Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Rare/Limited Books

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 02:12 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Rare/Limited Books

Anyone else here interested in limited run or rare editions of books? They're generally pretty pricey, so I don't have too many, but I do have a few.

Genesis Publications puts out some excellent ones based around classic rock. Mick Rock has been involved with many of them. I picked up this bad boy when it was first published, looks like it's not available anymore. Really beautiful book, in a protective case with many photos never before published. All the text is by Bowie himself.

I picked up this Mariko Mori book after seeing one of her exhibits at the Hammer Museum. I was completely mesmerized by her work, and while it looks like this book is still available, it's really fantastic. Architectural drawings combined with 3D renders and sketches, a very cool piece of work.

Just today I received this numbered copy of American Gods. Signed by Neil Gaiman, the book is covered in Japanese silk, comes in a slipcase, and has 12,000 additional words not included in the other editions. It also comes with a reader copy so you don't have to damage the book by actually, you know, reading it.

I also recently got a copy of The Collected Sherlock Holmes from 1923 from my grandmother. I don't know if it's particularly rare, but it's just cool to have a book that old.

Anyone else have any interesting or noteworthy books in their collection?
Old 02-14-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rare/Limited Books

I don't really have anything interesting to share, but was wondering which methods you use to find these out-of-print/rare books. I'm looking for one particular book in a series and have tried every online book search engine I can find including foreign ones to no avail. Thanks
Old 02-14-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Lots of the books I buy are unusual, rare, or out-of-print. That's why I hope e-books die. If they win, there will no longer be old books from after 2010.

My most interesting book is probably the 2-volume set of Salome by Oscar Wilde, illustrated by Beardsley (in French) and Derain (in English), a limited edition of 1500. Like this. My mother inherited it from her family, and I through her.
Old 02-14-10, 05:10 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1928 edition of the Memoirs of the Count de Grammont is "limited to one thousand copies for the United States," according to the printer's note at the back of the book.

Other than that, I have tons of old books, but none are so kind as to confirm their rarity. My most interesting set is probably my 18-volume Works of Rudyard Kipling, published in 1899. Illustrations by John Lockwood Kipling. Beautiful books.
Old 02-14-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Anyone else here interested in limited run or rare editions of books? They're generally pretty pricey, so I don't have too many, but I do have a few.

Genesis Publications puts out some excellent ones based around classic rock. Mick Rock has been involved with many of them. I picked up this bad boy when it was first published, looks like it's not available anymore. Really beautiful book, in a protective case with many photos never before published. All the text is by Bowie himself.

I picked up this Mariko Mori book after seeing one of her exhibits at the Hammer Museum. I was completely mesmerized by her work, and while it looks like this book is still available, it's really fantastic. Architectural drawings combined with 3D renders and sketches, a very cool piece of work.

Just today I received this numbered copy of American Gods. Signed by Neil Gaiman, the book is covered in Japanese silk, comes in a slipcase, and has 12,000 additional words not included in the other editions. It also comes with a reader copy so you don't have to damage the book by actually, you know, reading it.

I also recently got a copy of The Collected Sherlock Holmes from 1923 from my grandmother. I don't know if it's particularly rare, but it's just cool to have a book that old.

Anyone else have any interesting or noteworthy books in their collection?
I'm a huge fan of ebooks, but I still love the feel of a book in my hand. In my opinion, this only gets better with a well made book. I have a lot of limited books, including, but not limited to...

The entire Grant Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Just Artists editions, but man these are beautiful books. I also have the Grant Talisman/Black house set seen there as well as their edition of Desperation.

From other Authors, I got their edition of Stephen Donaldson's "Daughter of Regals and other tales" and their "The Crow" anthology. All beautiful books. It's kind of a shame that their output has dropped off so much.

I have a bunch of the Hill House editions. I have the same edition of American Gods, but also have their editions of "Melinda" like you see here , a screenplay, called "A Screenplay" like you see here I was supposed o get Anansi Boys, but I got ripped off. I got the chapbook, but never received the final books. The chapbook is here If you somehow recently got the American Gods book from someone at Hill House, I'd love their contact info if you have it. I don't think that they meant ill, just lost my info or something.

My favorites are my editions of "Snow Glass Apples" and "Murder Mysteries" here I have the numbered version in laser etched wooden cases. Very cool. Not very portable though.

I also got the limited edition of "A Crown of Swords" by Robert Jordan. Cool mostly to me. Well done.

As for old, I had to get something old too. I'm a biology major, so I got a 2 book edition of Darwin's "On the Origin of species" from the late 1800s. Only cost me $60, bust still very cool in my mind.

My ultimate dream will be to get a page from a hand transcribed bible going back to the 1300's or so. That's where books started, right?
Old 02-15-10, 10:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stp115

I have a bunch of the Hill House editions. I have the same edition of American Gods, but also have their editions of "Melinda" like you see here , a screenplay, called "A Screenplay" like you see here I was supposed o get Anansi Boys, but I got ripped off. I got the chapbook, but never received the final books. The chapbook is here If you somehow recently got the American Gods book from someone at Hill House, I'd love their contact info if you have it. I don't think that they meant ill, just lost my info or something.
To the best of my knowledge, Hill House is defunct. Neil Gaiman's online store (neilgaiman.net) bought the remaining numbered copies of American Gods, Melinda, and Anansi Boys. They also have a sweet edition of The Graveyard Book that's numbered and limited with illustrations by Dave McKean. So no, I don't know how to contact anyone from Hill House, although I heard they had all kinds of problems with the Anansi Boys pressing, but you can buy a new copy from the Gaiman site.
Old 02-17-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My best friend's grandma has an entire bookcase of old books. Most are from the late 1800's/early 1900's. One of these days I'm gonna write down a few titles to see if they are rare.