Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-17, 11:25 PM   #901
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,495
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Stuart Ng has got a pretty good sale going on right now until July 5. No coupon needed, but you have to spend $75 before the discounts kick in (and there are no discounts on new arrivals).

He's got a phenomenal selection of import and hard to find artist/illustration monographs, how to books, and comic albums. His stuff is usually seriously overpriced, but there is some generous discounting going on right now, bringing most things down to a reasonable level with some true bargains here and there.

recent back issues of Illustration Magazine can be had for just over $10, and many of the imported Comix Buro sketchbook series come out to around $18 (still pricey for the size, but the best deal on them I've seen in a long time...and they are beautifully produced, if slim).

I usually check his site out monthly just to keep tabs on things and familiarize myself with new artists I'm not aware of- but I rarely buy anything anymore.

If you are going to buy something from him though, now is the best time to do it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 02:22 PM   #902
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,394
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

My wallet hates you Paul.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 07:17 PM   #903
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,495
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals



If it's any consolation, mine hates me too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 08:31 AM   #904
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,394
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Knowing full well that I'm a hoarder and attempt to mentally justify binging in various sales almost weekly, I think my logic might be sound on this sale.

I really enjoy exclusives and "unique pieces of history". Owning something signed by creators I love gives me great pleasure. I've proven over my 50 years that I don't go to cons or other signing appearances all that often, maybe once a year on average at best. So grabbing somewhat cheap unique items here seemed like a good compromise.

I'll probably never get around to going to a con and meeting Mike Mignola and getting an item signed. But grab a signed sketchbook now for $30? Yes please!

I never got the chance to meet the departed Will Eisner or Joe Kubert. But grab a signed graphic novel from each for less than $50? Yes!

The problem was knowing when to stop. I initially found about 40 approximately $20 on average items from favorite creators. I cut that in third, but hopefully don't go back for another order.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 08:32 PM   #905
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,835
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
My wallet hates you Paul.
Thirded!

Fortunately/unfortunately my sketchbooks, art HC's, etc. are probably my most disorganized collection, with barely any of them written down. For once that was a positive, as I didn't want to buy a dup. of anything, and so was able to limit myself to 4 items at just under $90 w/tax (I went by in person, so no shipping [or potential shipping damage]).
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 04:56 PM   #906
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 339
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

I thought I'd share this. The deal was featured in the first issue of Marvel Comics Digest. It's worth an additional $5.97 off the subscription price for the new Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man penciled by Adam Kubert. It ultimately ends up as $22.99 for 12 issues.

Go to this website: https://subscriptions.marvel.com/parker

Then use code PETER at checkout. The ad says the code is good until December 28, 2017.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 07:47 PM   #907
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,129
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Amazon: Get $5 off book purchases (sold by Amazon) over $15.
Use promo code PRIMEBOOKS17

Expires Wed. night. Works for TPB, graphic novels, etc.

Full terms
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 08:02 AM   #908
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,813
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Barnes & Noble has a B2G1 on Marvel books going on until 7/18 and there's currently a coupon (code: VACATION) for 10% off $35+ and 15% off $60+ that stacks with it that expires on 7/12
__________________
My and the family's DVDs/HD DVDs and BDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 07:29 PM   #909
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,835
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

I found a couple Trades on Amazon at 58% off apiece:

Suicide Squad (Ostrander) Volume 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401262619
Unwritten Volume 11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401253482/

Maybe there are more, but if so I've not yet found any.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 07:38 PM   #910
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,542
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

I just ordered that Suicide Squad volume from Instock Trades yesterday!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-17, 05:54 PM   #911
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 18,161
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
I found a couple Trades on Amazon at 58% off apiece:

Suicide Squad (Ostrander) Volume 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401262619
Unwritten Volume 11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401253482/

Maybe there are more, but if so I've not yet found any.
I should have mentioned something earlier. Several older DC trades were hitting up to 60% off on Amazon during Prime Day.

Here is one like Robin Reborn from the 1990s:

https://www.amazon.com/Robin-Vol-Reb.../dp/1401258573

Lots of older, less popular trades are cheaper than ever on Amazon.
__________________
Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (last update: July 13, 2017)

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 06:15 PM   #912
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 18,161
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Barnes & Noble has their annual Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale on DC trades running until the end of July. The Marvel phase just ended I believe. It's a good sale especially if you have a membership that adds 10% off.

Many Barnes & Nobles are also handing out a few cool comic book freebies at the moment.

They are usually found on one of those small tables the chain so loves. Items include a couple of free comic book samplers and posters. There is a Spider-Man preview comic, a DC Young Animal sampler comic, and a very thick guide to DC trades I recommend. The guide includes trade timelines for most of the major DC characters.

Technically you are supposed to buy a graphic novel for the free items but I've found they don't care what you buy when taking them.

The coolest freebie is a fairly big DC poster with Tony Daniel art. It has Wonder Woman facing off against the rest of the DC universe. There is a separate promotion for free manga items, including a slick Your Name poster.
__________________
Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (last update: July 13, 2017)

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 08:37 AM   #913
Senior Member
 
dishpan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: northern virginia usa
Posts: 313
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Barnes & Noble has their annual Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale on DC trades running until the end of July. The Marvel phase just ended I believe. It's a good sale especially if you have a membership that adds 10% off.

Many Barnes & Nobles are also handing out a few cool comic book freebies at the moment.

They are usually found on one of those small tables the chain so loves. Items include a couple of free comic book samplers and posters. There is a Spider-Man preview comic, a DC Young Animal sampler comic, and a very thick guide to DC trades I recommend. The guide includes trade timelines for most of the major DC characters.

