Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

This Week's Comics (1/31-1/6)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Week's Comics (1/31-1/6)

HUGE week for me....

JLA #62 - Hopefully this will be better than last issue's awful debut by Joe Kelly. If this storyline isn't good, I'll be dropping this title.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again #2 - I still think the idea of a sequal to "The Dark Knight Returns" is pretty pointless. I came in pretty skeptical and issue #1 didn't due much to ease my mind.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #12 - Okay, I've had quite a few negative things to say about this title in the past, but I couldn't resist this issue. Doctor Strange, written by Bendis and drawn by Ted McKeever, one of my favorite artists.

Felon #3 - Let's hope they build upon the promising developments of the last issue.

The Ultimates #1 - Sometimes I think that writer Mark Millar is pretty talented. Sometimes I think he's a hack. Artist Bryan Hitch. however, is always great and the main reason I'm hoping that this will be a good title.

Spider-Man's Tangled Web #10 - Not a series that I'll pick up every month, but this one looked interesting.

Tom Strong's Terrific Tales #2 - I'm not sure if I'll stick with this title very long, as I'm not too crazy about anthology series. Everyone should do themselves a favor, though, and check out Arthur Adams beautiful art for the Jonni Future story. Some of the best work he's ever done, in my opinion.

Hellblazer #170 - The start of a new storyline that sounds quite promising. That's the good news. The bad news? Brian Azzarello will be leaving this title soon.

Bone #46 - Phoney Bone's greedier, Smiley Bone's goofier, and I'm happier than ever with this title.

100 Bullets #32 - The second issue of what may be the most noirish of any storyline so far. That's say quite a lot for a book that has helped to create a big resurgance in comicbook noir.

Powers #17 - I gotta hand it to Bendis. He's usually pretty good about keeping all of his 257 monthly titles on time, but when one issue gets delayed, the next issue is usually out earlier than I expected. Didn't the last issue just come out like 2 weeks ago?

Harlequin Valentine - The big surprise of the week for me. I had heard a little bit about this collaboration between Neil Gaiman and John Bolton, but I didn't think it was coming out until much later this year. The second biggest surprise of the week for me was the price. $10.95 for a hardcover comic is reasonable, even when the comic is only 40 pages. Sure they could have put out a paperback version at half the price, but they also could have asked much more for this hardcover. Gaiman fans are pretty fanatical and many would have payed more for this.

Question Of The Week

I can't believe that we never got around to discussing this one here.

Pretty simple question really, and us comicbook nerds (usually) know best when it comes to this sort of thing.

Best and worst comicbook movies?
And what comics would you most like to see made into movies?
And what comics do you love, but don't really want to see as a movie?

I'll give my opinions later. Right now I need to brush the remaining snow off of me and then go sit by the heater for a few hours.

jim

Last edited by Gamblor187; 01-31-02 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-31-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huuge week for me as well & a great week for comic wise, a lot of stuff I've been looking forward to. would have been an even larger week if I didn't just drop JLA & Felon. Only read the first book so far. Anyway, I picked up. . .

B.P.R.D: Hollow Earth #1 - It may sound fanboyish but I am a huge Mignola fan & a big Hellboy fan. I've been looking forward to this for a while & it did not dissapoint. Any comic that will have Lobster Johnson as a main character is boung to be goof. I'm not that familiar with Ryan Sook's work, but he clearly brushed up on his Mignola imitation to draw this book. Its still looks nice though. A great read.

Superman/Tarzan: Sons Of The Jungle #2 - About F'n time this came out. The first issue was one of my single favorite comic books all of last year. A great elseworlds tale that probably not many people know about.

Legion #4 - I challenge anybody to pick up the first 3 issues of this series & not be hooked. This may be the all aroung greatest team superhero comic I have ever read. Every sinlge issues has a mind blowing ending. Can't wait to read this.

Captain America: Dead Man Running #1 - The first step in making Cap more of a dark, modern, less corny character begins with this book. I've really been looking forward to this issue.

Ruse #4 - I don't like crossgen but this comic & Sojourn are just beautiful comics. And Waid's story ain't that bad either.

