Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 02:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Originally Posted by fujishig
The DC Comics: A Visual History is slipcased and shrinkwrapped, though I haven't opened mine yet.

I don't see how people can really collect those books, though, don't they update it pretty much every year? That's a lot of coffee table books to have.
Well that's the thing - they don't update it every year, even though time obviously passes meaning there are new happenings to add each year. There are the original editions and now they've rolled out second updated editions. I'm sure in a handful of years they'll update them a third time.

I do agree that makes them difficult as collectibles though.
Old 02-04-16, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received my Hamiltom Books orders in good conditions.
Rough Justice Alex Ross (not hard bound, not sealed, though still looks new). $7.95
Legends of the Dark Knight vol 2 by Jim Aparo (sealed). $14.95
DC One Million Omnibus by Grant Morisson (sealed). $29.95

Thanks for the tips.

I have a very slim collection of comic books (less than 20, mostly Omnibus), but sites like these enable me to pick them up on average at 35% (or 65% off list price), so that's appreciated.

Last edited by DVDGamer; 02-04-16 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm lame. I placed another Hamilton order. Unfortunately the second GL omnibus is now gone, but I got the first one.

I also got a classic comic strip, some of those Bond comic strips, and a few other things that randomly caught my eye. I was tempted to upgrade my reading copy of Camelot 3000 but resisted. Afterlife with Archie is also a good read and a good deal but I already have it.

STAR WARS--AGENT OF THE EMPIRE, VOLUME TWO: $4.95
THE BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH CONAN ARCHIVES, VOLUME 2 - $9.95
THE COMPLETE GOLDEN AGE AIRBOY & VALKYRIE - $6.95
THE JAMES BOND OMNIBUS, VOLUME 005 - $5.95
THE GREEN LANTERN OMNIBUS, VOLUME ONE - $19.95
LOIS LANE: A Celebration of 75 Years - $14.95
SHOWCASE PRESENTS THE LOSERS, VOLUME 1 - $5.95
ARCHIE MEETS GLEE - $4.95
STAR WARS--AGENT OF THE EMPIRE, VOLUME ONE: Iron Eclipse - $4.95
Old 02-08-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

The Howard The Duck Omnibus is currently around the $30 range + shipping brand new!

You can find several of these around this price at both amazon (re-sellers) and ebay. I already have them all digitally but couldn't resist for this price.
Old 02-08-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not a great bargain, but goes along with the Omnibus conversation. Amazon has been selling the SHIELD omnibus directly for $50-something, but then I saw IST got copies of the Steranko cover back in, limited to one per customer. I'd been regretting not getting that on street week, so I went ahead and got it. I also picked up Avengers Omnibus 2 for $58, which was about the same price as the lowest Amazon seller plus postage. By the way, it's kind of a joke that the standard S&H that Amazon sellers can charge is $3.99. I assume they just make it up in the pricing of the item.
Old 02-08-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
By the way, it's kind of a joke that the standard S&H that Amazon sellers can charge is $3.99. I assume they just make it up in the pricing of the item.
Same thing on half.com. Price of doing business.
Old 02-08-16, 04:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Amazon Marketplace prices for these clearance Omnibuses now seem to be better than eBay for the most part in a reversal from when retailers first got them in. Of course, this happens right after I buy the one Omnibus I really wanted off eBay. I could have saved a few bucks on Amazon Marketplace.

Last edited by kodave; 02-08-16 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just bit on the Howard the Duck and Muppets omniboo, plus the last two Brubaker Captain Americas I needed and Fantastic Four #3, mostly from Amazon marketplace but one Brubaker from Amazon itself. It's backordered, though, so we'll see if it comes through.

Stop me before I buy any more Omniboo!
Old 02-09-16, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

With HtD, I usually go with the omnibus, but the complete collections are going to have more content (at the least, it's going to have the HtD magazine, which hasn't been reprinted before). And of course, the second volume of the complete collection has the first issue of the magazine, so it's not like there will be just one volume with the magazine.
Old 02-10-16, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm lame. I placed another Hamilton order. Unfortunately the second GL omnibus is now gone, but I got the first one.

