Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Hard Case Crime, Part 4

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hard Case Crime, Part 4

Originally Posted by wmermine
I'm not digging the cover for "Nobody's Angel" and that's really making me not that interested in the book (yes, I'm judging the book by its cover). However, Ardai makes it sounds pretty intriguing!
Do yourself a favor and buy it anyway. I started reading it yesterday, and before I knew it I'd read a hundred pages. Its that good.
Old 05-25-10, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a pretty strong recommendation. I think I will pick it up. I've been needing to get back to the Hard Case Crime anyway.

I've strayed into other things since getting a Kindle and they don't have many HCC on there (plus, you miss out on the great covers).
Old 05-25-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a pretty strong recommendation. I think I will pick it up. I've been needing to get back to the Hard Case Crime anyway.

I've strayed into other things since getting a Kindle and they don't have many HCC on there (plus, you miss out on the great covers).

No doubt. Honestly 1/2 the reason i am buying the books (even though my backlog is huge) is due to the art.
Old 05-26-10, 07:27 AM

I have all but the last 6 or so books (I have a huge backlog, too. I think I've read probably 70% of the series at this point).

I have a real problem displaying/storing them. Obviously, the art is very important to the series, but the spines are ugly (well, not ugly, I like the vintage feel, but certainly not as cool as the covers). Got any creative storage ideas, anyone?
Old 05-26-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished it yesterday. It's already one of my favorites.
Old 05-26-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have all of them, although I haven't read a lot of them. But once you start, you just have to keep getting them. It's an addiction!
Old 05-27-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Meglos
Do yourself a favor and buy it anyway. I started reading it yesterday, and before I knew it I'd read a hundred pages. Its that good.
I dunno I am 70 plus pages in and it just reads as a cab drivers itinerary after a while it gets a little tiring, unless of course you are from Chicago and know the area then I am sure it's a more interesting read.

I will stick with it as I am sure it will pick up
Not as exciting as Somebody Owes Me Money by Westlake (HCC # 044) which also concerned a cab driver.
Old 06-03-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

So I got a new cell phone this week - a touchscreen one - and, of course, the stock wallpapers are pretty blah. Then I had an epiphany: when shrunk down a bit, the HCC covers from the official site are almost the same resolution as my phone's screen! Right now I'm sporting the cover of Blackmailer as my wallpaper.

Over the weekend I finished The Max. I think I liked it better than Slide, but it still couldn't touch Bust. When Max is in gangsta mode, he's one of the most annoying characters I've ever read. It was left open for possibly another sequel and, who knows, maybe...

Spoiler:
...the "Irish" incarnation of Max will be more palatable. And I can't believe they killed off Angela.

Also, the cover would lead you to believe that at least a significant portion of the story would take place in a women's prison, when in fact only a chapter or two did. I wanted more caged heat, dammit!

I started 361 last night.

Last edited by DJLinus; 06-03-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-04-10, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Meglos
Thank you for talking me into this one. I just finished it up last night. I really loved the way it was written and the culmination.
Old 06-19-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished 361 last night. Normally, revenge tales are my bread and butter, but this one was just okay.

Spoiler:
Ray was out for revenge at the very beginning, which lessened his actions. Usually, these types of stories give you a decent foundation of the character's life before he (or his family) is wronged. This one didn't, so I had no connection to Ray and therefore didn't care too much whether or not he got his payback.

It held my interest, but wasn't one of the better HCC books I've read.

Up next: probably Gun Work.
Old 06-24-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished Gun Work last night and LOVED it. From time to time it's nice to read a story that contains a ton of balls to the wall action.

Spoiler:
I was wincing when Barney got his trigger fingers partially cut off and then immediately checked the cover. As many times as I looked at it, I never noticed he was holding his pistol with his middle finger on the trigger. Can't believe I missed that.

A negative customer review of the book on Amazon likened it to an unfilmed grindhouse script. Of all of the HCC I've read so far, I think I'd like to see this one adapted to film the most. The cover painting's Barney really gave off a Thomas Jane vibe.

