DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Recommend a Good Fantasy Series

Blasphemy!
Old 09-26-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I just got finished with Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and really enjoyed it
Old 03-04-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Has anyone here read the series about dragons in the Napoleonic wars? Premise fascinates me.
Old 03-04-13, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second Jim Butcher's Codex Alera. It's high fantasy and much more serious than his Dresden books. It's completely finished and at 6 books it wont beat your wallet like a government mule like the wheel of time. I try to steer all my friends away from TSOIAF because it's pretty clear he never plans on finishing the damn thing.
Old 03-05-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I just got finished with Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and really enjoyed it
I'll second this. Great trilogy. There is even a follow up story that takes place years later called "The Alloy of Law" that's good too.
Old 03-05-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Has anyone here read the series about dragons in the Napoleonic wars? Premise fascinates me.
Naomi Novik's Temeraire series? Personally, I love it. However, I know people who accusing the series of plodding, and while the pace doesn't bother me in the slightest, they may have a point. Of course, I had no issues with pace in the Wheel of Time series, so take that for what you will.
Old 06-16-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Going to give Joe Abercombie a try.
Old 06-16-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Going to give Joe Abercombie a try.
I just finished up reading his First Law trilogy (posted on the 2nd page of the June reading thread).
Old 06-17-13, 01:14 AM

I would strongly recommend the Hyperion cantos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos) by Dan Simmons. It is a 4 book series. The first 2 books are phenomenal and should be read as one story. Book 3 and 4 continue from the first books and, while not as great as the first 2, are still very worth the read.

Mr. Simmons is an interesting writer. He writes many different styles, and seems to be able to pull it off. Especially the first book in the Hyperion cantos, where he needs to tell the story (in Canterbury style) of several people with different backgrounds, is very well written.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (03-15-22)
Old 06-17-13, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LolaRennt
I would strongly recommend the Hyperion cantos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos) by Dan Simmons. It is a 4 book series. The first 2 books are phenomenal and should be read as one story. Book 3 and 4 continue from the first books and, while not as great as the first 2, are still very worth the read.

Mr. Simmons is an interesting writer. He writes many different styles, and seems to be able to pull it off. Especially the first book in the Hyperion cantos, where he needs to tell the story (in Canterbury style) of several people with different backgrounds, is very well written.
I'm a huge fan of Dan Simmons (mostly his horror books) and I've thought about reading his sci-fi for a while now. maybe its time.
Old 06-17-13, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I'm a huge fan of Dan Simmons (mostly his horror books) and I've thought about reading his sci-fi for a while now. maybe its time.
I really couldn't get into the Hyperion books, but man I loved the Illium/Olympos books. Thats some good readin right there.
Trevor (03-15-22)
Old 06-17-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stp115
Naomi Novik's Temeraire series? Personally, I love it. However, I know people who accusing the series of plodding, and while the pace doesn't bother me in the slightest, they may have a point. Of course, I had no issues with pace in the Wheel of Time series, so take that for what you will.
I'd recommend the Temeraire books too. At least give the first one a try, it does get slower in the followups, but they are still good.
Old 06-25-13, 02:51 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by codecomplete
Definately recommend the following series:

- The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
I missed this post. Love this series, I've read it a couple of times over the years.

There are two series that make up the Chronicles. The first five books are the better of the ten and chronicle Corwin of Amber. The second 5 books are not as strong, through they have some parts that were well done. They chronicle Merlin.
Old 12-27-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone heard of Bernard Cornwell? He's apparently been endorsed Martin.
Old 12-28-13, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've read several of the "Richard Sharpe" historical stories that follow a sometimes gruff but very competent Napoleonic rifleman in the British army. A little on the spare side, but I've enjoyed the three I've read so far (and I've picked up five of the others that I've seen on good sales at places like Hamiltonbook .com [which has a thread in the DVD forum]). There are definitely elements here that are in common with what Martin likes to do.

The first recommended to me, and published, was "Sharpe's Rifles", which saw the protagonist in his first adventure on the continent of Europe, although the writer later went back and wrote five earlier tales of him in places like India that I've not yet read.
Trevor (03-15-22)
Old 02-14-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A bump so I can keep these titles somewhere I can remember them. Currently halfway through Dance with Dragons and have read one of Bernard Cornwell's books. His material seems like it could definitely have inspired the series Vikings. I will need to find a series that is close to complete in case I get as into it as I did with Martin's stuff, since we can't count on him to finish it any time soon.
Old 02-15-15, 10:06 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by codecomplete
Definately recommend the following series:

- The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson
- The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
I missed this post. Love this series, I've read it a couple of times over the years.

