Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Westerns?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westerns?

One genre I have never read is the classic western. I gather they sat alongside pulp and mystery novels for decades, but unlike the other two, I can't find a good way to get into western novels. Can you suggest some good ones, please - either authors or titles to look for? Perhaps even a publisher similar to Hard Case Crime, but for the western genre?

thank you,
Andrew
Old 05-30-11, 12:23 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Westerns?

A few examples you may want to look into:

Elmore Leonard wrote many westerns early in his career. All are quite accessible at used book stores. Valdez is Coming and Forty Lashes Less One are the two that I've read.
James Reasoner is a notable western author. I've read one of his Judge Earl Stark series (don't recall the title).
Robert B. Parker wrote the Cole & Hitch series before he passed. Check out the first book "Appaloosa", which was adapted to film by Ed Harris.
Ed Gorman has written several westerns -- check out the Leo Guild and Dev Mallory series. Plus, he published several western stand-alones.

As far as publishers go, Dorchester Publishing used to have an imprint before they discontinued their paperback line (they also used to publish Hard Case Crime). I'm not too familiar with the novels, but I suspect they are still accessible as well. Their website: http://dorchesterpub.com/store/categ...x?CategoryID=9

Last edited by Geofferson; 05-30-11 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-30-11, 02:18 PM

Thank you - I'll check them out.
Old 05-30-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour are probably the two most famous writers of the classic Western genre.

Some of Cormac McCarthy's novels fit the description as well, especially Blood Meridian, although his take on the genre is generally more modern and less classic.
Old 05-30-11, 08:12 PM

I haven't read many Westerns either. But I did buy this book, which seems to be a good introduction to the genre:

The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard

So far the stories I've read in it have been quite enjoyable.
Old 06-01-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're interested in reading a pair of great books that also happen to be Westerns, try McMurtry's Lonesome Dove and Portis' True Grit. Both are excellent.
Old 06-01-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
As far as publishers go, Dorchester Publishing used to have an imprint before they discontinued their paperback line (they also used to publish Hard Case Crime). I'm not too familiar with the novels, but I suspect they are still accessible as well. Their website: http://dorchesterpub.com/store/categ...x?CategoryID=9
All the ones I bought were part of the "Classic Film Collection" -- The Searchers, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Destry Rides Again. Looks like most of them have been discontinued as Dorchester only lists four of them as available.