DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 09-07-17, 08:50 AM   #51
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Salems Lot: is still tops for me - that book is just masterfully written, the way he sets up the town in the beginning without boring you once...not an easy feat to pull off and you feel like you're in the town. Just love it - creep factor gets pretty high as well.

Gerald's game: Heard this one is going to be a movie soon - hope they do it justice...one hell of an intro.

Thinner: "The fun Bachman book" as I like to call it - the movie was horrendous.

IT: so confession, I read about half of this book as a kid...just never went back to it - not because of the length or because I thought it was bad or anything - quite the opposite - I just simply never went back to it.

Misery: Wish the movie took more elements from the book - think anyone who has read it knows what I'm talking about.

The Bad:

Dolores Claiborne: I just couldn't get into this one - here's a cool spoiler for those of you not in the know
Spoiler:
Gerald's Game has a moment where the protagonist has a vision of Dolores Claiborne and the Dolores Claibrone novel addresses this as well - pretty cool
Old 09-10-17, 05:35 PM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Salems Lot: is still tops for me - that book is just masterfully written, the way he sets up the town in the beginning without boring you once...not an easy feat to pull off and you feel like you're in the town. Just love it - creep factor gets pretty high as well.
I think the reason I love 'Salem's Lot so much is that it is so like Peyton Place, a classic "bad trash" novel. King borrowed a lot of elements of small town secrecy from that one. I read or listen to 'Salem's Lot every fall to get me in the mood for Halloween. I started listening today while I was working in my kitchen.
Old 09-12-17, 06:58 AM   #53
DVD Talk Special Edition

Over in the movie forum, I'm hosting a Stephen King movie game. Players can submit answers through Monday.
Old 09-18-17, 06:17 PM   #54
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I don't think Lisey's Story is the novel to judge King by. Even in the more generous reviews by King fans, it ranks low compared to his other novels.

If you like his older short story collections, I would think one of his classics from the 70s and 80s would be a better introduction to his novels. Something lean and mean like Pet Sematary or Salems Lot.
Thanks for the recommendations. I've already seen Pet Sematary so I don't kno if I want to read it in book form. Salem's Lot sounds interesting though so I'll try and check that out.