Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

If you were to publish a book of New Short Stories, what would be in it?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for short stories/writers that are newer. Ones that have been published in the last 30 years.

I've read a lot of classics, and I know there are anthologies of classic short stories and short story writers, but it's usually the same writers and same stories. Poe, Updike, Jackson, Hemingway, London, etc. But there's not a lot of mention of new writers and short stories.

Anybody have any recommendations?
Old 06-08-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: If you were to publish a book of New Short Stories, what would be in it?

If I were to publish a book of short stories, it would be a Karl Edward Wagner horror stories collection. His stories are excellent, and collections of them tend to be extremely rare and expensive. New collections of his tend to become rare and expensive extremely quickly.
Old 06-08-14, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Have you tried any of those "Best of Anthologies" that get released every year? The one I usually read is the "Best Non-Required Reading"

Old 06-09-14, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, and I've read a few of those anthologies and some mcsweeny's but a lot of those just seem like upper middle class white guys talking about poor people or minorities. Reminds me of this american life. I like that stuff from time to time, but I kinda want something different.

I mean if you look at classic short story collections, you have guys like Kipling, Poe, Salinger, Mattheson, Bradbury, Updike, Hammet, etc-there is a large range of genres. And I like some of Gaiman, Leonard, Martin, King, but I feel like their is a lot of other genres I'm missing.
Old 06-26-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

If you like fantasy, GRRM has done a number of excellent short novel collections
Old 06-27-14, 01:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I've read you correctly, I think you are saying that you want to look outside the classic/literary fiction sphere or at least away from a particular kind of subject matter that seems to be in vogue.

You've also alluded to writers within the speculative & crime fiction genres while noting that these tend to be the "big" names.

So you are looking for less well-known writers, maybe in the aforementioned genres but perhaps doing things differently &/or writing outside these genres entirely.

And you are focussing on the short form.

To gain a different perspective, maybe you could try a collection of current writing from outside of your home country. These might be works in translation, or simply garnered from all four corners of the English-speaking world.

I will do my best to look into this again over the weekend and see what I can find that may suit.