Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Good source for audio books?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 06-16-10, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking for a good source for, preferably free , audio books. MP3 format would be preferred as the player is a Sansa device and that seems to be the easiest to deal w/. I did find a site called booksshouldbefree.com but it is a little unclear to me whether or not those are complete books, it looks like they are though. Has anyone dealt w/ this site before? What is the quality of the books?

TIA

Last edited by nemein; 06-16-10 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Good source for audio books?

Have you checked your local library?
That's where I get most of my audio books.
Old 06-16-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://librivox.org/
Old 06-16-10, 10:29 AM

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/

Mostly classics and the like and you have to pay a little bit extra for higher quality mp3s but the lower quality stuff is indeed free.
Old 06-16-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein
Looking for a good source for, preferably free ,
I could tell you, but you'd have to ban me for advocating piracy.

(Seriously, though, get an Audible.com or Emusic account for brand new stuff, use Librivox for classics, and use your library for stuff in between.)
Old 06-16-10, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
The person I'm looking for has burned through most of the books of interest at all the local libraries.

Thanks everyone for the other links.
Old 06-25-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been using audilbe for a couple years now. $15 a month for 1 book seems reasonable and they frequently have sales with even cheaper prices. It's a great way to get through more books, both during my commute and while I'm at the gym.
Old 06-26-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I love The Classic Tales Podcast, narrated by B.J. Harrison. He does dramatic readings of classic works in the public domain, posted every Friday. His voice work is pretty good, especially his "Jeeves and Wooster" readings. Each episode is free for a few weeks, and if you don't download them during that window, you'll have to pay to download them. I just subscribed in iTunes and keep up with it that way. You can download .mp3s directly from the website.
Old 06-26-10, 05:08 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
+1 for the local library. Our library has an online catalog. You can easily search their entire network of locations and have it sent to your nearest library.
Old 06-30-10, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many local libraries also now have access to places where patrons can "check out" audio books online. I live in a rural area and our library has the service. It was wonderful when I was sick for a week and half with swine flu last year because I could just check out and d/l audio books without infecting others.
Old 07-09-10, 04:04 PM

Just discovered this one. Some Lovecraft, Poe, Wells, LeFanu, etc.

www.voicesinthedark.com
Old 07-15-10, 05:52 AM
Suspended

you can get a free audiobook from audible.com.
Old 07-16-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by msdmoney
I've been using audilbe for a couple years now. $15 a month for 1 book seems reasonable and they frequently have sales with even cheaper prices. It's a great way to get through more books, both during my commute and while I'm at the gym.
While it's not free, as nemein requested in his OP, there are other low cost options with audible.com. After taking advantage of the low cost trial membership, one can suspend membership for three (?) months and still have access to sales; audible usually has one or two sales per year that include 100 or more titles for $5 each. Titles usually include classic literature, modern fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi and fantasy. I find that there are nearly always a few of interest to me in such sales.

Audible also offers a "light" membership for $10 a year that accrues no book credits but, again, allows access to the periodic sale offers. I've scooped up enough $5 audio books that I have about two year's worth at my currrent listening pace. For example, I managed to get the award-winning 45 hour John Lee narrated version of The Count of Monte Cristo for $5 awhile back. To say it was worth my 5 bucks would be putting it mildly. While there is no guarantee that good sales will continue, I think it is worth my $10 a year to find out. (The current sale offer is 300 book titles at $6, $9, and $13.)

While I have often borrowed books on CD from my library, it takes time to rip them and practice to annotate them correctly so that they play in perfect order on my Sansa MP3 player (accepting default annotations from the internet is an exercise in frustration, don't go there). In my experience, every audible.com audio book has played perfectly every time with no fuss. And the user reviews on the site are helpful. (FWIW, one retains access to books purchased from audible.com even after canceling membership.)
Old 08-10-15, 01:49 AM

There are a lot of good source to get audio books. A lot of them. If you want to know where to buy audio books online, just visit legacy-audiobooks.com You may have a hard time looking at the price. Well, I do hope you can still buy it in the future and visit the website again.
Old 09-12-15, 01:54 AM

Zapper.co.uk is the best place to buy cheap Audiobooks as they have a truly huge selection to choose from at really low prices.
Old 09-24-15, 07:23 AM
Cool New Member

Audible is an Amazon company which has more than one and a half lac audiobooks which can be bought, owned, rented or streamed. Then there is Downpour which boasts of completely DRM-free audiobooks, which you can buy as well as rent. Hoopla Digital is another good source with music and TV shows also available, in addition to audiobooks.
Old 09-24-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Wha--what is going on here? Who knew jailbait chasers were such voracious readers?
Old 12-01-15, 09:15 PM

You tube has some.