Technically you are supposed to buy a graphic novel for the free items but I've found they don't care what you buy when taking them.

The coolest freebie is a fairly big DC poster with Tony Daniel art. It has Wonder Woman facing off against the rest of the DC universe. There is a separate promotion for free manga items, including a slick Your Name poster.

Thanks for the head's up, Tony Daniel is one of my favorite WW artists so I went to pick one up.

The Buy 2 Get 1 on DC stuff deal you mentioned is still going online, and you can combine it with free shipping, and there is an additional 15% off coupon that stacks for two more days (SAVEMORE) as long as you spend enough money.

In order to reach the threshold I had to get 12 books since they were so cheap, but that made the 4 lowest priced ones free since they let you do the deal as many times as you want even in one order! So long as you are not pre-ordering anything.

I really recommend doing this and the Marvel week every year, great way to get a ton of content for such a small cost even compared to Amazon Prime. If you are a big spender you could even get three $100 Omnibus editions for less than $200 to your door for example. That's like a year's worth of reading =).
__________________
my shelfporn
http://imgur.com/a/UJ6SY
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 09:39 AM   #914
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,394
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

^ One can get good deals at B&N, but don't forget that you can always get every $100 Omnibus for $50-60 at DCBS or IST.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 08:20 PM   #915
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 18,161
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
Thanks for the head's up, Tony Daniel is one of my favorite WW artists so I went to pick one up.

The Buy 2 Get 1 on DC stuff deal you mentioned is still going online, and you can combine it with free shipping, and there is an additional 15% off coupon that stacks for two more days (SAVEMORE) as long as you spend enough money.

In order to reach the threshold I had to get 12 books since they were so cheap, but that made the 4 lowest priced ones free since they let you do the deal as many times as you want even in one order! So long as you are not pre-ordering anything.

I really recommend doing this and the Marvel week every year, great way to get a ton of content for such a small cost even compared to Amazon Prime. If you are a big spender you could even get three $100 Omnibus editions for less than $200 to your door for example. That's like a year's worth of reading =).
I combine the DC sale with my 10% membership discount from Barnes & Noble in stores.

There is an online code right now for 15% off a $75 purchase that should stack with the online sale. It's SAVEMORE.
__________________
Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (last update: July 13, 2017)

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 08:43 AM   #916
Senior Member
 
dishpan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: northern virginia usa
Posts: 313
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
There is an online code right now for 15% off a $75 purchase that should stack with the online sale. It's SAVEMORE.
Isn't that what I was saying =)
__________________
my shelfporn
http://imgur.com/a/UJ6SY
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 03:15 PM   #917
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,394
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Not sure what thread(s) this is best in, but wanted to make sure that fans saw it. New Humble Bundle digital book bundle is on a bunch of those x and Philosophy books, including many comic-related ones like Watchmen, Spider-man, and Iron Man. Others include Game of Thrones, Family Guy, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Walking Dead. It seems to be decently regarded series, and you can't beat the price. 6 books for $1, or 12 for $8, or all 19 for $15.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/f...ilosophy-books
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 10:39 PM   #918
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 18,161
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

The Legion of Super-Heroes Silver Age omnibus is 50% off at instocktrades. Most of these newer, smaller omnibuses don't ever seem to get below this pricing.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/L...L-01/MAR170429
__________________
Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (last update: July 13, 2017)

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 07:24 AM   #919
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,394
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

And the first Monsters omnibus is down to $35!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 10:18 PM   #920
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 18,161
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Here's a real good deal if you are into Deadpool. An Amazon Marketplace seller is selling practically new copies of the Deadpool by Posehn & Duggan omnibus for $33.29 shipped. Simply buy the "like new" copies from seller bookoutlet1. They have several copies left.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1302902288

I can confirm this deal because I ordered from them about a week ago and got my copy in today. Sealed and basically new as they listed, with the only blemish a small marker dot on the bottom marking it as a cut-out.
__________________
Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (last update: July 13, 2017)

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 06:50 AM   #921
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,813
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

bookoutlet1 always has remainders in new condition. Their listings are on abebooks and alibris and you can usually find coupons to stack with bookoutlet1's prices.
__________________
My and the family's DVDs/HD DVDs and BDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 01:35 PM   #922
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Anyone have any information as to why Amazon has stopped discounting prerelease graphic novels to the extent they have in the past? Earlier in the year I got some great deals of 50% off and more. More recently, when first posted, Amazon has offered only a small discount before jacking the price up to full retail until release. Now my local comic shop's regular discount is better than Amazon pricing. What's up with that?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 02:05 PM   #923
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 18,161
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Eming View Post
Anyone have any information as to why Amazon has stopped discounting prerelease graphic novels to the extent they have in the past? Earlier in the year I got some great deals of 50% off and more. More recently, when first posted, Amazon has offered only a small discount before jacking the price up to full retail until release. Now my local comic shop's regular discount is better than Amazon pricing. What's up with that?
Amazon rotates their customer focus by segments fairly regularly. I guess they were tired of selling pre-orders at cost or even at a small loss. Some of those prices were clear mistakes when they put up the wrong suggested retail price.
__________________
Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (last update: July 13, 2017)

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 02:20 PM   #924
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 18,161
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Instocktrades has the Archer & Armstrong Classic Omnibus at 55% off. This was easily my favorite Valiant series from the 1990s and is some of Barry Windsor-Smith's best work.

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Val...S-HC/AUG151796
__________________
Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (last update: July 13, 2017)

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0