Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

This Week's Comics (12/20-12/26)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-01, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Week's Comics (10/20-10/26)

Green Arrow #10 - At long last, the conclusion to Kevin Smith's first Green Arrow story.

JSA #31 - Why did I have to glance through the book before I've had a chance to read it??? A very unexpected ending to this one.

Daredevil #28

Eightball #22 - I was just planning on picking up Daniel Clowes' work in TPBs, but I couldn't resist when I saw this on the shelf.

I also picked up the Astronauts In Trouble: Live From The Moon TPB because I've heard so many good things about it.

Last edited by Gamblor187; 12-22-01 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-21-01, 06:24 PM

Week's TPBs

Daredevil Visionaries: Volumes 2 & 3

I decided to give the whole Daredevil experience a try in one fell swoop. Skipped volume 1 because everyone indicated that it isn' t as good as the later volumes.

I found much of Miller's work in these volumes annoying. I couldn't be sure if I just didn't like the character, or if it was the way Miller handled Daredevil. I thought the mix of humor and drama was uncomfortable (e.g. Turk, the search for Stick, Stiltman). I also inherently dislike Daredevil's origin story, which Miller makes frequent reference to, though he handles it much more skillfully in these trades than in Daredevil: The Man Without Fear. The constant reintroduction of the character's life history and powers also grated for me; I recognize that this is typical in many titles, but it always struck me as a sign of weak writing.

A lot happens to the character of Dardevil in these volumes, so I would highly recommend them to any fan. For anyone else, try volume 2 before the others and judge for yourself. As for me, I didn't enjoy them enough to keep them in my collection.

Daredevil: Born Again

On the other hand, this single volume made up for my disappointment with the earlier stories. I went into this with pretty low expectations and almost didn't read it, but I'm glad I did. Highly recommended to fans and non-fans alike. Miller's writing is actually improved here but the true strength of this title is in the story itself. Not the sort of thing you can do every day, but I'm glad they were desperate enough, due to low sales (I assume), to give Miller the chance.

Last edited by Al Infinitum; 12-22-01 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-21-01, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Re: This Week's Comics (10/20-10/26)

Have I gone back in time?
Old 12-21-01, 11:28 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: This Week's Comics (10/20-10/26)

Originally posted by Todd B.

Have I gone back in time?
I should have caught that. Thanks. Edited title.
Old 12-22-01, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ultimate X-Men #13 - Prob. the first issue of the series that I really didn't care for at all. I like the "real" Gambit, and I was looking forward to his Ultimate introduction, but the story is a real clunker. Its a new writer too...<sigh>

Green Arrow #10 - Overall, I really liked Quiver, though I dunno if I'll stick around now that Smith is off the book. I might give it a few issues to see how it turns out, though.

Queen & Country #5 - Another solid issue and its the beginning of a new story arc. I read in Wizard that the first four issues will be collected soon in a TPB for those who missed it the first time around.

Incredible Hulk #35 - A 'Nuff Said issue...and it was actually pretty good. However, some of the artwork was a bit confusing, specifically:

Spoiler:
the whole whale thing on the beach - I had no idea it was a whale until I read the plot at the end

Oh, the Danger Girl HC came out this week - and my comic shop sold out of the new Scion and PP:Spider-Man issues in less than an hour so I'll have to find those elsewhere...<sigh>...
Old 12-23-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A little late but I've been busy for the holidays. Still haven't had a chance to read anything but a couple of the Marvel Silent issues. But here's what I picked up. . .

Captain America #50 - Never ever in my over 15 years of being a huge comic book fan have I read an issue of C.A. The character just always seemed so corny & outdated. There are very few creators who's work I wil pick up no matter what they do & John Cassaday is one of them. With him doing the Marvel Knights new C.A. ongoing, & Darko Macan who I've always been a fan of, doing CAps next mini-series I had to check this book out. And I am really glad I did. A good book for a new reader, the art was not that great, but It definitely got my looking forward to the new series.

Queen & Country#5 - I REALLY wish this was a monthly title. Haven't read it yet but the first 4 issues were some of the best to hit the stands last year.

Crux #9 - Dropping this title probably next issue, I've come to realize outside of LAnd's art on Sojourn & Ruse b/c it's unlike any comic on the market. Crossgen is not for me.

The Establishment #4 - Not an amazing series, but I've really enjoyed it so far. However, like the Monarchy, I'm sure this book will be inevitably cancelled int he near future.

Captain Marvel #26 - The first silent issue I've read were continuity played a huge part & a major series changing even took place.

Green Arrow #10

Birds Of Prey - I want to drop this title but I just can't seem to do it. I just love the character of Oracle to much. Plus I'm sure once Terry Moore takes over the book will be given a new life.

Daredevil #28 - I just loooove this book. Maleev is flat out becoming my favorite artist.

Uncanny X-men #401 - This book blows.

Ultimate X-men #13 - Haven't read it yet, but this series blows.

New X-men #120 - The art blows, but the writing is flat out great. Absolutely can't wait for Quitely to come back next issue.

Just one old trade this week. . .

The Metabarons: Path Of The Warrior - I have all the issues, I've always wanted the trade & my store finally got it in. This serie sis definitely not for everybody. As anyone even slightly familiar with the works of Jadorowsky would know. But it is definitely for me, this series is simply brilliant, stunningly beautiful, & leaps & bounds more creative then any mainstream comic will probably ever be.
Old 12-26-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Few comments on the books that I picked up....

Green Arrow #10 - Not a bad story arc, but definitely too long. I feel that it would have worked better with half as many issues.

JSA #31 - Why must Peter Snejberg always show up in my favorite books??? I despise his art, but I just can't seem to escape him. Other than the art, this was another fine issue and perfect point for new readers to jump on. (Bonus points for having a big guest star but not hyping it to sell a few more issues.)

Daredevil #28 - A month of silent titles from Marvel. What a terrible idea! Still, I can't complain about Maleev's artwork.

Eightball #22 - I give up! I can no longer wait for TPBs! A brilliant book!