez,this is the first time I spent money on comics since...since...um..Planet Comicon 2010?!
Sure wish there selection of Judge Dredd titles was larger.
Old 11-22-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
While it isn't physical comics, it looks like Dark Horse is going to offer every Star Wars comic it has available for $100 (more than 130) on Black Friday through its app.
Anyone use their app before (on iphone/ipad)? I didn't realize they have an entirely different app than comixology, and honestly I'm not that impressed.

For Kindle Fire owners, DC finally got their comics up and running (at least most of them, some other ones like Hush aren't out until Dec. 23). There are actually some good deals, as the most they charge is 9.99. I picked up the Return of Bruce Wayne collection and All Star Superman (despite the price comparison there, it's actually all 12 issues) for 10 bucks a piece, and I'm tempted by Long Halloween and Watchmen (even though I have the tpbs of both, and the hardcover of the latter)
Old 11-25-11, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I placed an order at TFAW's 80% off sale. I'm glad that I had logged on 4 hours beforehand to update my info as the site was running really slow once midnight PST hit (I had flashbacks to the dial-up era).

Back when the sale started I identified 15 Trades & HCs I'd be interested in if they lasted this long. Five were gone, including two that were higher priority for me, but I felt fortunate that the other 10 were still there, along with a 40% off TPB and a few random comics that I was planning on using for filler if I needed them.

I was a bit irked when I checked in again just before midnight as apparently someone had placed an order and one of my HC's was out of stock. I don't know why someone would order soon before the sale turned, but they did. OTOH, I was thankful that the TFAW ordering system informed me that one of the items in my cart was something I had previously ordered from them, as my usually methodical cataloguing system apparently failed me. So I ended up quite thankful that I had identified the random comics that I did as my order with them came to $50.69, which was just enough for the free shipping code that I stumbled upon.

But my relief was short-lived as I discovered that the coupon didn't work, and combined with the sales tax that I forgot that they charged, there was an extra $15.78 added to my order that I hadn't anticipated. I still ended up with a good deal, but $66.47 is just not as good as $50.69. Anyway, here's what I got, none of them Nick & Dent:

Alien Legion Omnibus 2 $4.99
Ghost Omnibus Volume 2 $4.99
Hitman TPB Vol. 5: Who Dares Wins $2.59
Living Dead SC Vol. 02 (supposed to contain an original Kirkman TWD prose story) $3.19
Supernatural Official Companion Season 4 TPB $2.99
Shanna TPB - Survival Of The Fittest $2.19
X-Men vs. Avengers Prem HC $3.99
X-Men Magik Storm And Illyana Prem HC $3.99
G.I. Joe Tales From The Cobra Wars TPB $10.19
Annihilators #2 (of 4) $0.99
Supergirl #63 $0.59
Haunt #15 $0.59
Legion Of Super Heroes #13 $1.79
Legion Of Super Heroes #14 $2.69
Legion Of Super Heroes #15 $2.69
Legion Of Super Heroes #16 $2.24
Old 11-25-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Looks like Amazon will have the complete Calvin and Hobbes as a lightning deal at 8 a.m. Pacific

EDIT: $79.50, 35% claimed five minutes in

Last edited by davidh777; 11-25-11 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-26-11, 01:51 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took me at least 8 minutes to go through the order process early Friday morning.It was that damn slow.
Managed to pick up the last Eerie and Creepy Archive HC's they had for 10 bucks pop,as well Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery Volume 1 (also 10 dollars).
Old 11-26-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice. They do have a couple Eeries at $20--not as good but not bad. I picked one up. I have a Creepy volume but this will be my first Eerie.
Old 11-28-11, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A couple more lightning deals tomorrow: Doonesbury retrospective at 8 a.m. Pacific and complete Far Side at noon
Old 11-29-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash

But my relief was short-lived as I discovered that the coupon didn't work, and combined with the sales tax that I forgot that they charged, there was an extra $15.78 added to my order that I hadn't anticipated. I still ended up with a good deal, but $66.47 is just not as good as $50.69. Anyway, here's what I got, none of them Nick & Dent:
What coupon did you attempt to use? There were some issues with coupons disappearing during checkout. Use their echat customer service deal and they may credit you the shipping back. Were any of those books from the book section or were they all from the graphic novel section?
Old 11-29-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by exharrison
What coupon did you attempt to use?
FDS50 , which I was told was good for free shipping when spending $50.00.

There were some issues with coupons disappearing during checkout. Use their echat customer service deal and they may credit you the shipping back. Were any of those books from the book section or were they all from the graphic novel section?
That's interesting to hear, I did have one book, with the rest GN's. I'll try asking them, thanks.
Old 11-29-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FDS50 , which I was told was good for free shipping when spending $50.00.

That's interesting to hear, I did have one book, with the rest GN's. I'll try asking them, thanks.
I used that coupon and I had a problem with the coupon. The guy who was monitoring the facebook page said not to go back to put it back in since load times were so bad. So I just did an electronic chat and they credited me the shipping charge. I would say go ahead and try, but you might get rejected because of the book. But I would say ask since with the load times being so slow, it would have been quite an endeavor to figure out which item was voiding the coupon.

Of course I probably shouldn't help you since it seems you got the copy of Hitman that was in my cart and ran out of stock while I was checking out :P
Old 12-01-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you get a refund on the shipping?
Old 12-01-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you get a refund on the shipping?
I just finally heard back from my initial inquiry, which I had e-mailed as the chat was done for the day:

"Thank you for contacting us. I am not exactly sure why you coupon code did not work. Unfortunately, coupons and gift certificates cannot be applied toward orders that have already been placed. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you, and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with".

