Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King working on sequel to The Shining

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Stephen King working on sequel to The Shining

I'm about half way through and it is very good. As I mentioned in the movie thread it shows King has mostly returned to his classic form.

As a big fan of his son (Joe Hill) I loved the fact that did King not only continues to reference his previous books he also included Hill's NOS4A2 in his overall universe.
Old 10-01-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

That's cool. I noticed Dark Tower references in NOS4A2 also.
Old 10-05-13, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Finished this yesterday. Really enjoyed it, my favorite SK book in a long time.

I was surprised by one thing though,
Spoiler:
none of the "good guys" died at the end. I was sure Billy or Dan would not make it.
Old 10-05-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by collven
Finished this yesterday. Really enjoyed it, my favorite SK book in a long time.

I was surprised by one thing though,
Spoiler:
none of the "good guys" died at the end. I was sure Billy or Dan would not make it.
Maybe
Spoiler:
Stephen King wants to make Doctor Sleep into his 'Odd Thomas' character.
Old 10-06-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe
Spoiler:
Stephen King wants to make Doctor Sleep into his 'Odd Thomas' character.
I guess I could see that.
Old 10-06-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished myself. Pretty good book from start to finish, although I didn't feel as connected to some of the characters as I do at the end of some King books.

Spoiler:
The True Knot seemed like pushovers. Throwing the whole measles thing in as well just made them seem even less like a threat. The touched on psychic abilities could have been used more. A fun adventure indeed though.
Old 10-08-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I have no knowledge of The Shining... never read the book, never seen the movie. Is this a book you can pickup and understand what's going on or should I read The Shining first?
Old 10-13-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's not too late for an answer, I would definitely read The Shining first. It's not that you won't understand what's going on in the new book if you don't, but there are quite a few references to things that happen in The Shining. Not to mention it's one of Stephen King's best books ever.
Old 10-14-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by collven
If it's not too late for an answer, I would definitely read The Shining first. It's not that you won't understand what's going on in the new book if you don't, but there are quite a few references to things that happen in The Shining. Not to mention it's one of Stephen King's best books ever.
I agree

I finished it and... I liked it. Despite being fairly long it ended up feeling kind of "lite". I just didn't get the deep, serious character studies that come with most of his books. In a way very similar to Joyland. I enjoyed it and was happy with the ending (something somewhat rare with King's books) but wished it had more meat to it.
Old 11-01-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Just finished this one this week. I enjoyed it, but it really wasn't any more than an extended epilogue to The Shining. The True Knot were one of the least scary villains I recall from a King story.

Spoiler:
The only sequence that felt a little suspenseful was the kidnapping sequence. And I'd have to go back and reread it, but my initial feeling was that King cheated a bit. There were several times where it said something about how Dan would later immensely regret a mistake or oversight. From that, I expected something truly horrendous to happen to Abra, her parents or someone else. Of course, the kidnapping would be incredibly traumatic to a real child, but it felt pretty low stakes for King's world, especially with the foreshadowing. Said foreshadowing also gave away that Dan was going to live through to the end, since that's the only way he'd be able to look back and regret things.

Anyway, it was a fun read and I'll take whatever King puts out, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were let down by it. I did like the tie-ins to NOS4A2, which was fantastic.
Old 11-09-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed the book, probably more than the Shining, which I just finished prior to starting Doctor Sleep. Having seen the movie first, it lessened the impact of the book, although I did prefer the book to the movie.

Some thoughts on Doctor Sleep:

Spoiler:
I can see Abra being the big bad in a trilogy of this series in the future. King sort of foreshadowed this towards the end, with her breaking all of mother's plates in anger. I wasn't expecting Abra and Dan to be related, but ultimately, it made sense. Having Jack distract Ruth briefly was a bit unexpected, and I would have liked this fleshed out a bit more afterwards, but overall, the book was entertaining
Old 06-30-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Spoiler:
I can see Abra being the big bad in a trilogy of this series in the future. King sort of foreshadowed this towards the end, with her breaking all of mother's plates in anger. I wasn't expecting Abra and Dan to be related, but ultimately, it made sense. Having Jack distract Ruth briefly was a bit unexpected, and I would have liked this fleshed out a bit more afterwards, but overall, the book was entertaining
That would be great! That being said I liked the book quite a bit. My only gripe was that the True Knot were a little too humanized imho. I really didn't take them for more than organized rednecks. Other than that it was solid.
Old 08-11-14, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A strange duo of New Member bumps...
Old 01-25-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Just finished this one. Fantastic read. Much better than I expected but I do agree with some of the more recent posts. The True Knot didn't seem like a very formidable villain. The kidnapping was intense(as was the first showdown with the group at the Cloud Gap train) but the final showdown kinda came and went. Rose was a pushover. I guess Dan being related to Abra made sense but it felt more like a Return of the Jedi moment... i.e. "let's just throw this out there" kinda thing. Maybe if the reveal was made sooner it wouldn't have felt as cheap.

I also think King dropped the ball in a couple areas, especially in regards to it being a sequel. Sure it's Danny all grown up but other than that and, "let's set the finale on the Overlook grounds" it really could have been a standalone novel with no relation to the Shining. Kinda like how Kubrick's film has little in common with the novel.

Other reveals/tie-ins I was expecting: I kept waiting for Dan to unleash all his lock boxes on Rose. IIRC I think he only opened one. Tying into that I expected the True Knot to be former Overlook residents that lived off the boiler steam. Once the Overlook was gone they were left to roam free and fend for themselves. Having them be centuries old 'vampires' was pretty by-the-numbers.