Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite Clive Barker book?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 07:06 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Seeing the Stephen King thread prompted my curiosity. I've read numerous Clive Barker books, being a lover of good horror (the more gruesome, the better), I would have to say my favorite CB book has to be Weaveworld. Perfect blend of fantasy and bizarre horror. If you've never read it, I strongly encourage you to.

At any rate, if you've read CB, which one's your favorite?
Old 03-11-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: What is your favorite Clive Barker book?

Well done ... Weaveworld is my favorite Barker novel as well I think the fact that I lend out my copy of Weaveworld to people I know who never read Barker speaks to that. Speaking of which, the last person I lent it to (about a year ago) moved and never returned it. Which makes it second lent Barker book stolen that way (Damnation Game was also stolen years ago) Shit like that puts me off lending people my media (which unfortunately is one of the reasons I thought I was holding onto so many books/DVDs/Blu Rays).

With advances in special effects technology, I'm surprised we have to see an adaptation of Weaveworld get off the ground (for either movie or tv). Various versions have been in "production hell" for over 20 years.

While Weaveworld is my favorite Barker novel, the short story collection Books of Blood is my favorite book (at least if you consider it to be a single book). The scope of imagination contained there is just mind-blowing. That's what turned me onto Barker in the first place.

Honorable mention Barker books are The Great And Secret Show and Imajica ... not coincidentally because they are similar to Weaveworld in that they're epic imaginative stories that combine fantasy and horror.
Old 03-11-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Imajica.
Old 03-11-17, 08:14 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I also own Imajica, The Great and Secret Show, it's follow-up: Everville (which I haven't read yet), The Damnation Game, and a book of short stories: In the Flesh.

I've read Weaveworld at least 10 times. That story completely blows my mind, I wish they'd make a miniseries or couple of good long movies out of that book. I don't think it would work as a TV series, some of the stuff that happens in Weaveworld you definitely wouldn't want your kids to see...

Last edited by kd5; 03-11-17 at 08:25 PM.