Reload this Page >

Rank 'Em As You Read 'Em 2010

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 01-15-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stealing the below from Trevor's 2009 thread.

This thread is different than the monthly "What are you reading" threads:

1.) Please no book images, keep the images confined to the "What are you reading" threads.
2.) Keep your list in one post (edit!) and keep them in some sort of order. Use the below star ranking system if you like (easy way to get the images is to quote this post and copy/paste it out).
3.) When listing a book please use the full title of the book and name of the author.
4.) Write a brief review of the book and tell us why (or why not) you liked the book.
5.) If you like put a link to Amazon or Barnes and Noble to a book using the DVDtalk link.

Happy reading, everybody!

And here are our stars:

Last edited by Fist of Doom; 01-15-10 at 11:09 AM. Reason: To not steal completely from Trevor's 2009 thread.
Old 01-15-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rank 'Em As You Read 'Em 2010

Open by Andre Agassi
Columbine by Dave Cullen
Born To Run by Christopher McDougall
The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
A Study In Scarlett by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Drink Before The War by Dennis Lehane
Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
The Ghost Writer by Robert Harris
Caught by Harlan Coben
The Likeness by Tana French
Shit My Dad Says by Justin Halpern
Prince of Thieves by Chuck Hogan
War by Sebastian Junger
Room by Emma Donoghue

The Bad Guys Won by Jeff Pearlman
The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly
When I Stop Talking by Jerry Weintraub
Lullaby Town by Robert Crais
In The Woods by Tana French
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
The Greatest Trade Ever by Gregory Zuckerman
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Faithful Place by Tana French
The Reversal by Michael Connelly

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly
Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly
Stalking The Angel by Robert Crais
The Devil & Sherlock Holmes by David Grann
What The Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell
9th Judgement by James Patterson
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
Sacred by Dennis Lehane
Blockade Billy by Stephen King
Free Fall by Robert Crais
Voodoo River by Robert Crais
Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow
Sunset Express by Robert Crais
The Passage by Justin Cronin
The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman
Dexter Is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay
The Fall by Guillermo del Toro
Naked Heat by Richard Castle

Crazy For The Storm by Norman Ollestad
Void Moon by Michael Connelly
Worst Case by James Patterson
Game Change by Mark Halperin
The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais
The Ghosts of Belfast by Stuart Neville
Storm Front by Jim Butcher
Beatrice & Virgil by Yann Martel
Between The River & The Bridge by Craig Ferguson
Makers by Cory Doctorow
February by Lisa Moore
Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Suck It, Wonder Woman by Olivia Munn

John Dies At The End by David Wong
Love Me, Hate Me by Jeff Pearlman
The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger
Black Light by Stephen Hunter

The Two Minute Rule by Robert Crais

The Quickie by James Patterson

State of Fear by Michael Crichton

Dark Origins by Anthony Zuiker

Last edited by movieking; 10-25-10 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-15-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

(unranked)

1. Dear Andy Kaufman, I HATE YOUR GUTS! - Lynne Marguiles, Bob Zmuda
2. Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle - Chris Hedges
3. Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 - James Patterson & NaRae Lee
4. Walden; Or, Life in the Woods - Henry David Thoreau
5. All My Life For Sale - John D. Freyer
6. American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America - Chris Hedges
7. Civil Disobedience and Other Essays - Henry David Thoreau
8. Ghosts in the Machine: The Dark Heart of Pop Cinema - Michael Atkinson
9. The Movies of Alfred Hitchcock - Judy Arginteanu
10. The "Late Night with David Letterman" Book of Top Ten Lists
11. Rescue from Domestic Perfection: The Not-So Secrets of Balancing Life and Style - Dan Ho
12. Dare to Succeed: How to Survive and Thrive in the Game of Life - Mark Burnett
13. I Rant, Therefore I Am - Dennis Miller
14. Inventory - A.V. Club
15. The Art of Barter: How to Trade for Almost Anything - Karen S. Hoffman and Shera D. Dalin
16. God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens
17. Only the Dreamer Can Change the Dream - John Logan
18. The Elements of Style (4th Edition) - William Strunk, Jr. & E. B. White

Last edited by William Fuld; 11-28-10 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Under the Dome - Stephen King
2. Scarecrow - Matthew Reilly
3. Invictus (Playing the Enemy) - John Carlin
4. The Deep - Peter Benchley
5. Meg: Primal Waters - Steve Alten
6. The Trench - Steve Alten
7. Fatal Tide - Iris Johansen
8. Corsair - Clive Cussler
9. The 6 Sacred Stones - Matthew Reilly
10. Ice Station - Matthew Reilly
11. Golden Buddha - Clive Cussler
12. Darkness - John Saul
13. Area 7 - Matthew Reilly
14. Neanderthal - John Darnton
15. The Sea Hunters - Clive Cussler
16. With No One As Witness - Elizabeth George