There are two series that make up the Chronicles. The first five books are the better of the ten and chronicle Corwin of Amber. The second 5 books are not as strong, through they have some parts that were well done. They chronicle Merlin.
A 3rd vote for The Chronicles of Amber. The original trilogy is the best although subsequent books are not bad. I have The Great Book of Amber, it's another one I'll keep until my dying day.

Another vote for The Dragonriders of Pern, original trilogy: Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon, then follow it up with All The Weyrs Of Pern which pretty much continues where The White Dragon leaves off. Excellent series!
Old 02-22-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5
A 3rd vote for The Chronicles of Amber. The original trilogy is the best although subsequent books are not bad. I have The Great Book of Amber, it's another one I'll keep until my dying day.

Another vote for The Dragonriders of Pern, original trilogy: Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon, then follow it up with All The Weyrs Of Pern which pretty much continues where The White Dragon leaves off. Excellent series!
Would love to give those a try, but unfortunately they are not yet in e-format.
Old 03-02-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone ever read Watership Down?
Old 03-03-15, 01:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

Anyone heard of Bernard Cornwell? He's apparently been endorsed Martin.
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Yeah, I've read several of the "Richard Sharpe" historical stories that follow a sometimes gruff but very competent Napoleonic rifleman in the British army. A little on the spare side, but I've enjoyed the three I've read so far (and I've picked up five of the others that I've seen on good sales at places like Hamiltonbook .com [which has a thread in the DVD forum]). There are definitely elements here that are in common with what Martin likes to do.

The first recommended to me, and published, was "Sharpe's Rifles", which saw the protagonist in his first adventure on the continent of Europe, although the writer later went back and wrote five earlier tales of him in places like India that I've not yet read.
In the context of this thread, it is worth noting that BC wrote a couple of series of novels set in Arthurian times or with Arthurian themes: The Warlord Chronicles & The Grail Quest Novels. I've not read either but, for what its worth, my mum was a fan of the The Grail Quest novels.
I read "Watership Down" many years ago - as a young teen - and enjoyed it immensely. Many more anthropomorphised animal books were published in its wake but this was the only one that I read. Another skilled writer occasionally working in that genre is Garry Kilworth whose "Hunter's Moon" I own but have yet to read.
Trevor (03-15-22)
Old 03-03-15, 08:22 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I've seen some mention of David Eddings, and the earlier books are fantastic.
Reading order should be:

Pawn of Prophecy
Queen of Sorcery
Magician's Gambit
Castle of Wizardry
Enchanters' End Game
Guardians of the West
King of the Murgos
Demon Lord of Karanda
Sorceress of Darshiva
The Seeress of Kell
Belgarath the Sorcerer
Polgara the Sorceress
story (08-02-21)
Old 03-04-15, 10:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Would love to give those a try, but unfortunately they are not yet in e-format.
I don't understand why there's no Kindle edition of The Chronicles of Amber, not even The Great Book of Amber...

Here's the Kindle Edition of Dragonriders of Pern (original trilogy):

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonriders-Pern-Dragonflight-Dragonquest-Dragon-ebook/dp/B000RH0E70/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425484046&sr=1-1&keywords=Dragonriders+of+Pern

...and All the Weyrs of Pern:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Weyrs-Pern-Dragon-Books-ebook/dp/B000FBFOKA/ref=sr_1_7_twi_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425484046&sr=1-7&keywords=Dragonriders+of+Pern

Dragonlance Chronicles (separately):

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Autumn-Twilight-Chronicles-Dragonlance-ebook/dp/B004G606K8/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425484628&sr=1-1&keywords=dragonlance+chronicles+trilogy

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Winter-Night-Chronicles-Dragonlance-ebook/dp/B004G8P1J2/ref=sr_1_3_twi_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425484730&sr=1-3&keywords=dragonlance+chronicles+trilogy

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Spring-Dawning-Chronicles-Dragonlance-ebook/dp/B004G5ZYLK/ref=sr_1_4_twi_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425484877&sr=1-4&keywords=dragonlance+chronicles+trilogy
Old 03-04-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

The Chronicles of Master Li and Number 10 Ox, Barry Hughart. The Chronicles consist of a Bridge of Birds (1984), The Story of the Stone (1988), Eight Skilled Gentlemen (1990).

There's currently a Humble ebook bundle that includes the Chronicles, along with a bunch of other books, from Subterranean Press. Overall it's a pretty good selection of reads. You have to pay above the average price to get the Chronicles, but its worth it for Bridge of Birds.
Old 03-04-15, 07:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

My favorite book. I've re-read it more than any other book besides Genesis (annual New Year's resolution that usually ends by March/Leviticus).
Old 03-08-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Taking a break from fantasy with Watership Down, though an argument could be made that it too is fantasy. Going to attempt The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester after that; I have heard he is one of the most underappreciated sci-fi authors of the day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.