Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Kindle Voyage (10/21/14)

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: Will you be buying the Kindle Voyage?
Yes
27.27%
No
72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Kindle Voyage (10/21/14)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-14, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Kindle Voyage (10/21/14)

http://www.amazon.com/High-Resolutio...=kindle+voyage

$199 with special offers

$219 without

I still have my Kindle 3 keyboard but the higher resolution (300 PPI display) will get me to Upgrade!
Kindle Voyage is crafted for the love of reading
High-resolution 300 ppi display—reads even more like the printed page
Reimagined page turns—PagePress enables you to turn the page without lifting a finger
New adaptive front light—provides ideal brightness, day or night
Our thinnest Kindle ever
Battery lasts weeks, not hours
Try Kindle Unlimited for free—choose from over 700,000 titles and thousands of audiobooks for $9.99/month. Try it free for 30 days. Learn more
Old 09-28-14, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Kindle Voyage (10/21/14)

No. Nothing against it, but with a Paperwhite and a tablet with Kindle Reader app (and an EPUB reader app), I'm covered for now. If the Paperwhite breaks, maybe.
Old 09-28-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude
If the Paperwhite breaks, maybe.
Same. I also have a tablet. I jumped from touch to paperwhite because the light is a big deal to me. Nothing really compelling this time IMO.
I don't see that it is worth $80 more than the paperwhite either... I'd have to see it and play with it before I decided. But right now, with two functioning kindles... there is no need.
Old 09-28-14, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I definitely won't be buying it. $200 is freaking ridiculous for a dedicated e-ink reader. You can buy an actual tablet for $200.
Old 09-28-14, 03:10 PM

No. But, when I got the Paperwite, I was concerned about no longer having buttons to change pages and having to do so with the screen. I have adjusted to that and no longer see it as an issue.

If this thing had been offered before I realized that wasn't a problem, I probably would have paid more for that feature.
Old 09-28-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I hate touchscreen for turning pages which is why I've held onto my Keyboard for so long. So glad they have the buttons for Voyage.

I think in a few years the next innovation in E-Books will be eye tracking where it can detect when you've finished a page it'll turn automatically.
Old 09-28-14, 05:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
No, I definitely won't be buying it. $200 is freaking ridiculous for a dedicated e-ink reader. You can buy an actual tablet for $200.
I see your point and used to agree; but now that I've tried my wife's old kindle I must admit that reading is much easier on an e-ink display.

But I don't read enough to need a Voyage.
Old 09-28-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

No. I'm completely happy with 2011 Kindle keyboard!
Old 09-28-14, 07:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Nope. Still prefer to read actual books.
Old 09-28-14, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

$200 seems like a lot for what amounts to a marginal upgrade from the Paperwhite.
Old 09-28-14, 09:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Then why are you on the website and not waiting for the DVDTalk Quarterly Fanzine editions?
Old 09-29-14, 08:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Then why are you on the website and not waiting for the DVDTalk Quarterly Fanzine editions?
I always opted for the physical media with books. Similar can likely also be said of people that still prefer DVDs to streaming (assuming there are some out there).

The loss of cover art is one of the unfortunate downfalls of e-readers. I frequently read vintage crime fiction and those beautiful cover illustrations are simply lost w/technology.
Old 09-29-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But,... but, REAL books don't glow when you are reading them in a dark room.
Old 09-29-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always opted for the physical media with books. Similar can likely also be said of people that still prefer DVDs to streaming (assuming there are some out there).

The loss of cover art is one of the unfortunate downfalls of e-readers. I frequently read vintage crime fiction and those beautiful cover illustrations are simply lost w/technology.
The cover art looks decent on a tablet, but terrible in e-ink. The downside is tablets are unreadable in direct sunlight (hell, they aren't bright enough in the shade) while e-ink excels in sunlight.
Old 09-29-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

The better bargain is the Kobo Aura HD or the new Kobo Aura H2O (waterproof)... supports the standard .epub format, bigger screen, includes an sd-card slot, and it's cheaper.

You can't compare a tablet to an e-reader. E-readers are are lighter and easier to hold, easier on the eyes, no reflections so you can read with any degree of lighting and the battery lasts a lot longer.
Old 09-29-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

If my Paperwhite ever breaks, I'll consider it. It will have to come down quite a bit in price, though. None of the upgrades are particularly enticing to me at the moment.
Old 09-29-14, 01:57 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

My Kindle Touch broke in February and I've been waiting for a new Kindle model all year. Now that it's announced... $200?! Yikes.
Old 09-29-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer physical media because I control it, but I strongly prefer a large (500-1000 page) book on a kindle. I didn't think that would ever happen, but there it is.
Old 09-29-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I have a kindle keyboard for about 3 years, but it seems like the battery is slowly losing it's charge. I have to charge it every couple weeks instead of every few months. I was going to get the basic $69 kindle since I really like having the page buttons, but they have discontinued that version and replaced it with a touchscreen version. I'm not happy about that and I'm not putting $200 down for a voyage. Has anyone tried replacing their battery?
Old 09-29-14, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Coral
You can't compare a tablet to an e-reader. E-readers are are lighter and easier to hold, easier on the eyes, no reflections so you can read with any degree of lighting and the battery lasts a lot longer.
A 7" tablet is pretty light and easy to hold. There are smartphones now that are 5+" which are only slightly smaller than a 6" e-ink Kindle.

