Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

This Week's Comics (1/10 - 1/16)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Week's Comics (10/10 - 10/16)

I Feel Sick #2 - If it's anywhere near as good as the first issue, this will be the book of the week. Very funny stuff.

Transmetropolitan #52

Strangers In Paradise #46 - Terry Moore finally listens to my complaints and the books starts getting back and track. Then he ruins with another awful spin-off story that no one besides him enjoys.

Fury #5 - How long is this series anyway? I was planning on just dropping it, but figured that I may as well wait for the end of this story.

Felon #2 - I didn't care much for the first issue, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

The Amazing Spider-Man #37 - Really late Straczyniski title #1.

Rising Stars #17 - Really late Straczynski title #2. I really should just drop this book and wait for the TPBs, but they're really slow about releasing them.

jim
Old 01-10-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

are we living in the past or are the dates just an error?
Old 01-10-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kevin75
are we living in the past or are the dates just an error?
Dang! That's the second time I've screwed up the dates. Could a moderator please fix them for me?

jim
Old 01-10-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dropped both Fury and Alias (in the last thread, you mentioned you were the only one who didn't like Alias) with issue #3 - doesn't seem like I'm missing much I figured I could easily pick up something else and prob. enjoy it more - I tried out Killer Princessess (Oni Press) and it was a fairly enjoyable manga-esque comic about three college sororiety grrls who are expert assassins...definitely worth a look

I just finished the Dark Victory HC and it was absolutely terrific, though Long Halloween, I felt, was the better of the two. Still, a definite read for fans of Long Halloween.

I also tried out the first TPBs for Mystic and Meridian, and though I'm only half way through the latter, both are quite impressive and I look forward to picking up the 2nd TPBs that come out in Feb. I'm really enjoying Scion, Sojourn, Negation, and Ruse - Crossgen is definitely worth a look for those who like fantasy and want something different than the mainstream "superhero" books.

For this week, I picked up Felon, GI Joe, Amaz. Spider-Man, Rising Stars, Transmet, and Savage Dragon, though I haven't had a chance to read any of them...
Old 01-11-02, 04:11 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Gamblor187
Dang! That's the second time I've screwed up the dates. Could a moderator please fix them for me?

jim
Done!
Old 01-11-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm actually enjoying Alias, although I don't think it's the best thing out there or even the best Bendis out there, it's kept me interested. It's much more downbeat and methodical (or slow) in pacing than I would've thought at first, but this first arc has held my attention. I'll definitely give it through the second arc before I make a final decision, but it's solid "crime fiction" with good characterization. Nice art, too, although I have to agree with whoever I saw that said the covers are too 'arty' and abstract for their own good.
Old 01-11-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

An extremely small week for me, probably the fewest new books I got in at least a year. Normal I would have gotten about 11 books today but I have dropped over 12 monthlies in the past week, 7 of which are D.C titles. Anyway, I picked up. . .

Batgirl #24 - Flat out the most underrated comic being published. However another Mother F'n D.C. crossover that will probably interupt the books normal story line. This is why I have dropped 7 D.C. title in the past 3 weeks.

Suicide Squad #5 - Not an amazing comic book, but one I have enjoyed so far. Many people have complained, but I actually like Medina's art on this title, although I have always hated Keith Giffin, he even is not bothering me so far.

G.I. Joe #3 - For the nostalgic dork in me.

Trades:

U.S. Warmachine - What a sweet looking trade. I HIGHLY recommend this. $15.00 for 12 comics. Not bad. Altghough I admit the art is horrendous, this was my favorite mini-series of the year. Quite funny at times.

Foot Soldiers: Volume 1 - An old trade, but I have been trying to find it for years. It's old work by Avon Oeming he is one of my favorites & Jim Krueger, & supposively paved the way for many of today hot team books like Authority etc. With an Alex Ross cover I can't wait to read it.
Old 01-11-02, 05:55 PM

Re: This Week's Comics (10/10 - 10/16)

Transmetropolitan #52 i love this book- i'm gonna miss it when it's gone.--i want to be spider when i grow up....he he

Fury #5 i beleive it is 6 issues, and i am loving it. i want more garth ennis. more more more.

Felon #2 of corse my store forgot to order it, i'll have to hunt it down on sat. i like rucka's stuff, so i'm sure i'll like it.

The Amazing Spider-Man #37
Rising Stars #17

jms is god. he is late cause the guy is working on 2 tv shows...give the guy a break. his stuff is worth the wait. his spidey is the best it has been in years, and rising stars ranks as one of teh best comics ever. all comics should strive to be this good.

green lattern #new one i love what judd has done with this book. can't wait to see what he does with it.

glory #1 this issue was worth the wait. alan proves again why he is the best comic book writer in the field.
Old 01-15-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: This Week's Comics (10/10 - 10/16)

Originally posted by realsandman420

The Amazing Spider-Man #37
Rising Stars #17

jms is god. he is late cause the guy is working on 2 tv shows...give the guy a break. his stuff is worth the wait. his spidey is the best it has been in years, and rising stars ranks as one of teh best comics ever. all comics should strive to be this good.
[/B]
I'm not really complaining. Well...not too much. As long as the books are of such high quality, I can deal with the wait. It's just a bit frustrating, especially with "Rising Stars". I feel it's a book that works best in TPBs. There are three different "chapters" to the story and each chapter works best if read straight through without so long between installments.

Strangers In Paradise #46 - Just plain awful. Completely pointless and disrupts the regular monthly story, which is finally worth reading again.

Felon #2 - I almost didn't pick this up, but I'm glad I did. It wasn't a great issue, but it sets up would could be a great one. Still don't like the art, though.

Fury #5 - I'm past the point of no return. I don't like the book, but I may as well stick it out for the last issue or two...if only for Darrick Robertson's art.

Amazing Spider-Man #37 - I'm not sure how I feel about the developments in this issue, but I'm glad that Straczynski is willing to shake things up a bit.

I Feel Sick #2 - A bit of a disappointment after the hysterical fisrt issue, but still worthwhile.

Rising Stars #17 - A promising beginning to the final "chapter". I just wish that they would get a decent artist for this title. They've used several different artists, but they all look about the same....pretty run-of-the-mill stuff, especially disappointing in such a well-written book.

jim

Last edited by Gamblor187; 01-15-02 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-16-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although I just got back from picking up my books for this week (which I'll wait for Gamblor's new thread to list), thought I'd bige some thoughts on last weeks books, mostly just to recommend Foot Soldiers.

Suicide Squad #5 - I'm not saying this is an amazing book, but I am enjoying it very much. Last issue was a step backwards but this issue was a huge step forward, finally giving the book some much needed direction & Medina'a art is really starting to grow on me.

Batgirl #24 - The art was great as usual but the annoying Bat-crossover tie in once again took away from the issue.

Foot Soldiers: Volume One - Anyone who has not read this should really do so & especially this trade since it's loaded with extras. It's a very looked over series by Jim Krueger(Earth X) & Michael Avon Oeming(Powers, Judge Dread). It's very much a throwback to the heart & soul & motivation to old super-hero books. What I loved the most about the trade was the extra stuff, a great Forward by Jeph Loeb, & a long history by Krueger as to all his influence(from real life experience, to peers) in creating these characters. Oeming's style is also very different from his Powers work, & I feel much better. Highly recommended!