Powers #17 - I am convinced Bendis is a robot, or a has clones, or has robot clones. I haven't even read #16 yet which just came out 2 weeks ago, he writes 172 different monthlies, & now he is writing the Spiderman cartoon for MTV. Yet this book still is amazing.

100 Bullets #32 - This may be my favorite monthly comic yet I think I am going to drop it after this story line. Dispite the agonizing wait, I really enjoy reading it more in a trade paper back format.

Universe #5 - I know nothing about the Top Cow Universe, in fact, I don't even like it. Yet I'm really enjoying this series by Jenkins.

Captain Marvel #28 - Woo Hoo!! Marvel every 2 weeks!

Tom Stong's Terrific Tales #2 - Gamblor is right. I buy this comic for only 1 reason. The amazing Aart Adams.

Out There #8 - I don't really know why I keep getting this book.

The Ultimates #1 - I know nothing about the Avengers but I like Hitch's stuff so I figured I'd give this a try. I have always felt that Millar is extremely overrated though.

Trades(As if I will ever get aroung to reading them)

Murder Me Dead TPb - I have all the issues, but the laminated cover & vintage paper to give this comic that extra pulp feel just sucked me in. Great trade presentation for a very deserving story.

The Metabarons: Blood & Steel - FINALLY. The second trade the one if not THE most creative & innovative comic to ever be published.

That's right, despite everything I picked up no Dark Knight Returns. What could I say I think it is overrated, a story that does not need a sequal, & Miller's art is ugly & the colors even uglier.

I'll be back later for the answer of the week as well. My hands hurt right now from all this typing.
Old 01-31-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17

B.P.R.D: Hollow Earth #1 - It may sound fanboyish but I am a huge Mignola fan & a big Hellboy fan. I've been looking forward to this for a while & it did not dissapoint. Any comic that will have Lobster Johnson as a main character is boung to be goof. I'm not that familiar with Ryan Sook's work, but he clearly brushed up on his Mignola imitation to draw this book. Its still looks nice though. A great read.
You mean Mignola didn't do the art??? I looked through it at the shop just to check out Mignola's art. I would have had no idea that someone else drew it if you didn't tell me.

Captain America: Dead Man Running #1 - The first step in making Cap more of a dark, modern, less corny character begins with this book. I've really been looking forward to this issue.
Does this story has art by John Cassady? I know that he's going to be doing the art for a Cap revamp, but I'm not sure if this is it. If so, I'll have to run back up to the comic shop tomorrow.

jim
Old 01-31-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: This Week's Comics (1/31-1/6)

Originally posted by Gamblor187
Best and worst comicbook movies?
Off the top of my head...

Best movie? Still has to be "Superman the Movie"/"Superman II" (I count them as one movie). Although "X-Men" comes really close to knocking Supes out, in terms of capturing the spirit of the comics best.

Worst? So many to choose from. Having seen the misbegotten Cannon "Fantastic Four" movie by Roger Corman on a terrible VHS bootleg, though, I have to say, it's right up there. Worst "big" movie is without a doubt "Batman & Robin."

Actually, my dream comic movie is "Spider-Man," and after a cool trailer and a great cast, I'm crossing my fingers about May 3.... And hopefully the Goblin's goofy costume doesn't ruin it for me.

What I don't want to see as a movie? Probably would have to say that any attempt at a "Preacher" or "Sandman" movie would inevitably dilute the epic original comics when trying to cram 'em into a 2-hour movie....
Old 01-31-02, 10:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Seems like I'm not the only one who took a hurting in the wallet . Took a glance at what's coming next week, and I think I might be able to breathe a sigh of relief

What I dragged home today:

The Ultimates #1: Millar. Hitch. World War II. The Cap in this comic makes me hope they revamp him well in the "regular" Marvel Universe.

Ruse #4: Like Sessa17, the only Crossgen titles I pick up is Ruse and Sojourn. I was a fan of Butch Guice during his run on "Birds of Prey" and it was a no-brainer to pick this title up. Also, the setting (Vicotrian) is different than anything out there at the moment. However, I hope the focus on Emma's powers doesn't overshadow Simon's character.