Last edited by Keith6601; 04-29-10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

John's 2010 Book Rankings

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (608)
The Weight of Blood: The Half Orcs, Book 1 - David Dalglish (3,981 Locations) **KINDLE**
The Concrete Blonde - Michael Connelly (512)
Quarry in the Middle - Max Allan Collins (2,605 Locations) **KINDLE**

1/2
The Black Echo - Michael Connelly (496)
The Black Ice - Michael Connelly (448)
Act of Treason - Vince Flynn (467)
Bloodsucking Fiends - Christopher Moore (304)
The Road - Cormac McCarthy (287)
The Secret Adversary - Agatha Christie (4,896 Locations) **KINDLE**
UR - Stephen King (1,751 Locations) **KINDLE**
Murder on the Links - Agatha Christie (2,645 Locations) **KINDLE**
Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Fable for Managers and Their Employees - Patrick Lencioni (272)

%

Last edited by Quake1028; 08-19-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Empire Falls Richard Russo

Nine Stories J.D. Salinger

Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

A Simple Plan Scott Smith *
The Thin Red Line James Jones *
The Broker John Grisham
Getting Even Woody Allen

Side Effects Woody Allen
CSI: Miami - Florida Getaway Max Allan Collins *
The Firm John Grisham

Killing Hitler Roger Moorhouse *

* first-time read.

Last edited by Fist of Doom; 05-21-10 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I decided to chuck the star system and use the more generic adjective-based system I'm using in the Rank 'Em Movie thread.

Impressive
A Small Town in Germany by John Le Carre - Might have rated it higher, but it was awfully slow going in the beginning.

Inside "Inside" by James Lipton - Took me 3 months to read because of a vitamin D deficiency issue, so it may be more enjoyable than I felt. It's hard to enjoy something when it's a chore to concentrate long enough to finish an entire page in under a half an hour.

Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival by Anderson Cooper - The structure (which reads like excerpts from someone's diary, coupled with therapy session notes) keeps this from going as deep as its content seems to demand; still very compelling.

Frost/Nixon: Behind the Scenes of the Nixon Interviews by Sir David Frost with Bob Zelnick - Given that the second half of the book is comprised of excerpts from the transcripts, which make redundant several passages in the anecdotal first half, I think this would have been better presented as an annotated transcript...which, of course, no one would have wanted to buy. Nothing groundbreaking here, but worth a read to get Frost's insights.

DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore by Alan Moore with Various Artists - a collection of assorted superhero stories penned by Moore, including some bona fide masterpieces like "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" and Batman: The Killing Joke. There were some very imaginative stories about the Green Lantern Corps, and Moore's take on Superman was surprisingly sincere. I half-expected something sordid, but he played it straight.

The Bluest Eye by Tony Morrison - 1941 Lorain, OH is the setting for this story about a young African-American girl who grapples with racial self-loathing. Part of the novel is told from the first person perspective of Claudia, growing up with her sister Frieda; other portions are told in the third person omniscient voice, exploring the background of assorted characters. The changing voices is helpful (though not as well executed as perhaps it was hoped), as is the structure of the novel (it is broken into four sections, each assigned to a season of the year). Not as strong or compelling as Ellison's Invisible Man, which explores very similar themes.

Sin City: Family Values by Frank Miller - I'd read it before, but it's been several years and I was surprised by how much I'd forgotten. Once you get past the standard hyper-violence, what remains is actually an oddly warm story about the different natures of families. Miller's characters are anti-heroes at best, but I'm frequently surprised by how many noble qualities are infused into them. I also re-read The Babe Wore Read and Other Stories, Sex & Violence and Just Another Saturday Night. "The Babe Wore Red" was actually the first Sin City story I ever read; I first read it when it was serialized in Previews. I just happened to buy the first issue that year that featured it, and kept buying to keep up with the story.

Superbad: The Drawings Illustrations by David Goldberg, Foreword by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg - A collection of illustrations made for the film, Superbad, with anthropomorphic penises as the subject. This isn't for everyone, obviously, but the imagination is undeniable. The depiction of the lone student penis defying the tanks at Tiananman Square alone was worth adding this book to my library. Its $15.00 cover price is unreasonably high, but it's such an unusual volume that I did not hesitate to buy a used copy at Half Price Books for just a few bucks.

