Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Star Wars: Books

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Star Wars: Books

I just finished reading Darth Bane Series and Revan, and absolutely loved them both.

I can't decide on which one to read next, so give me some idea guys!

I would be interested in anything on Revan's history if there is more. Didnt see anything when I was trying to pick which one to read next.

How are the Luke Skywalker stories? with his son and Leia/Han children?

Thanks, in advance for any ideas.
Old 03-15-14, 03:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars: Books

I note that you are looking specifically for books set in the Star Wars universe and not for recommendations as to other laudable works of science fiction.

The only such book I've ever read was Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster and I can't now remember a word of it! It seems to be widely available as an e-book/pdf but I cannot vouch for whether the author is happy with that...

Perhaps others can comment as to whether (m)any of the volumes discussed in an earlier thread remain in print/available and are worth a look.
Old 03-15-14, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I dont mind paying for the prices I've seen 5.99 - 13.99... anything higher then that and I would look into those e-book/pdf ones. heh

I will probably get into other science fiction stuff eventually.
Old 04-13-14, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

"Labyrinth of Evil" by James Luceno is my favorite SW EU book. Set between episode II and III (closer to episode III timeline)

The book is fantastic despite what many think of the prequel movies.
Old 04-25-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Some news about the EU going forward...

http://starwars.com/news/the-legenda...-new-page.html

For over 35 years, the Expanded Universe has enriched the Star Wars experience for fans seeking to continue the adventure beyond what is seen on the screen. When he created Star Wars, George Lucas built a universe that sparked the imagination, and inspired others to create. He opened up that universe to be a creative space for other people to tell their own tales. This became the Expanded Universe, or EU, of comics, novels, videogames, and more.

While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.

Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic installments of Star Wars, all aspects of Star Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected. Under Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy's direction, the company for the first time ever has formed a story group to oversee and coordinate all Star Wars creative development.

"We have an unprecedented slate of new Star Wars entertainment on the horizon," said Kennedy. "We're set to bring Star Wars back to the big screen, and continue the adventure through games, books, comics, and new formats that are just emerging. This future of interconnected storytelling will allow fans to explore this galaxy in deeper ways than ever before."

In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.

Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.

On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.

And this is just the beginning of a creatively aligned program of Star Wars storytelling created by the collaboration of incredibly talented people united by their love of that galaxy far, far away....
Old 04-25-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Here's a look at the first 4 books of the new canon:
http://io9.com/first-look-at-the-sta...ium=socialflow

Looks like filler so far, limited to stories set between existing movies. We probably won't see anything set post-ROTJ until after episode VII.
Old 04-27-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Courscant wouldnt be Courscant without the EU.
Old 04-28-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Courscant wouldnt be Courscant without the EU.
It was mentioned before Zahn's trilogy - Zahn just gave it shape and form. However, Lucas does refer to Courscant as a "city planet" as far back as his original notes for the first STAR WARS.
Old 04-28-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oddly, the first book is the one I have the least interest in...the other three sound fantastic, though. Perhaps I'll get more excited about the first book once I find out more about REBELS.
Old 04-28-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It was mentioned before Zahn's trilogy - Zahn just gave it shape and form. However, Lucas does refer to Courscant as a "city planet" as far back as his original notes for the first STAR WARS.
I meant as far as the name goes. I guess Ambrams and the Mouse can now pick and choose other writers ideas now at their leisure. Blegh.
Old 04-28-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
I meant as far as the name goes. I guess Ambrams and the Mouse can now pick and choose other writers ideas now at their leisure. Blegh.
Yep, Zahn came up with the name, along with a ton of details.
Old 04-29-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coruscant, not Courscant. Also, George has pulled plenty from the EU. Darth Maul's double bladed lightsaber, anyone?
Old 05-01-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave up on the EU about 6 years ago. There were too many books and the overall quality was average at best. But part of me is tempted to give these new books a try. I guess I'm one of those suckers you hear about.
Old 05-04-14, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Todays Kindle Daily deal is a crapload of Star Wars graphic novels.
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...d_i=1000677541