Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Kindle Unlimited (read unlimited books for $9.99 a month)

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Kindle Unlimited (read unlimited books for $9.99 a month)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kindle Unlimited (read unlimited books for $9.99 a month)

Originally Posted by davidh777
Well, you said there was no incentive at all for them to do it. I said the incentive is the same as it is for any of these subscription deals: Amazon pays them money for the titles in the program. However, I also acknowledged that the economics of the system would likely restrict the availability to catalog titles, not new releases. Not sure why you needed to argue with my point.

Nice. So Amazon knows that everyone grabs all the free downloads, iTunes episodes, etc. they can, whether or not they get around to actually reading or viewing it. So they monitor customers' individual devices and track what they're reading before the royalties kick in. Next up: automated reading scripts, or authors telling kids "Hey, I'll let you watch TV if you just take this machine and scroll through all the pages while you're watching!"
I didn't really think about that - it's nice to know that Amazon knows how much of a book we've read. The bottom of the Kindle app shows the percentage of how far along you are - I feel like knowing this I'm going to force myself to read in 10% increments to make sure the authors get thrown a little bone.
Old 07-21-14, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by arbogast777
I just read the below article which really threw cold water on this deal for me (and ebooks in general really) from an economic standpoint.

In summary, of the 600k titles on Kindle Unlimited, 500k are books from self published authors. And in order to be a self published author on Amazon, you must agree to have your book in this program and it must be exclusive to Amazon (you literally can't even sell it on your own website). And are you paid for each book you sell? Actually, no, you are paid by how much a reader reads of your book. Every 10% of your book read nets you more.

Stuff like this makes me want to go out of my way to buy the paper version from the store down the street. Amazon is turning the industry on its head, and to each his own but it's just not sitting well with me anymore.

And for the record, services like Oyster have deals from the major publishing houses (unlike Amazon) because they pay authors fairly.

http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-kind...d-for-authors/
Scribd also has a deal with major publishing houses and they pay fairly. I have done free trials of both Scribd and Oyster. Scribd's IOS apps are much better than Oyster's apps. Scribd's apps are a lot like the Kindle app.
Old 07-22-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I don't know the answer but let's take the worst-case scenario and say it's account specific. You can have 10 books checked out at a time. Do you and your wife really need more than 5 books out at a time? Then return and get another one.
Account would be the best case scenario. I would pay $10 a month to have unlimited books between my wife and I. I probably would not pay $20 a month.
Old 07-23-14, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Account would be the best case scenario. I would pay $10 a month to have unlimited books between my wife and I. I probably would not pay $20 a month.
Well I know I can send the book to either my Paperwhite2 or the Kindle Fire HDX. So it really all depends on where you have the Kindles registered. If they are under the same account, you decide who gets it. So the Username/password combination can have up to 10 out at a time and then you can send it to any Kindle registered in that account.
Old 07-23-14, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's not forget here the huge difference that KU works with Kindles and Scribd and Oyster only work with Fires I couldn't get used to reading on my fire.

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks...ef_=kbhp_nb_ku

You can use that link to go to Kindle Unlimited and then anything you put on that search box will only bring up KU books.
Old 07-24-14, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_90699...mplete+peanuts

They have all 12 volumes of The Complete Peanuts!!

Last edited by GatorDeb; 07-24-14 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-30-14, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I highly recommend anyone give Kindle Unlimited a try, I think people are boo-hooing it without merit

Got an email today with my library club's August pick and it's included in Kindle Unlimited. Its Kindle price is $9.25. Sure, I could go get it at the library, but this is much more convenient.

I've already made a list of hundreds of books I want to read through KU. If you search books for whatever you want and then filter by Kindle and by Prime eligible, you get just KU books.
Old 07-31-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I may give it a try at least for a month. My deal is that I'm a librarian, so I have access to the printed word, which (on the surface) makes the notion of Kindle Unlimited a tad redundant.

I also don't own a Kindle Fire, so the graphics, colors, etc., are lost on me. I'd have to read and view them on my desktop. I only have a paperwhite Kindle and the App on the iPhone.
Old 08-03-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck it, I'm in. I figure I read at minimum 3 titles and I've already got my money's worth. Hell, your first month is free, too.
Old 08-03-14, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Well, you said there was no incentive at all for them to do it. I said the incentive is the same as it is for any of these subscription deals: Amazon pays them money for the titles in the program. However, I also acknowledged that the economics of the system would likely restrict the availability to catalog titles, not new releases. Not sure why you needed to argue with my point.
You are correct I did say "no incentive" when I did not actually mean "zero" incentive. It is a disincentive for an established author to allow their newest book into the program ... They can take the pennies on the dollar Amazon is offering for each download (or 10% read, apparently) or they can sell the book outright and make much more. The established author is going to do better selling it outright. Amazon is not going to pay them the same percentage to dump it in an unlimited use program.

The idea of taking a much smaller percentage in an effort to make up the difference in volume is not something a best-selling author needs. It is something a start-up author needs.

Now, I could see adding books from popular authors after the sales have waned.

I wasn't trying to argue with you; just misunderstood where we were headed.
Old 08-07-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I have already read 2 of the 3 books I downloaded since signing up for the program on Sunday. Hell, and I'm still in my free trial month.
Old 08-08-14, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you read more than 2 books a month it's worth (one being included with Prime if you have it).
Old 08-11-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I might end up trying KU out. We have 4 people on our amazon prime account (me, my wife and 2 daughters) so it would be great for the kids since the books they read are usually short. My wife could get picture books to read with my son, too. 10 books a time doesnt sound too bad since you can always return one when you want another.
Old 12-28-14, 09:50 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/te...oses.html?_r=0
Old 01-19-15, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Called it.

Curious what users/readers are thinking of it today? Is it still worth it or did you burn through everything you wanted to read?
Old 02-07-15, 02:00 PM
Banned

if you're a part of it you get money if they read your book, and the customer is not paying for it, so there's more of a chance that they'll read your book.
Old 02-08-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I originally thought this was a good idea, but in hindsight, not so much. At this point, I can only get through a book a month. If authors only get paid if someone reads their book, unlike movies/tv shows that get paid just to be available, there really isn't going to be much income at all.
Old 02-09-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

If you sign up for the free month, you can load 10 books on to your kindle. If you then disable network access, you dont have to finish them before the end of the month.