Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

This Week's Comics (10/4-10/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Week's Comics (10/4-10/10

Lots of books for me this week....

X-Force #120 - I'm interested in hearing what others think of this book. People seem pretty divided. There have been many complaints from those who were fans of the book before Milligan and Allred took over, but it seems to be getting a generally positive reaction from those that don't usually buy the X books. As for myself, I like it. It's not a great book, but it does have a lot of potential. If this creative team stays, this could develop into one of my favorite titles. (Love the cover on this one, too!)

Ministry Of Space #2 - Missed it last week.

Daredevil #25 The story arc that wouldn't die finally does.

Ultimate Spider-Man #14

Ultimate X-Men #10 - 10 issues in and this book still remains a guilty pleasure for me. The quality has not dropped off at all, yet.

The Amazing Spider-Man #35 - This is developing into one of my favorite Spider-Man stories of all time. I hope that Straczynski stay around and continues to shake things up.

100 Bullets #29

Alias #2 - The first issue was a bit of a disappointment to me, but I'll give it a few more issues to see where it goes.

Hellblazer #166 - Azzarello's run on this title seems to get better with each issue.

Question Of The Week:

A little bit of speculation here....

What writers or artists do you feel will be the "next big thing"? (Or at least deserve to be the next big thing.) This can include not just relatively unknowns who may soon hit the big time, but also somewhat established talents who you feel are taking their work to the next level.

My choices....

Peter Milligan - Despite the quality of his Vertigo work ("Shade The Changing Man", "Enigma", etc.), his books never really caught on and he was overshadowed by the bigger names producing titles for the line. Now with "X-Force", he seems to be slowly entering the mainstream without compromising. (Hopefully he will develop a big enough following that Shade will be able to return, at least in a miniseries.

Scott Kolins - The current artist for "The Flash" is producing wonderfully original, incredibly detailed work (check out pages 18-19 of the latest issue, #178, for an example). He's the most exciting new artist I've seen in years.

Alex Robinson - "Box Office Poison" developed into what "Strangers In Paradise" used to be...only better. An intelligent, funny, sometimes devastating slice-of-life book. The art work may have been too crude for some, but they missed out on one hell of a story. (Last year's best, in my opinion.) One of the great things about the book was watching Robinson develop as a writer. While he ocassionally made some mistakes in his storytelling, it all came together with a beautiful, heartbreaking ending. The story ended and is now available as a TPB. I highly recommend it. Just in time for Robinson's next "BOP" story, which I believe will contain all new characters.
Old 10-04-01, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm ordering my comics online this week to save a few bucks, so I'll weigh in next week.

I just read Ministry of Space #2...and it was ok. I was disappointed - I remember #1 being really cool, but when I went back to re-read it, I wasn't overly impressed. Oh well, I'll pick up #3 to finish out the series.

I also caught up on Ghost Rider (through 4) and I'm liking the series quite a bit. I have to admit not ever being a Ghost Rider fan (I liked him as a guest star tho).

I'm really liking X-Force. I wasn't up on the book before it was canceled (I did read the "last" issue of the old X-Force and I was underwhelmed), but I really enjoy the new direction.

As for the next big thing, I hope the writer of Generic Comic Book gets more exposure, as the book is quite funny...
Old 10-05-01, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Big week for me. I was lucky enough to go to Marvel's Retailers Rally on Monday which for a comic book fan was unbelievably cool. I got to have beers & joke around w/ Joe Quesada, Bill Jemas, John Cassaday(planetary). Todd McFarlane was their. Got some of my absolute favorite artists to draw in my sketch book, Both Kubert brothers, Jae Lee, Sean Chen did Iron Man, John Cassaday did Elijah Snow, Tom Derenick & my favorite Joe Q. & I asked him to do Ash. Also got some very cool stuff the new layouts for the new Marvel nights book coming out next May & got to see the heroes tribute book for the very first time anyone say it with Quesada. Also learned a LOT of cool feuture stuff that hasn't been announced, is anyone has any questions about any Marvel stuff I can probably answer it.

Any my books for the week were. . .