Dark Knight 2 #2: Waiting for the third issue to come out and plan to read all three in one sitting. Spent 1-1/2 hours waiting to get DK2 #1 signed when Miller was in NYC when it first came out, so I'm a little biased about this title

Marvel Mangaverse - Eternal Twilight: Got it to bookend the rest of the series. I liked New Dawn and hope this is something in that area.

100 Bullets #32: A usual buy. Need to catch up! Still on...um, issue #1... *sigh*

X-treme X-Men: Savage Land #3: Please don't ask. I have 1,2,4 and just realized I was missing #3...

Legion #4: Never read the Legion before (in any incarnation). However, my old boss was a BIG fan and would talk about them ALOT. He pretty much told me the whole Legion Lost storyline (with all relevant background) and it piqued my interest. I found #1 very accessible for a Legion newbie like me and am hoping for a Legion Lost trade.

JLA #62: Still picking this up out of habit.

Futaba-kun Change v.7#6: I've pretty much stopped buying a lot of manga titles, and decided to get them in trades. This is another "out of habit" title that I am deciding whether to stop or not. Basically, this title is a somewhat less wacky and more raunchy version of "Ranma 1/2"

Blade of the Immortal #64: Well, I'm already up so high in the single issue count that I didn't bother stopping and just waiting for the trades to come out. One of those titles that reads better when you have a bunch of them in your hands.

Out There #8, Ninja Boy #6, The Tenth #4: No idea why I'm still picking these up.

Tom Strong's Terrific Tales #2: Agree with everyone else - Arthur Adam's art is awesome. Also, I'm a sucky for Alan Moore's ABC line.

Fathom #13: Michael Turner is back! And I have no idea why I still bought this one.

Felon #3: Rucka = must buy. Seems like this will turn into an interesting heist tale.

Powers #17: Like 100 Bullets, I REALLY need to start reading #1 and up...

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #12: I like how each issue or arc in this title has a different art and story style. I believe Bendis even said somewhere that he matches his story to the style of the artist. There's been some hits and misses, but I like the variety.

Spider-Man - Tangled Web #10: Looks very interesting...very "Max Payne"-ish.

Punisher #8: Um...waiting for Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon to come back. Please hurry...

The Trades:

Lone Wolf & Cub vol. 17: a classic, and I can't resist the small size of the darn things!

Silent Mobius v.7: one of my "trade-only" manga titles. I liked the original OVAs and was enjoying the single issue manga before deciding to just go the trade route. A mix of futuristic police and the occult.

Transmetropolitan - Gouge Away: More Ellis fun with Spider. Sad to hear the title will be ending in another year or so, but it'll take another 2-3 years before all of trades will be out.

Public Zero - A Channel Zero design book: I liked Brian Wood's
Channel Zero" and "Couscous Express" (which I picked up when he did a signing here in NYC recently). It's a mix of sketches and art (and some words), and probably won't be of any use to those who haven't picked up the Channel Zero trade first.

Will need to go back and pick up "Captain America: Dead Man Running". I forgot this was the lead-in to the revamp.

Gamblor: When you get through it, can you tell me how Harlequin Valentine is? It fell off my radar, but if it's any good I'll pick it up on my next visit to the comic store.

As for the question of the week (off the top of my head):

Best Comic Movies
- X-Men: I think I was just hoping it wouldn't come out too cheesy. However, that "What happens to a toad when it gets hit by lightning?" line is still very cringe inducing...
- Batman and Batman Returns: I thought Tim Burton represented Batman very well. I scoffed when they had first named Michael Keaton as Batman, but I knew I was wrong during the first movie.
- Mystery Men: the characters were adapted from...the Flaming Carrot comic, I think? Anyway, I like the quirkiness of this movie.
- (fingers cross) Spider-Man coming out this year.

Worst Comic Movies
- Punisher (with Dolph Lungren)
- Judge Dredd: ugh. a double ugh at Stallone.
- Superman 3 & up: I have no idea what they were thinking. I couldn't even stand watching #4.
- Batman Forever and Batman & Robin: B&R is the only movie I saw in a theater that I fell asleep in.