Batman: Shaman Written by Denny O'Neil, Art by - Issues 1-5 of Legends of the Dark Knight. Tells of Bruce Wayne's debut as Batman in a story that connects Gotham's rising drug crime with the mythology of a group of Alaskan natives he encountered during his training period. It's pretty easy to see the influence this had on Batman Begins 16 years later. The dialog between Bruce and Alfred is sharp, the story interesting relies more on being a good old fashioned detective story than an action packed superhero tale. Has aged very well.

Right Ho, Jeeves Written by P.G. Wodehouse, Narrated by B.J. Harrison - unabridged audio performance of Wodehouse's novel in Harrison's "The Classic Tales Podcast" series. Love the Jeeves stories and their lightheartedness; it was fun to see which story elements were taken for different episodes of the BBC TV series, Jeeves & Wooster with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie; I think this book was mined for most of the first season! I loved Harrison's vocal work, as well, really punctuating Wodehouse's whimsical style.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain - My review, and reasons for reading the book, can be found here.

Composed: A Memoir by Rosanne Cash - My review can be found here. Cash herself was kind enough to tweet me a response to my review.

The Tale of One Bad Rat by Brian Talbot - My review can be found here.

Average
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - The Screenplay by Nicholas Meyer & Denny Martin Flinn, Story by Leonard Nimoy and Lawrence Konner & Mark Rosenthal - Published in 1994 as part of Premiere's Movie Script Library series. Interesting that it included some misspellings ("Chekhov" on some early pages, and a few non-name words throughout), and that they spelled "Val'eris" instead of "Valeris." Some of the non-dialog remarks were interesting, especially some inner feelings and thoughts of Kirk's & Spock's.

The Adventures of Slim & Howdy by Kix Brooks & Ronnie Dunn with Bill Fitzhugh - A pair of wanna-be country singers meet by happenstance and decide to take a chance as partners, and get caught up in a series of shenanigans leading up to the boys having to rescue a kidnapped woman. It's fun, light reading and went well with a lazy morning spent in the hammock smelling honeysuckle. Terribly predictable, of course, but amusing.

Batman: The Last Arkham written by Alan Grant, art by Norm Breyfogle - the first four issues of Batman: Shadow of the Bat, this tells of Batman investigating Arkham Asylum and its new warden, Jeremiah Arkham, whose methods are unorthodox and extreme. Batman is convinced that the serial killer Mr. Zsasz is responsible for a rash of murders, despite being under maximum security. It's pop psychology throughout, but interesting nonetheless. Grant asks some valid questions, such as what our real goals with offenders should be. Advances in psychological-based storytelling have dated this somewhat, and the mystery angle isn't as clever as it could be. Still a fun read, and a bold beginning for one of my favorite superhero titles.

Giving by Bill Clinton - The former president makes the case for charitable contributions of time and money, offering a showcase of various operations around the world as examples. The pace moves quickly; he rarely devotes more than two consecutive paragraphs to the same organizational effort. Still, it reads pretty dry and it's a bit discouraging that nearly every example he holds up has to be qualified with the disclaimer that while most of us aren't capable of operating on that kind of scale, with those kinds of resources, everyone of us can do something. I was kind of hoping for more clear-cut examples of how the rest of us could give without having to establish a foundation. There are a handful of genuinely moving anecdotes that made this rewarding, and the back of the book includes a directory for organizations and books cited throughout each chapter that could be quite handy for any number of reasons. It's not essential reading by any means, but I confess that I do feel like I've run out of excuses for not being more participatory in helping to improve the world.

Bone: Rose written by Jeff Smith, illustrated by Charles Vess - Prequel to Smith's Bone series. I'm glad I read this after the series proper, because it would have spoiled quite a lot. The trade-off is that, knowing what happens made this account of the backstory superfluous. I'm glad I read it, because I loved that world, but I'm also glad I was patient and checked it out from the library. (It was OOP for quite a while and fetched upwards of $300 at times on eBay in the last several years.)

Octopussy by Ian Fleming - It was pretty bittersweet to finish Fleming's Bond series. Each of the three short stories could have been part of a larger tale, and it was interesting to read "The Living Daylights" and "The Property of a Lady" after first seeing them incorporated into movie storylines. My favorite of the three was "Octopussy," which I felt harked back to "The Hildebrand Rarity."

The Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs - I found this likable enough, but rather weak relatively. Virtually absent were the insights into Martian culture that I found so appealing about the previous stories, and it just felt like Burroughs wrote this one with less enthusiasm and inspiration. Still, I'm looking forward to continuing the series next year with Thuvia, Maid of Mars.

Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks ["writing as Ian Fleming"] - The literary James Bond is recognizable in the book, which was nice. Faulks also did a good job infusing a lot of travelogue-type settings and information, a la Fleming and I liked Scarlett. The villain's plot was so-so; it was fairly recycled, but placed in a sort of Da Vinci Code-type conspiracy trying to connect events from Vietnam to 9/11 (while staying entirely in the 1960s). Some of it was interesting and felt like a Bond novel and some of it felt entirely contrived like a Bond imitation.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 11-12-10 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is my year to make up for some embarrassing oversights in my literary vocabulary:

1984 - George Orwell
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
Dune - Frank Hebert
The Hunter - Donald E. Westlake as Richard Stark
No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death - Kurt Vonnegut
Stray Toasters - Bill Sienkiewicz

Animal Farm - George Orwell
Diamonds Are Forever - Ian Fleming
From Russia with Love - Ian Fleming
Halo: Evolutions - various
Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
The Man with the Getaway Face - Donald E. Westlake as Richard Stark
Mass Effect: Retribution - Drew Karpshyn
The Orchard Keeper - Cormac McCarthy
Peter & Max: A Fables Novel - Bill Willingham

Moonraker - Ian Fleming

Severance Package - Duane Swierczynski

Last edited by ultimaton; 12-22-10 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 12:22 AM

i cant read
Old 06-09-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall
The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

Horns by Joe Hill
Under the Dome by Steven King
New York: The Novel by Edward Rutherfurd
A People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present by Howard Zinn
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann
Aesop's Fables, by Aesop

Superfreakanomics by Dunbar and Levitt
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow
The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty: The Game, the Team, and the Cost of Greatness by Buster Olney
City of Illusions by Ursula K. LeGuin and Jack Gaughan
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Black Echo by Michael Connelly

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures by Malcolm Gladwell
Diary: A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk
Makers by Cory Doctorow
Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin
The Templars: The History and the Myth: From Solomon's Temple to the Freemasons by Michael Haag
The Forty Years War: The Rise and Fall of the Neocons, from Nixon to Obama by Len Colodny and Tom Shachtman

13 Bankers: The Wall Street Takeover and the Next Financial Meltdown by Simon Johnson and James Kwak
Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made by Michael Adams
Highest Duty: My Search for What Really Matters by Chesley B. Sullenberger and Jeffrey Zaslow

I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert
The Kingdom of Ohio by Matthew Flaming
Why We Run: A Natural History by Bernd Heinrich
The 101 Most Influential People Who Never Lived: How Characters of Fiction, Myth, Legends, Television, and Movies Have Shaped Our Society, Changed Our Behavior, and Set the Course of History by Dan Karlan, Allan Lazar, and Jeremy Salter

Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (in order to get a review this low I obviously couldn't have finished a book, this one lasted 10 pages before I deleted it from my Kindle, the faux Mammy voice of the narrator made me ill)

ON DECK

Paradise Lost by John Milton
Green Metropolis: Why Living Smaller, Living Closer, and Driving Less are the Keys to Sustainability by David Owen

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 07-08-10 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-20-10, 02:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (2002) - 1/21
Still Life with Crows by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (2003) - 1/25
Brimstone by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (2004) - 3/02
Dance of Death by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (2005) - 3/15
Endymion by Dan Simmons (1996) - 5/08
Fever Dream by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (2010) - 9/08 [Kindle]
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (2005) - 12/03 [Kindle]
Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (1994) - 12/30

Blood Price by Tanya Huff (1991) - 1/01
Blood Trail by Tanya Huff (1992) - 1/10
The Codex by Douglas Preston (2004) - 2/14
The Book of the Dead by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (2007) - 3/27
Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris (2010) - 5/04
Ardeur: Unauthorized Essays on Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series by Laurell K. Hamilton & others (2010) - 6/06 [Kindle]
The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (1997) - 8/21
The Colorado Kid by Stephen King (2005) - 8/23 [Kindle]
The Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (2007) - 8/27
Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child (2009) - 9/03 [Kindle]
Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston (2005) - 9/14
Blasphemy by Douglas Preston (2008) - 10/07
Grave Peril by Jim Butcher (2001) - 11/13
Citizen X (aka The Killer Department by Robert Cullen (1993) - 11/20
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (2006) - 12/20 [Kindle]
Summer Knight by Jim Butcher (2002) - 12/24

Death Match by Lincoln Child (2004) - 2/02
Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton (2010) - 2/06 [Kindle]
Bullet by Laurell K. Hamilton (2010) - 6/12 [Kindle]
Impact by Douglas Preston (2010) - 11/11 [Kindle]

Last edited by tarfrimmer; 12-30-10 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just updated my list with a number of ratings for books I hadn't had a chance to enter.
Old 01-25-11, 03:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

I'll cut this one loose but leave open in case anyone wished to update - or even start from scratch.