I also got a classic comic strip, some of those Bond comic strips, and a few other things that randomly caught my eye. I was tempted to upgrade my reading copy of Camelot 3000 but resisted. Afterlife with Archie is also a good read and a good deal but I already have it.

STAR WARS--AGENT OF THE EMPIRE, VOLUME TWO: $4.95
THE BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH CONAN ARCHIVES, VOLUME 2 - $9.95
THE COMPLETE GOLDEN AGE AIRBOY & VALKYRIE - $6.95
THE JAMES BOND OMNIBUS, VOLUME 005 - $5.95
THE GREEN LANTERN OMNIBUS, VOLUME ONE - $19.95
LOIS LANE: A Celebration of 75 Years - $14.95
SHOWCASE PRESENTS THE LOSERS, VOLUME 1 - $5.95
ARCHIE MEETS GLEE - $4.95
STAR WARS--AGENT OF THE EMPIRE, VOLUME ONE: Iron Eclipse - $4.95
Just got this order--only six days! The Bond (which was square and smaller than the individual album versions I have) has a small dot of red ink on the bottom of the pages and showed some wear on the cover. Airboy has a tackiness to the cover that feels intentional. One of the Star Wars volumes has a noticeable bend on the bottom corner of the back cover. There are no other dings or remainder markings, and all UPCs are intact. Conan, GL, and Lois Lane all came in shrink.
Old 02-12-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Amazon itself has the lowest price on the second Marvel Star Wars omnibus, $46. The first and third are still expensive.
Old 02-17-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not a great bargain, but goes along with the Omnibus conversation. Amazon has been selling the SHIELD omnibus directly for $50-something, but then I saw IST got copies of the Steranko cover back in, limited to one per customer. I'd been regretting not getting that on street week, so I went ahead and got it. I also picked up Avengers Omnibus 2 for $58, which was about the same price as the lowest Amazon seller plus postage. By the way, it's kind of a joke that the standard S&H that Amazon sellers can charge is $3.99. I assume they just make it up in the pricing of the item.
I just bit on the Howard the Duck and Muppets omniboo, plus the last two Brubaker Captain Americas I needed and Fantastic Four #3, mostly from Amazon marketplace but one Brubaker from Amazon itself. It's backordered, though, so we'll see if it comes through.

Update on my four orders from 2/8:

Two of them arrived yesterday, 2/16. The books from Doubleheader Amazon marketplace were each packed in Amazon-style yellow bubble mailers, but that's OK because they were inside a heavy cardboard box, shrinkwrapped and with no remainder marks. The two books from IST were of course new and packed like a bomb shelter.

My other order, from indoobestsellers Amazon marketplace, has shipped but not arrived yet and doesn't provide tracking info. Boo.

My last book, from Amazon direct, is still backordered.

Amazon itself has the lowest price on the second Marvel Star Wars omnibus, $46. The first and third are still expensive.
This drops a little bit every day. Now down to $38.31.
Old 02-17-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

My order from dheader on Amazon was packaged in the typical Amazon cardboard wrap thing. The one with the quick zipstrip to open it. Omnibus inside was simply shrinkwrapped.
Old 02-17-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jjcool
My order from dheader on Amazon was packaged in the typical Amazon cardboard wrap thing. The one with the quick zipstrip to open it. Omnibus inside was simply shrinkwrapped.
Maybe it's good to order two at a time, then. Was it in OK shape at least?
Old 02-17-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my Hamilton order.

DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle was shrinkwrapped.

So were 2 of the DC books, Roots of the Swamp Thing & Annotated Sandman Volume Two.

The DC Universe by Alan Moore HC was not. However, even I have to admit that it was about as nice as it could be. If I had just taken it out of a shrinkwrap, then I doubt I could get a better one. No remainder marks or anything else.

