Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-11, 07:42 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 8,753
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

It will eventually be collected in a short story collection. I'll wait for that.
__________________
Check out my Vinyl Collection
Music 2016 / 2015 Movies 2016 / 2015

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 03:54 PM   #77
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,200
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Just read Mile 81. It wasn't bad, but...

Spoiler:
It was yet another "killer car" story. After Christine and From a Buick 8, neither of which are strong books, King has now officially done that genre to death.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 07:18 AM   #78
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 53,602
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Would you say he's driven it into the ground?



Spoiler:
sorry, that was just ripe for the setup
__________________

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 09:16 AM   #79
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,116
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Would you say he's driven it into the ground?

Dolan's Cadillac.
__________________
Goodnight, everyone. Tomorrow will be worse.
Blog
Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 11:06 AM   #80
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Back on topic: Jonathan Demme ("Silence of the Lambs") will be doing a film adaptation set for 2012. From Wikipedia:

On August 12, 2011, before the novel's release, it was announced that Jonathan Demme has attached himself to write, produce and direct a film adaptation of 11/22/63. King will serve as executive producer. Shooting should begin in the fall of 2012.[6]
__________________
I'm-a one, I'm-a one, the one they call Buttmunker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 10:18 AM   #81
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,208
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Well, the fix is in. King endorses the lone nut theory of the JFK assassination. As if going back in time and restraining Oswald would have done a thing to stop the gunman behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll from firing the fatal head shot. No point in reading this book.

And shame on Demme for buying into it.
__________________
“Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” - Will Durant
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 10:21 AM   #82
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Well, the fix is in. King endorses the lone nut theory of the JFK assassination. As if going back in time and restraining Oswald would have done a thing to stop the gunman behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll from firing the fatal head shot. No point in reading this book.

And shame on Demme for buying into it.
Oh stop! If there was real proof that there was more than one shooter by now, the history books would be rewritten for our Elementry School and Junior High School kids (and High School, and College, and everything else).

Nothing has been rewritten. Our history books say Oswald killed President Kennedy. What would be the point of Stephen King's saying otherwise?
__________________
I'm-a one, I'm-a one, the one they call Buttmunker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 01:08 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hero
 
Quake1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hurricanes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 26,341
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Little more than a week. Cannot fucking wait.
__________________
RIP Mary 1968-2005
i DeManD ONe thOusand Dollars FoR Deb. MeeT Me at the BANK so I caN SEE tHe TellER Hand YOu thE MoNey! - jonw9
"Just take her to some nature shit and propose. She'll be so happy she'll mouth-bang you out in the woods." - Moopher
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 01:15 PM   #84
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Little more than a week. Cannot fucking wait.
Agreed! If I can afford it on release day, it'll be the current book I read:

a) at lunchtime
b) at bedtime
c) on the weekends

Cannot wait for a fairly "straight" Stephen King story. Okay, there's the "time machine" factor, but other than that, it's straight narrative, without supernatural elements. Plus, all the things this time traveler will see between 1958 and 1963 - Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper having their hit song(s), then crashing in their airplane; Elvis Presley; the emergence of the Kennedy Family; the Flintstones debuting on network TV; seeing Times Square as a breeding place for vermin, easy sex, and filth; seeing formerly familiar areas of land before they became what they became later - ie Idlewild Airport, or seeing Co-op City in the Bronx as it was around 1960 - an amusement park; so much, so much.
__________________
I'm-a one, I'm-a one, the one they call Buttmunker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 02:26 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,208
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
Oh stop! If there was real proof that there was more than one shooter by now, the history books would be rewritten for our Elementry School and Junior High School kids (and High School, and College, and everything else).

Nothing has been rewritten. Our history books say Oswald killed President Kennedy. What would be the point of Stephen King's saying otherwise?
Ummm...because it's not true?
__________________
“Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” - Will Durant
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 02:30 PM   #86
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Ummm...because it's not true?
Nobody knows, that's the whole thing in a nutshell! You don't know, I don't know, Vincent Bugliosi doesn't know, Stephen King doesn't know, RFK didn't know, Oswald didnt know, nobody knows...and nobody will ever know.

I think this is the reason alone why History books were never changed or revised. So if nobody knows - why try and fix what isn't broken. Oswald, for better or worse, is JFK's assassin. Perhaps JFK himself would have preferred someone of more significance - even a Communist or a Cuban - to have shot him through the head, as opposed to the lone nut, but History said: "Oswald."

