Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

This Week's Comics (10/18-10/24)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Week's Comics (10/18-10/24)

I just picked up....

The Corinthian: Death In Venice #1 - I'm not too crazy about "Sandman" spin-offs, but a Corinthian miniseries does have potential.

Daredevil #26 - Brian Michael Bendis's 138th monthly title. I do like him, but I fear that he is spreading himself to thin.

JSA #29 - This is usually one of my favorite books, but this is part of the "Joker: Last Laugh" crossover so I don't have much hope for this issue. Plus, the art is by Peter Snejberg...not exactly one of my favorites.

I also picked up a hardcover edition of Batman Archives: Volume 1. DC is using a "special introductory price" of $19.95 to get people interested in these archive collections. The problem is not that people aren't interested. The problem is that a lot of us can't afford to pay the normal price of $50 for these hardcovers, and, so far, DC has refused to released them in less expensive paperback editions. If they were more affordable, I'd buy almost all of these collections.

Question of the Week:

Which comicbook character is most in need of a revamp....or which comicbook character would you like to see return?

Well, there have been some great revamps and returns recently so most of my wish list is covered. Spider-Man and the X-books have been revamped with great success. A lot of classic characters are back (in the same form or in a "next generation" way) in the pages of JSA, including the recent return of Hawkman. We got back Dr. Midnite, the original Green Arrow, and even Deadman (though, if the recent miniseries is any indication, I'm afraid his upcoming series won't be very good).

As far as characters that I'd like to see return, "Miracleman" is at the top of my list, followed closely by "Shade The Changing Man" (but only if it's written by Peter Milligan).
I'd also like to see "Swamp Thing" revamped yet again. This time with a return to a focus on the intelligent, gothic horror that made Alan Moore's run so memorable.

jim
Old 10-18-01, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only picked up Sojourn #4 yesterday - I'll get Daredevil #26 and Violent Messiahs #7 next time I go back.

My store was all out of the Batman Archives HC - I was looking around on the 'net with little success finding it. Is the price a fixed $20 or will it go up in the future? And how is it?

Today I caught up on some other books - Origin #2 (A great story thus far), Alias #2 (decent, a good twist, but why was it mature?), and Fury #2 (decent, but not great).
Old 10-18-01, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Liquid Death

My store was all out of the Batman Archives HC - I was looking around on the 'net with little success finding it. Is the price a fixed $20 or will it go up in the future? And how is it?
It is a temporary price. These hardcover Archive books usually sell for around $40-$50. The book is shrinkwrapped, and there is a sticker advertising the "special introductory price" of $19.95. (I'm not sure why it's labeled as an "introductory" price since the book has been out for quite some time. I guess they just want to introduce you to this line in the hopes that you'll enjoy it and want to drop down $50 for the other ones.) I peeled back the sticker and noticed that the book itself is still marked with the regular price of $39.95, so I'm sure this is just a very limited offer.

I have not yet taken the book out of the shrinkwrap, so I can't make any comments yet. (I'm in the middle of two other graphic novels at the moment, and I don't want to start this until I finish the others.) The book contains the first 24 adventures of Batman, taken from Detective Comics #27-50.

I believe that I got the last copy at my store, but I will look into it. If there are any left, I can pick them up for those who are interested.

jim
Old 10-18-01, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Gamblor187

I believe that I got the last copy at my store, but I will look into it. If there are any left, I can pick them up for those who are interested.

jim
Thanks for the offer - let me check around here first and I'll get back to you if I can't locate one.

Also, does anyone know if Incredible Hulk #181 (1st Full App. of Wolverine) is one of the 100 Greatest Marvels that is going to be reprinted? I just wanna read the story, and the Wizard Ace of it is a bit pricey at $13...esp. if its going to be reprinted in a $7 100 Greatest Marvel book in the next week or two.

Last edited by Liquid Death; 10-18-01 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-18-01, 11:05 PM
MrN

Gamblor, thanks for the tip about the Batman Archives. I called my store to have them hold one for me. I saw them when I went in yesterday but they didn't have the sticker so I didn't know about the intro price.

I've been reading the Spirit Archives and they're really well packaged, although I've never read Batman of that era, so I can't say much about them. But, its quite a deal, so I'll take a chance.

I'll post my reviews/purchases later in the weekend. But, I agree, Miracleman needs to be in print. Last rumor I heard, Marvel was gonna publish all the old stories and Gaiman would be finishing the uncompleted story. Thats just a rumor though.

And, Liquid, I don't think Marvel announced the rest of their top 25 yet - you're supposed to find out what they are as they come out. Top 6-25 will be in the big format and then the top 5 will be single issues. I'm guessing Hulk #181 will be a top 5 book. We'll see.
Old 10-19-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fairly light week for me & judgung from the first looks next week will be even less. Only read BoP so far though I'll post some reviews later, I got. . .

Birds Of Prey #36 - This once great title has become one of the ugliest books out there. Not only is the art horrible but this issue as well as the last several stopped the character intereaction b/w Oracle & dinah that made the book so interesting. After picking up all 36 issues & the one-shots I officially drop this title.

Batgirl #21 - I'm really pissed at D.C. right after OWAW ends they have another stupid crossover into every F'n book. And this one has the ugliest covers I have ever seen. However Damion Scott does the inside & he is the flat-out most underrated artist today.

Cable #98 - Hate the art, hate the writer, & hate the new direction. After collecting 98 issues of this book I think I'll finally drop it at 100. With dropping to title I need some new ones to read.

U.S. War Machine #6 - If anyone reads my little blurbs every week you know how much I rave about this title. Can't wait to read it.

Captain Marvel #24 - The all-around most consistant book being published.

Sojourn #4 - I only buy this title for Greg Land's pencils. The story is extremely cliched.

Daredevil #26 - X-men aside Daredevil is my all-time favorite character & I have been looking forward to this issue for along time but I have the same worry Gamblor does, however Bendis did not dissapoint with Alias.

Heroes - I can't believe nobody picked this up. Come on guys it's for a good cause & it is just amazing, some of the pieces are so emotional it's frightening.

Answer of the week. . .

By far the character I want to return the most with his only monthly is Silver Surfer. I have always loved this character & if done right I think the series could be a hit. Grant Morrison writing it & Bryan Hitch art would be awesome.

I'd also like to see Captain Marvel(Shazaam!) return. I mean he is one of D.C. most powerful big guns & like Silver Surfer just get's no respect with a creative team that could make the character truly interestin.

As far as revamping, no book needs it more that to revamp the revamp that is Uncanny X-men. This book is just utter crap.