LCD is only hard on the eyes if you have the brightness turned all the way up. Turn the brightness down. Also, much of the stuff you hear about LCD being bad for your eyes if just wrong. Like the old wives tale about how sitting too close to the TV ruins your eyes. No, it doesn't. That is just a story told to kids.

The battery is a non-issue. A tablet or smartphone holds enough charge to last a day. Most people charge daily anyway.

Reflection is the only really bad point, but I don't read outside so it doesn't bother me. I like to read in bed before going to sleep.

Originally Posted by Easy
I prefer physical media because I control it, but I strongly prefer a large (500-1000 page) book on a kindle. I didn't think that would ever happen, but there it is.
I agree.

I don't like streaming movies or TV. I want to own the DVD/BD. I don't mind digital books though. Holding a 1,000 page book isn't pleasant for extended reading. I do however prefer printed comic books though. Tablets are not able to replicate double page spreads properly, and that is a huge huge issue with digital comics. A double page spread is something like 14"x10" and on a tablet it is shrunk down to about 7"x5" so it is really tiny and text is hard to read.
Old 09-29-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by story
My Kindle Touch broke in February and I've been waiting for a new Kindle model all year. Now that it's announced... $200?! Yikes.
I'm in the same boat. My Kindle Touch broke last month - it's stuck on a weird split of the sleep screen and an ad, and no amount of resets fixes it - and I've been waiting to see if they'd announce a new one before I replaced it. The Voyage is pretty pricey.

I think I'll just buy a Paperwhite. It'll still be an upgrade for me.
Old 09-29-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
A 7" tablet is pretty light and easy to hold.
Not as light as an e-reader though... which makes it a lot easier to hold, especially if you're an avid reader who will read hours at a time.

LCD is only hard on the eyes if you have the brightness turned all the way up. Turn the brightness down.
That might be the case for you, but for many the backlight makes it uncomfortable for reading - especially for longer periods of time. Turning down the brightness only does so much - and by doing that you've made it harder to see because of reflections.

The battery is a non-issue. A tablet or smartphone holds enough charge to last a day. Most people charge daily anyway.
It's still better not to have to worry about charging every day when you can just charge every 2 weeks or longer. Nice not having to take it out of my work bag every night to charge for the next day of use.

Reflection is the only really bad point, but I don't read outside so it doesn't bother me.
Don't know about you but on nice days the sun shines through the windows as well inside the house. Plus it's not just sun, but indoor lighting cause reflections as well. There's almost always enough light introduced to cause me seeing my own reflection - and I really hate seeing my ugly mug when I'm reading.
Old 09-29-14, 09:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Coral
Not as light as an e-reader though... which makes it a lot easier to hold, especially if you're an avid reader who will read hours at a time.
7" tablets are usually about 10-12 ounces. No offense, but that's kind of sad if you can't hold 12 ounces for hours. Work out more, bro! Most paperback books weigh at least 12 ounces, and they are easy to hold for hours. Behemoths like a hardcover 1000 page book is a different story, but the average paperback weighs more than a 7" tablet.

That might be the case for you, but for many the backlight makes it uncomfortable for reading - especially for longer periods of time. Turning down the brightness only does so much - and by doing that you've made it harder to see because of reflections.
I have turned the brightness down to near zero, and it is still readable. Plus, there are other tricks to use such as using the black background with white lettering or the sepia background.

It's still better not to have to worry about charging every day when you can just charge every 2 weeks or longer. Nice not having to take it out of my work bag every night to charge for the next day of use.
True, but that's purely a convenience factor. It's not a deal breaker having to charge daily. Something that would be a deal breaker is if the battery only lasted three or four hours, but tablets will last all day.

Don't know about you but on nice days the sun shines through the windows as well inside the house. Plus it's not just sun, but indoor lighting cause reflections as well. There's almost always enough light introduced to cause me seeing my own reflection - and I really hate seeing my ugly mug when I'm reading.
Don't read near windows. Turn off the lights. Problem solved. No more reflections. Honestly I love reading with the lights off (and watching movies too). It just makes it more immersive. Plus, it saves on the electric bill not having the lights on all the time.
Old 09-30-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I'm in the same boat. My Kindle Touch broke last month - it's stuck on a weird split of the sleep screen and an ad, and no amount of resets fixes it - and I've been waiting to see if they'd announce a new one before I replaced it. The Voyage is pretty pricey.

I think I'll just buy a Paperwhite. It'll still be an upgrade for me.
If you end up getting a new one and are planning to trash the old one, i'd pay for shipping if you'd be willing to mail it to me.
Old 10-16-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I have a Kindle I haven't used in months but I've started using the app on my Note II. Screen's so damn big it's practically like a small paperback.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.