No Idea
- Spawn: I can't say the movie was good, but I can't say that it was horrible either. It was...Spawn.
- Blade: same thing. It was decent, but neither great or horrible. I will see Blade 2 when it comes out though: nice action scenes

- Batman The Dark Knight Returns: Batman beats up Superman. Who doesn't want to see that live action?
- Transmetroplitan: After recently watching Brazil again, I can't help but think a Terry Gilliam adaption would rock.

- Watchmen: I don't think a on screen adaption would ever do this title any justice

Need a nap now from all of that typing...

Last edited by greydt; 01-31-02 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-31-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ordered quite a few comics online again this week, though I did pick up:

Cowboy Bebop #1 - anyone who enjoys the anime should *definitely* track down this issue. Great story/art and presented in right to left format, just like in Japan (which takes a bit of getting used to). Also, a 3-4 page explanation of the series and its influences.

Felon #3 - Very good. Can't wait to see where it goes from here...

Best comic book films:
Superman 1
X-Men
Batman

Worst comic book films:
Captain America
Superman 4
Batman & Robin
Old 01-31-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally posted by Liquid Death

Felon #3 - Very good. Can't wait to see where it goes from here...

Too bad about what happened to that book, though.

Rucka originally envisioned it as a 24-issue series.

At some point Top Cow decided it was going to be a four-issue series and solicited the second issue as such.

After some negotiation, it looks like it will be now be either six issues or eight issues, and will lose the color at some point and be a black and white. Maybe. I'd heard that Rucka was able to get Top Cow up to eight issues, but they wouldn't publish it in color. So Rucka and the artist were going to work the loss of color into the plot of the book. The last solicits I saw solicited the series as a six-issue series. So I don't really know what's up.

At any rate:

TOP COW
Old 02-01-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: This Week's Comics (1/31-1/6)

1. Best and worst comicbook movies?

2. And what comics would you most like to see made into movies?

3. And what comics do you love, but don't really want to see as a movie?[/B]
1. Best - Batman, Superman 1 and 2, X-Men, Blade

Worst - Punisher, Captain America, Mystery Men, Fantastic Four, Batman and Robin, Superman 3 and 4

2. Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year 1, a new Superman, The new X-Men movie (hopefully Dark Phoenix related) and definitely looking forward to all the lower (i.e. not Spider-Man) Marvel properties coming to film.

3. Basically any 2nd tier or lower DC character (Flash, Green Lantern, Robin, etc.). Marvel is toting that line with movies coming about Iron Fist and things like that.

I am very much looking forward to Spider-Man. I was very apprehensive until I saw the trailer. All my fears while Spider-Man was in limbo hell for over a decade suddenly washed away when I saw the preview. I think they are shooting for best comic book movie ever and it may just pull that out.

Spider-Man has become my #1 movie to watch, even over Episode 2 this year.
Old 02-01-02, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Too bad about what happened to that book, though.

Rucka originally envisioned it as a 24-issue series.

I only heard it would be 4 issues...whatever happens, I hope Rucka can keep it great

From the last thread (must've posted it too late):

I need recommendations for Flash - I just decided I'd start picking up this title, and to be honest, I don't get any DC on a monthly basis (for the exception of Kevin Smith's Green Arrow, but I stopped w/ issue #10). I picked up Iron Heights (loved it) and I ordered 181 and 182. Where does Geoff Johns run begin? Where should I definitely start?
Old 02-02-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Picked up a few good reads this week including 100 Bullets, The Ultimates, and Ultimate Marvel Team Up which had an interesting Dr. Strange/Spidey team up. The funny thing is I hardly buy any Marvel.

Top 10 Comic Book Movies

1. Superman
2. The Matrix
3. Blade
4. X-Men
5. Superman 2
6. Batman
7. Men in Black
8. Mystery Men
9. TMNT
10. Spawn (Because I needed a 10th!)

Top 10 Worst Comic Book Movies

1. Batman and Robin
2. Fantastic Four
3. Punisher
4. Batman Forever
5. Howard the Duck
6. TMNT 3
7. Superman 4
8. Judge Dredd
9. The Phantom
10. The Rocketeer
Old 02-02-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Liquid Death

I only heard it would be 4 issues...whatever happens, I hope Rucka can keep it great

There is a very good reason why the series was changes into a 4 issue mini. Good at least for me because one of my favorite & absolutely one of the best comics being published today is going monthly: Queen & Country. The book is a huge success & Oni wants Rucka to go monthly with it. This comic is Rucka's pride & joy, with him doind his Bendis imititaion writing 173 different monthlies & being a novelist, he wants more time to put into Q & C. I just hop the quality of Q & C doesn't suffer from going monthly.

