Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Running

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running

I've been watching these videos of the 2008 Olympics and Bolt's world-breaking performances and I'm riveted all over again. I'd love to learn more about the history and technical an biological aspects of competitive running, how improved nutrition and a better understanding of the body contributed to better times, etc. Browsing through Amazon, I've pretty much only come across personal running guides. Would love to hear your suggestions of books and even articles!
Old 08-27-10, 02:33 PM

Re: Running

I doubt this is what you're looking for, since it's about endurance running rather than sprints, but Christopher McDougal's "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" is really fun and interesting. It's not about nutrition necessarily (though it is brought up) and not about recent improvements in technology or anything like that, but about how we've misunderstood why humans run, and how we should approach it differently.
Old 08-27-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved Born To Run. Definitely one of my favorites.
Old 08-28-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by cornyt
I doubt this is what you're looking for, since it's about endurance running rather than sprints, but Christopher McDougal's "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" is really fun and interesting. It's not about nutrition necessarily (though it is brought up) and not about recent improvements in technology or anything like that, but about how we've misunderstood why humans run, and how we should approach it differently.
Third-ed

Top 5 books Ive read this year
Old 09-01-10, 03:28 PM

4th-ed

Just finished it a week or so ago. Very well written and definitely has me thinking about barefoot running as an option.
Old 09-02-10, 05:50 AM

That one's definitely on my radar, I'm waiting for the paperback release.
I think my best shot is just browsing through articles in Time Magazine and such, but thanks for the responses!