Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Which series did you prefer, The Hardy Boys or The Three Investigators?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: Which series did you prefer, The Hardy Boys or The Three Investigators?
I've read both series. I prefer The Hardy Boys.
13.64%
I've read both series. I prefer The Three Investigators.
36.36%
I've read both series. I like them both the same.
6.82%
I've only read The Hardy Boys.
29.55%
I've only read The Three Investigators.
9.09%
I haven't read either. But I like to vote in polls.
4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-06, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I know that The Hardy Boys was more popular. But among people who read both series, I think the vast majority (including myself) preferred The Three Investigators.

Does anyone know why The Three Investigators books are out of print?
Old 08-12-06, 05:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grundle
Does anyone know why The Three Investigators books are out of print?
Here it says:
In 1984 and 1985, Random House made what most fans consider to be the worst decision of the series when it published the Revised Edition of the original 30 Hitchcock books, in which all references to Alfred Hitchcock were removed and replaced with Hector Sebastian. This was perhaps the final blow of the original series and it soon faded away in 1987 after an impressive 23 year, 43 book run.

From 1989 - 1992, Random House attempted to revive The Three Investigators with the new, young adult targeted, Crimebusters series and an erratic reissue of the original 43 books. Both were discontinued after runs of eleven and twelve books, respectively. Jenny Fanelli retired from Random House soon after and any new work on The Three Investigators series was effectively terminated in North America. It has continued on successfully in Germany, however, where there are currently over 100 books in the series.

From 1998 - 2000, Random House began to slowly reissue the original 43 Three Investigators titles yet again, but it may come as no surprise that this effort has stalled and plans for continuation are unclear.
And here it says:
Random House revamped the series, calling it The 3 Investigators â?? Crimebusters Series. The investigators were seventeen years old, could drive, and were far more independent. The stories continued to contain an abundance of detecting but with the addition of more action. The series was well received but was halted in 1990 when legal issues between Random House and the heirs to the Arthur estate could not be resolved. By 2005, the disagreements were still not settled.
I read some of the Three Investigator books when I was 9/10 but never read any of the Hardy Boys books although, FWIW, I did catch a few of the Nancy Drew mysteries way back whenever the BBC got to show them.

Details of next year's big screen release: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476603/
Old 08-12-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Three Investigators were what I cut my teeth on. When I was about 4 or 5 my mom used to read them to me until I could read them myself. I always wondered why Hector Sebastian would show up occasionally instead of Alfred Hitchcock. I guess when you have a Rolls Royce, you make a lot of new friends.

I read some Hardy Boys, but I didn't really get into the Hardy Boys until I was about 10 and I discovered The Hardy Boys Casefiles, which were a little more mature and pulpy than the older stuff, and I think I read about 15 or 20 of those.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 08-12-06 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-12-06, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by benedict
Here it says:And here it says:I read some of the Three Investigator books when I was 9/10 but never read any of the Hardy Boys books although, FWIW, I did catch a few of the Nancy Drew mysteries way back whenever the BBC got to show them.

Details of next year's big screen release: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476603/
Thank you very much for all of that!
Old 08-12-06, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
The Three Investigators were what I cut my teeth on. When I was about 4 or 5 my mom used to read them to me until I could read them myself. I always wondered why Hector Sebastian would show up occasionally instead of Alfred Hitchcock. I guess when you have a Rolls Royce, you make a lot of new friends.

I read some Hardy Boys, but I didn't really get into it until Boys until I was about 10 and I discovered The Hardy Boys Casefiles, which were a little more mature and pulpy than the older stuff, and I think I read about 15 or 20 of those.
I'm glad you liked them!
Old 08-13-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators rock! Loved that series. I think I read most of them prior to 1984.
Old 08-13-06, 02:58 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I didn't really get into the Hardy Boys until I was about 10 and I discovered The Hardy Boys Casefiles, which were a little more mature and pulpy than the older stuff, and I think I read about 15 or 20 of those.
I grew up on those.
Old 08-13-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dear friend Dennis Lynds, who sadly passed away last year, wrote quite a few of The Three Investigators books. I wish they were still in print! I'd love to have them for my daughter to read one day.
Old 08-13-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
I read every Hardy Boys books that had been written between the ages of 9 and 11. There were 54 of them, and quality really declined in the later titles. There were only eight of the Three Investigator books.

I thought that the first 20 - 30 Hardy Boy books were better than the Three Investigators. Now I wonder if the Three Investigators books were better-written, because I still remember parts of them thirty years later, and the Hardy Boys are mostly a blur.

