Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Books About Climate Change

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 08-03-10, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to educate myself on the climate change debate. There are a plethora of options and I'm looking for some suggestions. It is such a divisive topic that I fear picking up a book that is too biased, but this might be unavoidable.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a book that lays out both arguments? Preferably one that is somewhat broad and caters to those of us that are not scientifically inclined.
Old 09-20-10, 03:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Books About Climate Change

I admit that I don't read this kind of (non-fiction) book but, as you say, I think that most writers will have an agenda of some kind which will make an "objective" assessment difficult between the covers of a single title.

Maybe what you need - in order to achieve the necessary balance - is for Book Talk contributors to recommend titles of their preferred texts; for and against.

Depending on their own viewpoints, it is likely that some will favour works outlining the pros and some will favour the cons. You can then select a title or two on each side of the argument and maybe order them from your library...

Just my two pennies.
Old 09-20-10, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are looking for the "against" side, drop movielib a note, or just check out his thread in politics.
Old 09-20-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Michael Crichton wrote a (fiction) book called "State of Fear" that involves global warming that's pretty good, especially if you lean towards the skeptic's side of the fence. While the plot is fiction, he uses real scientific data as a "skeleton" for the plot.
Old 09-20-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd treat Crichton's research with a healthy degree of skepticism. His Japanese culture and economic ideas in Rising Sun were not exactly spot on.
Old 09-20-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

"Heavy Weather" by Bruce Sterling. Definitely takes the "pro" side of the global warming debate. It was written in the early 1990s, and takes place somewhere around 2020 or 2030 and follows a group of storm chasers who study super storms.

Hmm. Might be interesting to revisit this at some point and see how well Sterlings vision of the near future matches up with the now. I think I still have my copy somewhere in storage.
Old 09-23-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if you just want a giant look at what's going on with this subject, your better to look up stuff via the net. Just flat search via Google. After doing a lot of research, I would have to put the man-made global warming under fiction. Check out articles on drudgereport.com and infowars.com.

Very informative.

The best power is knowledge