Based on what you said about the FB comment then that seems strange. Maybe it's possible for them to adjust after the fact, but is something of a hassle? I don't know, but I'll give it one more try in Live Chat and if that doesn't work then I guess I'll just have to accept the charges.

Meanwhile, I'm glad that I found out that they have one retail store in California, and that explains why I was charged tax.

Of course I probably shouldn't help you since it seems you got the copy of Hitman that was in my cart and ran out of stock while I was checking out :P
I'm guessing that it probably was a different copy. Sorry that you didn't get it though, and thanks again for your help.
Old 12-01-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Success!

I tried again with Live Chat and even copied the FB statement from TFAW, and a different rep said that he'd credit me. He asked me if I was sure that I had inputted the code (which I am sure that I had, at least 2 times and I believe 3), but he said that it wasn't showing up on his end that I had and he seemed to doubt me. It sounds like their system was really having problems, but I said that I was sure that I hadn't done pre-orders, that I had entered the code, and asked politely if there was anything else in the order that disqualified me from the free shipping. He said no and to expect a credit in a few days.

Thanks again exharrison. I definitely appreciate the info (especially the FB which I never check) and encouragement.
Old 12-01-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I got my order today. I'm happy with the quality of all the books I ordered.
Old 12-01-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Success!

I tried again with Live Chat and even copied the FB statement from TFAW, and a different rep said that he'd credit me. He asked me if I was sure that I had inputted the code (which I am sure that I had, at least 2 times and I believe 3), but he said that it wasn't showing up on his end that I had and he seemed to doubt me. It sounds like their system was really having problems, but I said that I was sure that I hadn't done pre-orders, that I had entered the code, and asked politely if there was anything else in the order that disqualified me from the free shipping. He said no and to expect a credit in a few days.

Thanks again exharrison. I definitely appreciate the info (especially the FB which I never check) and encouragement.
Good to hear that. I think the after the fact thing is a policy. I think the adjustments they have been allowing is an exception for this sale. The sale was apparently completely beyond what they expected and were prepared for. I think he probably told us to contact customer service because it was taking 5-10 mins to load a page. So going back to put it back in would cost someone 10-20 mins extra. Or the CS could just do it. That is why referencing the FB/Twitter would probably help get them to do it.

Its all good about that trade. How it goes in a sale like that. I got enough good deals as it is.
Old 12-01-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I got my order today. I'm happy with the quality of all the books I ordered.
Did you get expedited shipping? Mine still show pending.
Old 12-01-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you get expedited shipping? Mine still show pending.
Nope, just did the normal one. I ordered when it was 70% though.
Old 12-02-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Nope, just did the normal one. I ordered when it was 70% though.
Well that makes sense. Especially after they said that shipments would take longer than normal for Friday-Monday sales. Expedited shipments are leaving sooner, though. I expect mine won't ship until next week.
Old 12-03-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon currently has Darwyn Cooke's second Parker adaptation, "The Outfit" for $10 (60% off). I finally broke down and ordered it along with "Parker, The Hunted".
Old 12-05-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good to hear that. I think the after the fact thing is a policy. I think the adjustments they have been allowing is an exception for this sale. The sale was apparently completely beyond what they expected and were prepared for. I think he probably told us to contact customer service because it was taking 5-10 mins to load a page. So going back to put it back in would cost someone 10-20 mins extra. Or the CS could just do it. That is why referencing the FB/Twitter would probably help get them to do it.
I'm sure that you're right. That makes a lot of sense. Though ime you're lucky if it only took 5-10 minutes for pages to load, my wait time was always 10+ and I think might have made it to 20 minutes once. I started right when the sale began and only had a few steps , but it still took about an hour for me to complete the process. Meanwhile, I just received an e-mail from them a few hours ago that included,

Stay Tuned: Watch Your Email Inbox for a Special Offer

We understand the frustration of waiting for all the cool stuff you ordered--that's why we're putting together a special offer as a thank-you to all of our loyal customers. Stay tuned, and thanks again!

So it really does seem that you're right that they hadn't expected things to get nearly so bad.

Its all good about that trade. How it goes in a sale like that. I got enough good deals as it is.
Glad to hear it.
Old 12-07-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Batman Files is an amazon lightning deal: $48.81 till noon Pacific
Old 12-16-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This day at http://www.tanga.com DC Comics BATGIRL is available for $24.99. Add coupon code BATGIRL on checkout to drop it to $11.99 or $1.00 per issue.
Credit to jonah from comicbookpage.com forums.
Not sure if I will get this. Good price, but I haven't really been enjoying the book so far.
Old 12-17-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Guess I should be checking bargaingraphicnovels more frequently. They had the Spidey McFarlane (39.99) and Whedon-Cassidy X-Men (29.99) omniboo listed today, but both were out of stock when I tried to add to cart. The other day they had the Legion The Curse for 14.99, though I already have it.
Old 12-23-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cheapgraphicnovels has updated their Home Page with "After Christmas Sale Dec 24-Jan 2nd Featured Absolute and Omnibus (see below) 50% OFF cover price!". They don't yet have any books listed, but I'd expect that they're coming.
Old 12-24-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cheapgraphicnovels has updated their Home Page with "After Christmas Sale Dec 24-Jan 2nd Featured Absolute and Omnibus (see below) 50% OFF cover price!". They don't yet have any books listed, but I'd expect that they're coming.
Live now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.