Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

No audiobook fans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No audiobook fans?

I grab one now and then if I catch it on sale. I mostly stick with audible... todays Audible daily deal is The Amityville Horror for $2.95. Not bad for an audiobook.
The issue I once had with audible was the need for an audible capable device, but now nearly every phone and tablet has an audible app so that objection is gone.
It's easy to collect quite a library of classics for cheap. Simply "buy" the book on Amazon for $0.00 and add the whispersync audio (usually less than a buck for classics). Dracula is the free selection this month. Obviously there are also contemporary deals. Example:you can add audio to the kindle book The Fault in Our Stars for $3.99.
Anyone else do Audiobooks?
Old 10-29-14, 02:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: No audiobook fans?

I've just gotten into them the last few months; sounds like via the same methods you're using.

Dracula was a great production. I've been using the MobileRead forums to stay on top of ebook and audiobook deals.
Old 10-29-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I have an Audible subscription. I generally use it to listen to The Great Courses series. I've been loving courses on The Chamber Music of Mozart, How To Listen To Great Music, and The Decisive Battles of World History. I've also been listening to The Last Lion (a tome-like biography of Winston Churchill) and Mark Lewisson's epic "Tune In" biography of The Beatles.

I'm also in the middle of John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" series (starting book 4 soon) and some film-related books like "The Kid Stays In The Picture" and "Easy Riders and Raging Bulls", the latter of which is pretty damn amazing.
Old 10-29-14, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on Dracula, Easy! I actually almost spent money on the audible version. I think I'm up to 20 or more books "unread", so I've put my account on hiatus so I can try to catch up some.
Old 10-29-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my some audiobooks, and they're a format by which compression has been much more well served than music. Apparently though, some people look down at them, an avid reader told me they "don't count" . I should just bite the bullet and subscribe to Audible, but with the backlog of podcasts I have, I don't know how many audiobooks I'd get to.
Old 10-29-14, 09:06 PM

They have frequent membership deals. Using codes I've had 4 free credits at Audible in the last few months.
Old 10-30-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I should just bite the bullet and subscribe to Audible
FYI... you don't have to be a member to buy a daily deal or a whispersync deal. Grab bargains when they come up.
Old 10-30-14, 04:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I typically only do Audiobooks on road trips (trips to the in-laws a few times/year, etc.). Have had pretty good luck with the whispersync option on Amazon for prior books I've listened too.
Old 10-30-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just finishing up Gone Girl. I loved the fact they had two narrators, one male and one female depending on whether it is written in the husband's or wife's point of view. It takes me a while to get through them because I listen too them only in the car and I don't drive a lot. Next up is 11/22/63. Coming in at 30 hours it should last me a couple of months.
Old 10-31-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a huge audiobook fan. I'm tethered to my desk 10 hours a day so they're a good alternative if I don't want to listen to any music.

I use the OverDrive app and tie it to my local library account. I've never had to pay for one. If you've never heard of this I highly recommend it. It's great.
Old 10-31-14, 07:06 PM

Lots of freebies expiring today, here's the thread at MobileReads where I find most of my audiobook deals.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=245543&page=5
Old 10-31-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

I spend about 6 hours a week commuting, and while there's little traffic to deal with and the scenery is beautiful (if you're into corn and cows), just listening to XM or MP3s gets a little boring. So I usually invest about 4 hours of that into audiobooks or audio dramas. I find that I don't have much time these days for traditional reading - even ebooks take more time than I can carve out - but audiobooks and other similar things I can enjoy while driving has more than made up for it.

Most of the stuff I've been listening to for the past year has been from Big Finish (the Doctor Who audio folks), and it's all fantastic. I just listened to their dramatization of The Night Of The Triffids this past week, and when I finished that I jumped in to the Gallifrey series because I never made it to either Series 5 or 6, and Series 7 is due to be released in a month or so.

I also have access to the Navy's extensive digital library. They've invested a lot of money into movies, ebooks, audiobooks, music, etc, to give our Sailors something to do besides getting into trouble when they're at sea for months and months. They've extended access to their civilian workforce as a courtesy, and I've enjoyed tons of classic literature, SciFi, and contemporary stuff as well. It's been a while, but I've listened to the entire Lensman series (wow - space opera at its best!) and the complete unabridged version of Atlas Shrugged. I've downloaded several Torchwood audiobooks and will be giving them a listen here shortly.
Old 10-31-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I listen to audio books all the time. Mostly on CD, but occasionally through the OverDrive app. Never had to pay for one either, as the library is a great resource. The Game of Thrones books are so long, that I'd rather listen to them driving to and from work, than read them in my other time.
Old 11-01-14, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No audiobook fans? I think this thread has more posts than Book Talk has had all year! I've had an Audible platinum account for many years now, love it.
Old 11-02-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I really like my Audible account. The frequent sales they offer members makes it well worth it.
Old 11-02-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI, the FREE whispersync book for November is:
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde -- Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 11-03-14, 08:58 AM

Listening to an audiobook = reading a book, IMO. I'm not sure why there are some snobby purists about it. I haven't read traditionally in I don't know how long. I'm so over the music scene these days that I started listening to audiobooks in the car, then at work, now it's what I exclusively listen to during my workouts.

And right now I'm pretty busy and also involved in another hobby avidly, knitting, so I listen and knit as well. I can't see myself going back to actual reading very often.

I have an Audible account, but I need to renew my library card so I can get onto Overdrive.
Old 11-03-14, 09:18 AM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

We're trying to find ways to save money and though we love our Audible account, we're wondering if this is one of the places we can cut. Thing is, I can't find a clear answer on whether we 1. get to keep all of our books that are already downloaded, 2. if we can access them in the cloud still, or 3. if we could ever return and retain our account down the road.
Old 11-03-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
We're trying to find ways to save money and though we love our Audible account, we're wondering if this is one of the places we can cut. Thing is, I can't find a clear answer on whether we 1. get to keep all of our books that are already downloaded, 2. if we can access them in the cloud still, or 3. if we could ever return and retain our account down the road.
The answer is yes to all those questions.
Old 11-03-14, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The answer is yes to all those questions.
And with the number of promos audible throw out there, you can be a member about half of the year for free, and still access the sales when you're not a member.
Old 11-05-14, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Dumb question: when you have listened to an audio book, if you are discussing said book with someone, do you say you "read" the book?
Old 11-05-14, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Dumb question: when you have listened to an audio book, if you are discussing said book with someone, do you say you "read" the book?
Nope, that's a good question. Generally I will say I "read" a book, unless I'm chatting with another audiobook reader.

If it's someone who doesn't "listen" to audiobooks they don't understand that it's not abridged, or sometimes they do feel it's "cheating".
Old 11-05-14, 08:46 AM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Thanks for the info on Audible, Sean.

Spiderbite, I'm in a monthly book club and I almost exclusively read the books via audiobook and I say I "read" it with a quick caveat that I listened to it. They're aware I listen, and so it sometimes comes up in terms of speaking about performance / pronunciation, otherwise not really. With people who aren't in the club, I'll tell someone I listened to it this month or commuted with it, that sort of thing, or I'll just say read, interchangeably.
Old 11-08-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Yeah, I've been told it "doesn't count" too, but the information from the book is in my brain, so I just say I've read it v
Old 11-11-14, 10:51 AM

Three months of Audible for less than $6

http://www.travelzoo.com/entertainme...z_adid=1888949

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.