Still haven't read my comics for this week. As for the question of the week, I honestly can't say what THE best comic book movie is because I haven't read all the comics that the movies are based on. I would say Batman but I'm not a big Batman fan so I don't really know how true to the history of Batman the movie was, so I would have to go with a tie between X-men & The Crow. Both movies just completely captured the spirit of both comics.

The one comic I DO NOT want to be seen made into a movie & even more so now with the disgraceful casting they have done is Daredevil. DD is my all-time favorite superhero & I honestly have never thought DD would translate well onto the big screen. this is just a matter of personal taste but when a comic becomes made into a movie I want to see bizarre creatures & villains & grand sets & new worlds created. DD takes place in New York & not some mythical re-creation of New York, but the part of DD's history that the movie will potrary is just normal, gritty NYC. He has no bizarre looking major characters. I just don't think it will make a good movie.

As for what I would really like to see. Not a movie, but if done write with great writing, a wonderful cast , & talented director. 3-5 or however many seasons it takes to make an HBO series based on 100 Bullets. I think this could be such a great idea. Just imagine how each episode like the title subtley(sp?) strings together & dropss hints of the larger picture. It would make such a great series.
Old 02-02-02, 06:12 PM

Week's TPBs

Promethea: Book 1

I recognize that most comic fans are rabid Alan Moore fans. The praise is usually undeserved but, when criticizing his work, you either recognize what you're up against and play nice, or you lose a hand. That said, the character of Promethea was an interesting idea. Would have played out nicely as a short story or minor character in Sandman. As the basis for an entire series, the idea seems a little weak. This hypothesis is only reinforced by the fact that Moore doesn't rely on Promethea to carry the series, but incorporates a pointless futuristic setting to keep you looking. Diverting, but I won't be picking up the second volume - even this one may not retain its shelf space.

Tom Strong: Book 1

I entirely disliked Top Ten and my reception of Promethea was lukewarm - it would be fair to say that I was not expecting much from Tom Strong. When I finally read it, I wasn't overwhelmed by the title but my worst fears were not justified. A light read featuring a retro-superhero, "harmless fun," may describe this title best. Another great subtitle, too.

Sin City

Miller is another "comic book god" that I've never been entirely reverential of. Nevertheless, I'm glad I gave Sin City a chance. I started off worrying whether Miller had created a protagonist that wouldn't fit the mood, but he slowly brings the character down from there.
Spoiler:
The other fear I harbored through much of the book was over the ending. In any noir tale, an inappropriate ending can ruin the story. Glad Miller didn't disappoint.
This qualifies as one of the best crime comics I've read and is my highest recommendation for the week.
Old 02-02-02, 11:55 PM

I actually enjoyed Tom Strong, but didn't like Prometha or Top 10. As for Sin City, I love it - I was only marginally disappointed with Yellow B@stard - I liked Dame to Kill For, Hell & Back, and Big Fat Kill.
Old 02-06-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few comments on the books I picked up....

JLA #62 - Consider thsi book dropped. Truly awful.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again #2 - I wasn't expecting much after the first issue, but I wasn't prepared for how bad this would be. The art is inconsistent, the endless cameos by other superheroes are staring to seem pointless, the dailogue is bad enough at times to be cringe-inducing, and little panels of news broadcasts and comments from ordinary citizens, used so well in "The Dark Knight Returns" are intrusive, breaking up what little flow there is to an already troubled narrative.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #12 - I'm not sure if I like this new version of Dr. Strange, but the story was decent, and I loved the art. I'll pick up the next issue.

Felon #3 - I still don't like the art. The layouts are especially troublesome. But this was probably the best issue so far. I'm just not sure how they'll rap it up next issue.

The Ultimates #1 - Not quite what I expected, but not bad. The art was terrific. My only real problem was that it ended to abruptly.

