Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Star Wars/Trek Books [The 2014 Rebooted Book Talk Thread!]

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Star Wars/Trek Books [The 2014 Rebooted Book Talk Thread!]

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I was somewhat tempted to pick this book up.

(Sorta like starting at "issue #1" of a "new" comic book series).

But I know very well that my ocd compulsive collecting/completionist mentality may possible go into overdrive. So I turned it down.

Though I might wait for this book and the next upcoming SW book on Moff Tarkin, to show up at the local library. Albeit with a long waiting list.
Old 09-11-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: What Are You Reading ?(September 2014)

Originally Posted by morriscroy
I was somewhat tempted to pick this book up.
It's rather "meh" so far...I'm only 50 pages in, and the reason I'm only 50 pages in is because it has yet to really grab my attention. It features the characters that are going to be in the new REBELS animated series.

BTW, the chance to kind of jump in to the novels at this "new start" is exactly the reason I got it.
Old 09-11-14, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
BTW, the chance to kind of jump in to the novels at this "new start" is exactly the reason I got it.
The last time I did something like this (ie. jump onto a new treadmill from a "new start"), it turned into a complete disaster. But fortunately, that disastrous treadmill ended after 4 years.

(That four year disastrous treadmill was the 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons rpg game from 2008 to 2012, where I was buying every new monthly supplement book released. Today, I don't play D&D anymore).
Old 09-11-14, 06:41 PM

Such past experiences is what makes me very hesitant to jump onto the new Star Wars novel treadmill, aggravated by my ocd compulsive collecting/completionist habit.

I strongly suspect the new Star Wars novel treadmill will also last a lot longer than 4 years.

(On a similar tangent).

If the Star Trek "Abramsverse" reboot ever had its own novel series back in 2009 or 2010, most likely I would have jumped onto it at the time. But fortunately, there were only four YA "Starfleet Academy" novels and the two movie novelizations written in the "Abramsverse" Star Trek. (There was also the IDW ST comic book series written in the "Abramsverse"). So there was no novel "treadmill" to jump onto.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Alternate_reality

Last edited by morriscroy; 09-11-14 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jory
Some Abramsverse novels were actually written but never published. Info here.
I remember reading about that awhile ago.

Today, I probably wouldn't jump onto a new "Abramsverse" novel treadmill.

A few years ago I picked up a lot of older Star Trek novels from various thrift shops and book fairs for around 25 or 50 cents a pop. (I have almost all of the novels released before 1999. The post-y2k novels seemed to harder to come across in the 50 cent bins). I've barely started reading them.
Old 09-14-14, 03:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Split thread explanation

I thought I'd split the emerging tangential franchise-novelisation-discussion from September's "What Are Your Reading" thread with a view to facilitating a discussion that might go boldly into October and beyond...

And for anyone wanted to take a trip back down memory lane...

There's a a purely Trek-related novelisation/share-cropping thread started in 2003, bumped in 2006 and then again in 2011 [like Scotty in the transporter beam] is perfectly frozen in time, here:And here are links to a couple of Star Wars book threads for anyone wanting to refresh their memory regarding past discussions or titles:
Old 09-14-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Star Wars/Trek Books [The 2014 Rebooted Book Talk Thread!]

The Trek books of the last few years have a lot of jumping on points, unless you're a DS9 fan (that's a complete mess). I'm no expert, but the original series books of late all seem to be one-and-done's. There was also a self-contained series called Vanguard set in that period that was popular with a lot of people. It had a beginning, middle and end, and then a quick spin-off called Seekers.

The Destiny trilogy encompassing characters from TNG, DS9 and Voyager has been very popular and is a pretty good jumping on point too. Voyager was a bit of a mess, but the current writer Kristin Beyer has sorted it out, though it took her a few books to do so completely.

I haven't read Enterprise, but that was relaunched in 2006, and there have been seven books so far there.