U.S. War Machine #4 - I am really liking this book a lot. Every issue just gets better & better & it is really cool having a great book to look forward to every week. People should really support this book by Marvel, $1.50 ships every week.

Doom Patrol #1 - Another book this week I really enjoyed. Good art by a newcomer & some very cool characters. The book has a lot of potential.

Star Wars: Tag & Bink Are Dead - BOOK OF THE WEEK!. I cannot recommend this book enough if you are a Star Wars fan. It's written by the guy that wrote & made "Troops" & follows the adventures of 2 previously unkown characters: rebel officers Tag Greenly & Bink Otauna. These are actual characters that are in the backround in the Star Wars movies & this book tell how they inadverdently(sp?) caused majoy events to happen such as the capture of the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars. Absolutely hilarious stuff, a must read.

Iceman #1 - AS a die hard X-men fan I keep trying these Icon books but they all esually suck.

Exiles #5 - Using Wolverine in yet another story arc is a bit annoying but it's cool seeing a new take on Alpha Flight. not a great book but enjoyable.

haven't read the rest yet...

Allias #2 - I loved the first issue.

Daredevil #25 - I know you don't like this story arc Gamblor but I think it's been interesting.

Uncanny X-men #398 - Man this book is a big pile of poop. Compared to New X-men it is just horrible & Ashley Wood's art does not fit in on an X book.

X-Force #120 - This is a great book although the deaths are getting a little redundant.

Ultimate X-men #10 - I really don't like this book that much but I get it b/c it's free. New X-men is a lot more creative & does more things different than this Ultimate title.

Origin #2 - Thought the first one was awesome.

Anwer of the week. . .

Well going from what I heard at the Marvel rally & that I like him as a writer but not an artist the next big thing out of MArvel will be:

Chuck Austin - I don't care for his art as every character has the same expression but his writing in War Machine is very well paced & well planned. Marvel has a lot of high profile projects lined up for him & w/ the current wave of T.V./Movie talent creating comics he will be the next big one.

Greg Rucka - He's already pretty book w/ a steady gig on a major bat title but the guy tells such a brilliant story (especially Queen & Country) & with his first own monthly coming out he will only get bigger.

there are others but I've done enough typing for now.
Old 10-05-01, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I have to say the most underrated artist these days are Damon Scott, (Batgirl) and Steve Sadowski of JSA. Not only do they produce quality work but they also produce them fast enough to be a regular artist on a monthly book.
Old 10-05-01, 03:53 PM
Cool New Member

So far I've read Origin #2, Amazing Spider-Man #35 and Spider-Girl #39. They were all good reads, but Origin and Amazing are must haves for any Wolverine or Spidey fans.

I've heard praise and complaints about Origin thus far, but I must say that I am pretty impressed. I've been a Wolverine fan for 15 years and had given up on anything original happening for the ol canuckle head. I've stopped reading the regular series, but Paul Jenkins' work on Origin has been great. Character driven stories are what Jenkins has always been about and so far he has not let me down with Origin.

JMS on Amazing has been worth the money too, (although anyone after Howard Mackie butchered the title would've been good). The Morlun arc kinda reminded me of the Roger Stern/Tom DeFalco days on Amazing. The door that JMS has opened for the future of the the Spider books is very interesting and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Spider-Girl was good clean fun as always.

I still need to get to Alias #2 and US War Machine #4.

As for up and comers, I think that Pat Oliffe from Untold Tales of Spidey and Spider-Girl is an underated artist and could easily do superhero and non-superhero books well.

-Marc
Co-Owner of www.m2comics.com
New Comics, Action Figures & More at 20% off + Free Bags & Boards!
Old 10-05-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
Todd McFarlane was their.

Did you hit him? Please tell me you hit him. Please tell me you hit him hard.

John Cassaday
Another artist that could be "the next big thing". His work on "Planetary" gets better with each issue. Cassady and Ellis are a perfect match

sinned....
Is Steve Sadowski still doing the art for "JSA"? I believe the penciler now is Rags Morales (whose artwork is pretty similar to Sadowski's). Perhaps Morales is just filling in for a bit.