Spider-Man's Tangled Web #10 - The story was a bit predictable, but the art work, combining panels of painting and panels of pencils, was quite impressive.

Tom Strong's Terrific Tales #2 - More great art from Arthur Adams, but I don't care enough about the stories to keep getting this title. This will probably be my last issue.

Hellblazer #170 - I know that I've heaped a lot of praise of Azzarello for bringing this title back to its former greatness, but the last few issues have been pretty bad. This one just felt crude and pointless. If I wanted that, I'd read more Garth Ennis.

Bone #46 - I'd complain about the story in this issue only being 16 pages long....but when it's 16 such wonderful pages, I don't feel that I have the right.

100 Bullets #32 - Even better than last issue. Terrific noir dialogue!

Powers #17 - Another fine issue of what may very well be my favorite story arc of this title so far.

I still haven't had time to read "Harlequin Valentine", but I'll post my thought when I do.

Best Comicbook movies:

Superman - at least up until that awful fly around the world to turn back time ending.

Superman 2 - Actually an example of the best and worst of what a comicbook film can be. They lined up the perfect set of villains for this film and the great big fightscene in the streets of Metropolis is a lot of fun. On the other hand, the film also contains too much silly humor that feels out of place. Plus, just like the first Superman film, the ending is awful.

Ghost World - It doesn't quite get the ending right, in my opinion, but by adding a lot more scenes and new characters, it does work as a great companion piece to the book.

The Worst:

Batman & Robin - The less said about this one the better.

From Hell - The Alan Moore/Eddie Campbell masterpiece is robbed of its wit and intelligence and turned into an a slasher film with an uninvolving mystery at its core. All wrapped up in MTV- style direction with laughable action sequences and Heather Graham in the worst case of miscasting in recent years.

Comicbooks I'd most like to see made into movies:

Spiderman - I know that many people have hated the trailer, but I think it looks great. I still don't like the casting of Tobey Maguire (I think he'll be a fine Peter Parker, but not so good at Spider-Man) and the Green Goblin Power Rangers-esque armor, but my hopes are pretty high. It helps that it was directed by Sam Raimi, whose "Darkman" is, in my opinion, a perfect "comicbook film"....even though it wasn't really based on a comic book.

100 Bullets - I don't think that it would make a good movie, but I do agree that it could be done well if turned into a series for HBO or some other premium cable network.

Murder Me Dead - Only under two conditions. 1.) Get a talented director and screenwrite involved. 2.) It MUST be filmed in black and white.

Batman: Year One - There was a lot of talk about this at one time, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. It could be made into a good movie without needing a very big budget. I must admit, though, that Darren Aronofsky (rumored to direct the project) is the wrong choice, in my opinion.

Comics I love but don't want to see made into movies:

Watchmen - Kevin Smith said it best. He compared it to "Catcher In The Rye". You'd love to see someone make it into a movie, but it's probably a good idea that they don't since no one could really nail it.

Sandman - Rumored to be turned into a movie at one time, but, again, I've heard nothing about it lately. There is no way this could work. Gaiman created a huge mythology that would not translate well to film. Again, it could possibly work as a series for HBO, but even then I'm not sure. And I'd definitely rather see it animated than live action.

Last edited by Gamblor187; 02-06-02 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-17-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The Dark Knight Strikes Again #2 - I wasn't expecting much after the first issue, but I wasn't prepared for how bad this would be. The art is inconsistent, the endless cameos by other superheroes are staring to seem pointless, the dailogue is bad enough at times to be cringe-inducing, and little panels of news broadcasts and comments from ordinary citizens, used so well in "The Dark Knight Returns" are intrusive, breaking up what little flow there is to an already troubled narrative.
[/B]
Agreed. I somewhat liked #1, it had a good set-up and I didn't mind adding heroes such as the Atom and Flash in the mix, but this issue was just awful -- the art was the worst I've ever seen from Miller (and I love his Sin City work in recent years), the plot is all over the freakin' place and Batman's a supporting character in his own sequel. I've already preordered #3 and I might as well see how it ends but this is turning out to be a big, big disappointment for me after a fairly decent start.