Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King -- "Finders Keepers" -- 6/2/2015 (Sequel to Mr. Mercedes)

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overview

Synopsis

Spoiler:
A masterful, intensely suspenseful novel about a reader whose obsession with a reclusive writer goes far too far—a book about the power of storytelling, starring the same trio of unlikely and winning heroes King introduced in Mr. Mercedes.

“Wake up, genius.” So begins King’s instantly riveting story about a vengeful reader. The genius is John Rothstein, an iconic author who created a famous character, Jimmy Gold, but who hasn’t published a book for decades. Morris Bellamy is livid, not just because Rothstein has stopped providing books, but because the nonconformist Jimmy Gold has sold out for a career in advertising. Morris kills Rothstein and empties his safe of cash, yes, but the real treasure is a trove of notebooks containing at least one more Gold novel.

Morris hides the money and the notebooks, and then he is locked away for another crime. Decades later, a boy named Pete Saubers finds the treasure, and now it is Pete and his family that Bill Hodges, Holly Gibney, and Jerome Robinson must rescue from the ever-more deranged and vengeful Morris when he’s released from prison after thirty-five years.

Not since Misery has King played with the notion of a reader whose obsession with a writer gets dangerous. Finders Keepers is spectacular, heart-pounding suspense, but it is also King writing about how literature shapes a life—for good, for bad, forever.

Here's the link from the discussion on the first part of the trilogy Mr Mercedes

Just finished this book, and while I enjoyed it, I found that it actually was less enjoyable when the characters from Mr Mercedes were introduced into the plot, about 1/3 of the way through the book.

Anyone else read it yet?
Old 06-11-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Stephen King -- "Finders Keepers" -- 6/2/2015 (Sequel to Mr. Mercedes)

Im about 80% of the way though the book. I should finish it by this weekend. Its been a pretty enjoyable ready. Its kind of neat to see the separate threads of the book being sewn together. Im interested to see how it ends.
Old 06-20-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Stephen King -- "Finders Keepers" -- 6/2/2015 (Sequel to Mr. Mercedes)

I enjoyed it but there were a few parts that were a bit too convenient:

Spoiler:
Morris and Pete shared a childhood home.

Pete his the notebooks in the same place Morris was hiding. I was rolling my eyes when Morris sat on the box of "kitchen supplies".