Some good news....
Maybe the rest of you already know this, but I just found out. It's not surprising that there's going to be a new monthly "Hawkman" book. The surprise for me is the creative team....Geoff Johns and James Robinson! Robinson said that he was going to take some time off from comics after "Starman", but I'm glad that he changed his mind. Johns and Robinson worked very well together on "Starman". I have not heard any news about a possible artist for the series, yet.

jim
Old 10-05-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gamblor187

Another artist that could be "the next big thing". His work on "Planetary" gets better with each issue. Cassady and Ellis are a perfect match

jim
I absolutely agree & he is just the coolest guy. He actually came up to me & my friends while everyone was all running around doing business & trying to meet everyone my friends & I were just sitting around having beers & John sat down w/ us. He drew an awesome Elijah Snow sketch for me & I told Quesada if he has any sense to get Cassaday as the regular artist on Uncanny. HE would be the perfect compliment to Quitely over on New X-men & he could make Uncanny an "epic" book as it should be. He will be the ongoing penciler of the Captain America relaunch & although I never cared for CA Cassaday's work looks awesome.

And no I didn't hit McFarlane (although I would love to) but I did pee next to him. He seemed like a real jerk, just kind of showed up, made a very hypocritical speech & then left. Everybody else their were beyond friendly especially Joe Q. who has many comic fans will know does not have the best of reputations.
Old 10-05-01, 05:53 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love Cassady's work but I'm not sure if he can maintain that quality on a monthly book. I'm happy to get Planetary whenever it comes out, but if he did X-Men it could only be for a story arc planned well in advance...

Lets see - big week for me

Alias 2 - Not as good as the first one, but good progression. I'm glad the book is more 'private eye' than super-hero.

Amazing Spiderman - They setup the villain as this unbeatable guy for like 4 issues and then Spidey turns around and beats him in 1/2 an issue? Would have been more satisfying to end with the fight. That said, the cliffhanger was interesting. Lets see where they go with it - probably until the next writer comes along and reveals that Aunt May is a clone or something.

Comic Book 4 - The Man! LOL!

Eagle TP 3 - After the cliffhanger in TP 2, I was really waiting for this and finally got it. Look into it if you like Political fiction or 'normal' Manga.

Haven't read these yet: Codename: Knockout, Daredevil, Hellblazer, Legends of the Dark Knight, Universe X, Wonder Woman, Wildcats, Crusade

Re: the next big thing. To me, to be a 'big thing', at least as a writer, you have to come up with a 'big comic'. Moore/Watchmen, Ellis/Authority, Miller/Dark Knight. So in that vein, I think Mark Millar has so far come in after people but never truly created something. I hoping he will one day and be the next big thing.

Artist wise, unless you're an Ellis fan you probably haven't heard of Mike Wolfer or Chris Weston. I have a feeling one of these guys is going to get on a mainstream project and be a big thing.
Old 10-08-01, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few comments about this week's books....

X-Force #120 - I'll agree with Sessa17 that the deaths are becoming a bit redundant. It seems like at least one character dies every issue. At the same time, there's something I like about that....never being too sure who will make it through each story.

Ministry Of Space #2 - The art is good, but I just don't care for the story. I'll probably get the next issue just to finish up the series.

Daredevil #25 -Despite all the negative things I've said about this storyline, I was beginning to feel that it may have been good....if only it wasn't so long. All of my reservations returned with this ridiculous issue. Probably the worst thing I've read all year.

Ultimate X-Men #10 - Perhaps I spoke to soon in saying that there wasn't a bad issue yet.

The Amazing Spider-Man #35 - After a great build-up over the last few issues, this was a bit of a let down.

Alias #2 - I'm willing to give this series a few issues, but I haven't been too impressed so far. So far, this storyline just feels like something that Bendis didn't feel was good enough for "Powers".

Hellblazer #166 - I'm really liking Azzarello's very basic approach to this title. I do feel that Constantine belongs back in England, but he has a good grasp of the character...the man we love to hate to love.

jim