It stuck.
__________________
I'm-a one, I'm-a one, the one they call Buttmunker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 02:31 PM   #87
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,208
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
Okay, there's the "time machine" factor, but other than that, it's straight narrative, without supernatural elements. Plus, all the things this time traveler will see between 1958 and 1963 - Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper having their hit song(s), then crashing in their airplane; Elvis Presley; the emergence of the Kennedy Family; the Flintstones debuting on network TV; seeing Times Square as a breeding place for vermin, easy sex, and filth; seeing formerly familiar areas of land before they became what they became later - ie Idlewild Airport, or seeing Co-op City in the Bronx as it was around 1960 - an amusement park; so much, so much.
Hmmm...I don't need a "time machine"--I remember all that stuff, I was there for some of it and saw the rest on TV and in newspapers when it happened. I don't need Stephen King to take me there. And neither do the rest of you. There are plenty of nonfiction books and documentary films about these subjects.
__________________
“Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” - Will Durant
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 02:33 PM   #88
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Ash, maybe this book isn't for you. I just have a hunch.
__________________
I'm-a one, I'm-a one, the one they call Buttmunker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 02:45 PM   #89
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 8,753
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Who would have thought Buttmunker would be the voice of reason in a debate.
__________________
Check out my Vinyl Collection
Music 2016 / 2015 Movies 2016 / 2015

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 02:47 PM   #90
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

lol - I have my moments.
__________________
I'm-a one, I'm-a one, the one they call Buttmunker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 03:13 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend
 
Liver&Onions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oregonzola
Posts: 14,236
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Hmmm...I don't need a "time machine"--I remember all that stuff, I was there for some of it and saw the rest on TV and in newspapers when it happened. I don't need Stephen King to take me there. And neither do the rest of you. There are plenty of nonfiction books and documentary films about these subjects.
Yeah, fuck all y'all and your escapism!
__________________
Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 06:40 PM   #92
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Sub-basement 3b
Posts: 3,306
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Well, the fix is in. King endorses the lone nut theory of the JFK assassination. As if going back in time and restraining Oswald would have done a thing to stop the gunman behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll from firing the fatal head shot. No point in reading this book.

And shame on Demme for buying into it.
__________________
Heathen pride.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 08:30 AM   #93
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,343
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Well, the fix is in. King endorses the lone nut theory of the JFK assassination. As if going back in time and restraining Oswald would have done a thing to stop the gunman behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll from firing the fatal head shot. No point in reading this book.

And shame on Demme for buying into it.
So, in a FICTIONAL book...you don't have a problem with the characters TRAVELING THROUGH TIME, but you have a problem with the theory that there was only one gunman?
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: JediMatt76

Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 04:13 PM   #94
DVD Talk Hero
 
Quake1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hurricanes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 26,341
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto View Post
Who would have thought Buttmunker would be the voice of reason in a debate.
I was thinking the same fucking thing.
__________________
RIP Mary 1968-2005
i DeManD ONe thOusand Dollars FoR Deb. MeeT Me at the BANK so I caN SEE tHe TellER Hand YOu thE MoNey! - jonw9
"Just take her to some nature shit and propose. She'll be so happy she'll mouth-bang you out in the woods." - Moopher
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 01:04 PM   #95
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 53,602
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

11/22/63 Signed Limited Edition Hardcover

A signed limited edition of 11/22/63 will go on sale at 9 AM ET on Tuesday, November 8th. This will be available on-line only through Simon & Schuster's web site. There will be a one book per customer limit, available to consumers only, no retail accounts. This is also limited to domestic US sales only.

Price $150 plus shipping & handling. Books ship immediately Limited time offer.

Available while supplies last. *Signed by the Author

*Chapter opening photos *Shrink-wrapped

Check back with us on November 8th for the link to place an order.
__________________

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 05:12 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: nowhere
Posts: 520
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...ntain-spoilers
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 02:16 PM   #97
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,064
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
Agreed! If I can afford it on release day, it'll be the current book I read:

a) at lunchtime
b) at bedtime
c) on the weekends

Cannot wait for a fairly "straight" Stephen King story. Okay, there's the "time machine" factor, but other than that, it's straight narrative, without supernatural elements. Plus, all the things this time traveler will see between 1958 and 1963 - Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper having their hit song(s), then crashing in their airplane; Elvis Presley; the emergence of the Kennedy Family; the Flintstones debuting on network TV; seeing Times Square as a breeding place for vermin, easy sex, and filth; seeing formerly familiar areas of land before they became what they became later - ie Idlewild Airport, or seeing Co-op City in the Bronx as it was around 1960 - an amusement park; so much, so much.
I remember being on vacation in Florida. There was this huge empty field with a billboard that read "Future Home of Disney World"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 09:34 AM   #98
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,410
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

Well, today's the day. I'm going to get it, hook or crook. I've never been this excited for a Stephen King release since...since...shit, I don't know when! Basically, when I "discovered" Stephen King, it was the mid-80s, and I just went to the bookstore, swept my arm across the King Bookshelf, tumbled dozens of his paperbacks into my cart, and just read and read and read and read.
__________________
I'm-a one, I'm-a one, the one they call Buttmunker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 02:20 PM   #99
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,673
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

It's interesting that King is covering this territory, since it's well known he was the gunman in the conspiracy to kill John Lennon. www.lennonmurdertruth.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 03:04 PM   #100
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Larry C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Let's Go Heat!
Posts: 7,473
Re: Stephen King: "11/22/63" (releases on 11/8/11)

I just read the "Look Inside" at Amazon and pretended "Jake" was Tim Robbins and "Harry" was Morgan Freeman. This is gonna be good.
__________________
Miami Heat Fan since 1987.
Lets Go HEAT!!!
Miami Heat 2006 NBA Champions!
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0