Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Subscriptions to a bunch of Marvel books are 40% off:

http://subscriptions.marvel.com/stor...eid=71487bfb4b
Old 09-09-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It looks like Top Shelf's big annual sale, where almost everything is $3-$5, starts tomorrow. But Bleeding has found all the titles.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/...ow-right-here/
Old 09-10-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Just ordered the Spiderverse thing as well. The list price is $34.99 so if there is a problem, it's probably tied to that.

A number of Amazon misprices a couple years back is how I acquired the majority of my Omniboo/Absolutes.
Amazon changed the list price to $75.00 now...the preorder is still $22.26 though
Old 09-10-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It looks like Top Shelf's big annual sale, where almost everything is $3-$5, starts tomorrow. But Bleeding has found all the titles.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/...ow-right-here/
Got the LOEG Century HC signed edition. Always wanted an Alan Moore autograph.

$25 for Century, $3 for Voice of Fire, $3 for Mirror of Love, $3 for Unearthing, $7.50 for Roses of Berlin and Heart of Ice, $8 for Alec Years Have Pants HC, $1 for From Hell Companion.

I'll be getting a big box of Alan Moore goodies in the mail in the near future.

$1 for the From Hell Companion? Looks like they couldn't give those things away.
Old 09-10-14, 07:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I had about 9 items in my cart, but the $10 minimum shipping is almost doubling my total so I think I'll just skip it.
Old 09-11-14, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The From Hell Companion is pretty interesting, actually.
Old 09-11-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I got this in the mail by Amazon Prime today. It was a mint, sealed new copy with a tiny marker spot signifying it as overstock. Copies are still available.
I got my copy of the Marvel Now Omnibus. The shrink was split so the dust jacket along the spine shows some wear, but nothing to complain about.

Originally Posted by Trevor
But $.42 more expensive!
Can't slip that stuff past Trevor!

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
Amazon changed the list price to $75.00 now...the preorder is still $22.26 though
70% off! I guess I'll keep my pre-order for now.
Old 09-12-14, 02:33 AM

I had about 9 items in my cart, but the $10 minimum shipping is almost doubling my total so I think I'll just skip it.
I think I passed on the past two years of Top Shelf sales because of shipping costs. You have to really order a ton to spread out those costs, especially if you're only looking at cheap books.

But I might pull the trigger this year since I'm eyeing the From Hell hardcover.
Old 09-12-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I forgot to mention that the Marvel Now is a smaller omnibus, like New Gods size but thicker. This is more convenient for me to read, so that's fine. I also spotted a more significant flaw: about a dozen pages lightly folded into themselves at the top. Still not a big deal, though. I straightened them out, and it'll probably be unnoticeable by the time I get around to reading this thing.

It looks intriguing, though. The issues do indeed span a wide variety of titles, but I think I wouldn't have actively bought any of these series by themselves so this will be a fresh experience.
Old 09-15-14, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
Now at 37.48, 50% off.
Old 10-03-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

IST has the Moon Knight Epic Collection at 50% off ($19.99). I'm considering it as I'm not that familiar with the character other than his appearances in other titles.

I like how the Epic Collection has expanded from self-contained '80s-ish runs to early runs of classic series. Kind of a middle ground between Essentials and Masterworks.
Old 10-03-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is IST? link?
Old 10-03-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
What is IST? link?
in Stock Trades,

http://www.instocktrades.com/
Old 10-03-14, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
IST has the Moon Knight Epic Collection at 50% off ($19.99). I'm considering it as I'm not that familiar with the character other than his appearances in other titles.

I like how the Epic Collection has expanded from self-contained '80s-ish runs to early runs of classic series. Kind of a middle ground between Essentials and Masterworks.
My understanding is this first Epic Collection is literally the first MK appearances where he wasn't written consistently. Apparently it gets good (or at least better) once MK goes into his first solo volume. The start of that will be the second volume of the Epic Collection... but Epic Collections are generally published out of order by design, so who knows when that volume will come out.
Old 10-03-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Marvel's biggest wasted character was Moon Knight. I was always hoping a great writer would get the character and run wild with it. You could do everything with Moon Knight that a writer wouldn't be allowed to do with Batman.
Old 10-03-14, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think Marvel's biggest wasted character was Moon Knight. I was always hoping a great writer would get the character and run wild with it. You could do everything with Moon Knight that a writer wouldn't be allowed to do with Batman.
I was surprised the Bendis run didn't amount to anything more, but Bendis didn't deliver the kind of MK everyone expected him to.

Apparently the new volume that started with an arc by Ellis is supposed to be really good. But like all Ellis runs, it didn't last long. Brian Wood is writing MK now but is only a couple of issues in. The most recent issue got positive reviews. MK could still be something yet.
Old 10-07-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kodave
Apparently the new volume that started with an arc by Ellis is supposed to be really good. But like all Ellis runs, it didn't last long. Brian Wood is writing MK now but is only a couple of issues in. The most recent issue got positive reviews. MK could still be something yet.
InstockTrades also has the first Ellis volume for 50% off (8.99).
Old 10-12-14, 07:59 PM

Dollar Tree had a new little rack of graphic novels; mainly licensed stuff like Speed Racer.

I picked up The Official Movie Prelude to Legion: Prophets and the Igor Movie Adaptation for Horror Challenge reading.
Old 10-14-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

TFAW has just started their Progressive Sale...50% off a ton of merchandise on the site. There are actually some decent TPB/HC deals, and even with tax and shipping costs, many of the books are still cheaper than the same title found on their sister site Instocktrades (especially independent titles that are not discounted more than 20-30% on IST).
Old 10-14-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Dollar Tree had a new little rack of graphic novels; mainly licensed stuff like Speed Racer.

I picked up The Official Movie Prelude to Legion: Prophets and the Igor Movie Adaptation for Horror Challenge reading.

Where abouts in the store? With the books?
Old 10-14-14, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Where abouts in the store? With the books?
You can never tell with Dollar Trees. I've seen comic stuff with the books, or the toys, or the trading card display near the front, or in the cashier lines. Same with BDs and PC games, they could be almost anywhere.

In this specific case, one store had them with the books and one store in a checkout line.
Old 10-14-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Hit 2 on the way home from work today. No graphic novels. Only bagged comics (a bunch with Batman/Spawn).

Did find The Best of the Best of the Electric Company tho. So that's something.
Old 10-15-14, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
TFAW has just started their Progressive Sale...50% off a ton of merchandise on the site. There are actually some decent TPB/HC deals, and even with tax and shipping costs, many of the books are still cheaper than the same title found on their sister site Instocktrades (especially independent titles that are not discounted more than 20-30% on IST).
By "sister site" I'm assuming you mean they're owned by the same company. To nitpick, they're not. DCBS and IST are sister sites, and they bought the online portion of Tales of Wonder recently. I believe TFAW is the online store with a handful of physical stores.

Not that it changes your point about TFAW's pricing.

I've shopped TFAW's "progressive sale" for Black Friday and got some decent deals even though their servers got hammered. Never shopped any October progressive sales. I'll probably check this out once it gets to 70% off. If I'm recalling correctly, TFAW's shipping prices aren't friendly, plus I have to pay tax on my orders.
Old 10-15-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Five Below, a discount chain with the gimmick that everything in the store is below $5, seems to have gotten in some four and five packs of comics for $4. Most of the comics are the usual bubble era refuse, but I did notice newer stuff mixed in from the X-Men and other Marvel comics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.