It's hidden in the eye in the sky where no man can find it.
To-to-to be or not to-to-to be.
Thirty days of 24 hours!
Old 08-13-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
It just occured to me: The early Hardy Books I read were the old editions from the library, not the revised editions with the blue covers. I've heard that the Nancy Drew books were badly hurt by their re-editing. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing had happened to the Hardys.

And another good line: "It would make a great movie!" "No sex appeal."
Old 08-13-06, 09:37 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Other: Encyclopedia Brown

Old 08-13-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
I've read the Three Investigators when I was young and enjoyed them. I only read a couple Hardy Boys.
Old 08-16-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had forgotten all about the Three Investigators. My local library only had 3 of them when I was a kid and tons of Hardy Boys. I much preferred the Three Investigators.
Old 08-16-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I definitely preferred the Three Investigators...

I wanted to have a clubhouse w/ secret entrances just like them...
The following users liked this post:
etching (12-16-23)
Old 08-16-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Other: Encyclopedia Brown

Ditto. First one I thought of. I read a few Hardy Boys as a kid but read each and every Encyclopedia Brown book I could lay my hands on.

I have never heard of The Three Investigators.
Old 08-16-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never heard of the Three Investigators, but I did manage to get my hands on original editions of some Hardy Boys (and several similar serial-type stories from the same era) when I was in grade school in the early sixties.

In addition to the school library, most classrooms in my grade school had book shelves loaded with books, many published in the first three or four decades of the 20th century. The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, the Edison Boys, Tom Swift (the original) and others. My personal favorites were Tom Swift stories. For years prior to reading them I had been reading the Tom Swift Junior stories, so I was all set up to read the older stuff when I found some.

Yeah, they were dated, but I didn't and still don't care. In the later sixties and early seventies I was reading Doc Savage, the Shadow and others. They are still good stories.

I wish I could get my hands on some of those grade school books now. I hate to think about what might have happened to them. What I wouldn't give for a time machine.
Old 08-17-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read all three actively (including Encyclopedia Brown) and by far preferred the Three Investigators. It was all about Alfred Hitchcock being in the books. I thought he was so cool and i didn't even know who he was as a kid.
Old 08-18-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never heard of the The Three Investigaotrs until I saw this thread (ducks to avoid thrown rotten eggs ).

That being said I voted for the Hardy Boys.
Old 08-19-06, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read everything I could get my hands on. I had (actually still have in storage) all the old Hardy Boys hardbacks, the paperback series through 100-something, and all the casefiles through 105.

Also have all the Three Investigators originals and a handful of their version of the "Casefiles". I actually enjoyed those, but they weren't widely available down here. They featured the Investigators about 5 years down the road from where they were in the originals.

Also read Encyclopedia Brown, Nancy Drew (only the "files"), the McGurk books, etc. That led to me being the rather voracious reader that I am today.

All that being said, I preferred the Hardy Boys.
Old 08-20-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved reading The Hardy Boy Casefiles as a kid. I used to have a pretty big collection of them and I always loved the artwork on the covers. Unfortunately my cousin 'borrowed' them all for a 'book report' one day and never returned them!

From looking up the novels on ebay. It appears around 100 or so,they started going with crappy photo covers. So I'd definitely be interested in acquiring all the books before the cover art change if possible,for nostalgia sake,lol.
Old 08-20-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I've never even heard of The Three Investigators.

I read The Hardy Boys religiously in elementary school, from about ages eight to ten.
Old 08-21-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I loved The Three Investigators! Most of the ones I got were as a kid and were the non-Alfred Hitchcock ones. I'd love a hardcover collection of them all.. I had no idea th turbulant printing history of the books. I actually went looking a couple of months ago to see if Borders had any, but it's apparent now why I couldn't find them! I've still got the handful I had from years ago, maybe ten to fifteen books (including one of those Find-Your-Fate type books, but featuring the Three Investigators).
Old 08-22-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Ditto. First one I thought of. I read a few Hardy Boys as a kid but read each and every Encyclopedia Brown book I could lay my hands on.
Yes, I too loved Encylopedia Brown. I read several of The 3 Investigators, but I had no idea it was such a big franchise.
Old 08-25-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Three Investigators, and Encyclopedia Brown. I also remember reading Donald J. Sobol's Secret Agents Four.
Old 08-26-06, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I've only read The Hardy Boys, which I liked a lot. However, I think I prefer the Tom Swift set more. The newer ones weren't quite as good, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.