So that all went very well, and again I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Meanwhile, I ordered Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Volume 2 from Amazon mp seller Amazing Comics (the store is like 15 miles away from me) and that has been sitting in the same place for 48 hours. Hopefully it's a minor delay.
Old 02-18-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it's good to order two at a time, then. Was it in OK shape at least?
You are probably right on ordering two. Problem was there was only one thing that I really wanted. I am sure, as I get deeper into the hobby, that I am going to want some of the other books that went out of print and I will be kicking myself that I didnt get them when I could. But we will cross that bridge as they say.
The one omnibus I ordered arrived in fine shape. Small tear in the shrink wrap on a corner, and that corner was slightly bent over, but not enough to worry me. I did order some dust jacket covers for some of these, to try and keep them as nice as I can, while reading them.
Old 02-18-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
So that all went very well, and again I appreciate everyone's feedback!

You are probably right on ordering two. Problem was there was only one thing that I really wanted. I am sure, as I get deeper into the hobby, that I am going to want some of the other books that went out of print and I will be kicking myself that I didnt get them when I could. But we will cross that bridge as they say.
The one omnibus I ordered arrived in fine shape. Small tear in the shrink wrap on a corner, and that corner was slightly bent over, but not enough to worry me. I did order some dust jacket covers for some of these, to try and keep them as nice as I can, while reading them.
Yeah, it's not always easy to add another item, especially at Omnibus prices. Glad it was in good shape at least. But yeah, I'm feeling the same thing about these books and getting the ones I can when they're available and still fairly reasonably priced.

This drops a little bit every day. Now down to $38.31.
The price seemed to go down by 40 cents every few hours, but it'd started to rise again, past $38 so I just went ahead and got it. I hope I won't be too anal and feel forced to get 1 and 3 if they're expensive.

Nobody stopped me.
Old 02-18-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like this but I already have the 7 book set that Dark Horse put out several years ago of the Marvel collection.
Old 02-19-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it's not always easy to add another item, especially at Omnibus prices. Glad it was in good shape at least. But yeah, I'm feeling the same thing about these books and getting the ones I can when they're available and still fairly reasonably priced.
Problem for me is that I have a long list of stuff I want to get already. Plus I am a little OCD when it comes to series. I want to see/read the first episodes before the others. Which is the problem I have with teh Marvel Star Wars omnibuses.

The price seemed to go down by 40 cents every few hours, but it'd started to rise again, past $38 so I just went ahead and got it. I hope I won't be too anal and feel forced to get 1 and 3 if they're expensive.
They are on my list, but I am just anal enough that I need to get volume 1 first.
Old 02-19-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

They are on my list, but I am just anal enough that I need to get volume 1 first.
Yeah, I totally understand. I figured I'd jump on the deal for #2 now, and maybe the others would drop randomly sometime later.
Old 02-19-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I totally understand. I figured I'd jump on the deal for #2 now, and maybe the others would drop randomly sometime later.
I'll do you a favor and not buy #2 now with the expectation that 1 and 3 will drop in the future. The way my luck goes, that would guarantee that 1 and 3 will be had for a super low price within the next two months. Of course if I did buy #2 now, prices for 1 and 3 would sky rocket.
Old 02-19-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll do you a favor and not buy #2 now with the expectation that 1 and 3 will drop in the future. The way my luck goes, that would guarantee that 1 and 3 will be had for a super low price within the next two months. Of course if I did buy #2 now, prices for 1 and 3 would sky rocket.
Deal!
Old 02-19-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What will happen to you is that you will skip buying #2 at the low price, #1 and #3 will decrease in price and #2 will skyrocket. Then you will be stuck with the beginning and end but no middle.
Old 02-19-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
What will happen to you is that you will skip buying #2 at the low price, #1 and #3 will decrease in price and #2 will skyrocket. Then you will be stuck with the beginning and end but no middle.
Sounds about right.
Old 02-19-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

We're in this together, jjcool! They can't screw over both of us at the same time, can they? CAN THEY?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.