Up next: Zero Cool (it is my cell phone wallpaper, after all)
Old 06-30-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Zero Cool was fun and fast-paced. The European (mostly Spain) setting was a nice change of pace. I rather enjoyed it. And it has one of the best HCC covers, IMO.

Tonight I'm going to start Home Is The Sailor.
Old 07-04-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked the Crichton (John Lange) books. I'd read them before, but it was good to see them in new editions.
Old 07-08-10, 01:09 PM

Quarry in the Middle (Kindle Edition) is only $2.99 on Amazon right now. Pretty good deal there, if you're willing to forgo the print edition.
Old 07-23-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
Just picked this up on my lunch break.

I have to admit to reading a few Hallidays before, and not being impressed, but considering HCC's track record, I'm willing to give him another shot.
Old 07-23-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the reminder about that one! This more erratic schedule is harder to keep on top of...
Old 07-23-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice. Just yesterday the book club was showing Nobody's Angel as the current book. Saw your post and went back today and it's updated so I just went ahead and signed up for the book club.

I also just ordered two books the other day that's part of their "Summer Beach Reads" sale - Zero Cool and Home is the Sailor for 2 bucks each. Already had the third one that I got for a buck or two at either Dollar General or Big Lots.

So far I've read about 12 or so HCC books, and the only one I didn't really care for was Kiss her Goodbye.

Last edited by dgmayor; 07-26-10 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 07-25-10, 04:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Started Westlake's Memory the other day. A nice departure from the typical crime yarn. Am only 150 pages in, but so far so good.
Old 08-08-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just picked up two at the local used book store (Half-Price Books). It was hard to locate them since they don't have them shelved together. Instead, they are shelved by author. So I picked up the Stephen King one (which I've heard is just mediocre) and House Dick by E. Howard Hunt.
Old 08-08-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dgmayor
Nice. Just yesterday the book club was showing Nobody's Angel as the current book. Saw your post and went back today and it's updated so I just went ahead and signed up for the book club.
Well, Two weeks later, still haven't received the newest book. Strange since it took less than a week to receive the other two I ordered just days before.
The following users liked this post:
leacha (07-03-21)
Old 08-08-10, 09:17 PM

Latest from Mr. Ardai:

Friends,

Those of you who are tuned in to goings-on in the publishing industry may have seen the announcement last week from Dorchester Publishing that they've decided to get out of the business of publishing mass-market paperback novels (the main business they've been in for the past 40 years). Instead, they've announced they're only going to publish ebooks and a limited number of larger trade paperbacks, using a 'print on demand' process.

What does this have to do with Hard Case Crime? Well, for the past six years, Dorchester has been the company that has printed and distributed our books. They're a first-rate company run by good people, and I'm sorry to see them going through tough times. I'm also sorry to see them stop publishing books in our format. What does this mean for us? Well, either we'll need to switch from the smaller "mass market" format to the larger "trade" format, or we'll need to start working with another publisher, or both. (Most likely both, but we'll see.)

It'll take a little while for this all to get sorted out, and I apologize for delays in the meantime. Our August title, Brett Halliday's MURDER IS MY BUSINESS, has shipped to booksellers and is available right now. I'd encourage you to grab a copy while you can -- it's a terrific book (with a gorgeous Robert McGinnis cover), and it'll be the last new Hard Case Crime book you'll see for a while. The next two -- QUARRY'S EX by Max Allan Collins and CHOKE HOLD by Christa Faust -- will not be coming out in October and March as planned. They will come out -- but probably not till sometime later next year. We'll keep you posted as soon as we know when.

And you'll be glad to know we're already at work on subsequent titles. It's too early to spill the beans about what they are -- but it looks like books #69 and #70 will actually be by the same author, one well known to readers of our line. The former will be a reprint, the latter a brand-new book, and both are very exciting. As soon as I can let the cat out of the bag (once the ink is dry on the contracts!), you'll hear more.

After that? Well, you won't be seeing a new book every month, but I expect you'll continue to see a handful of new Hard Case Crime titles each year, and rest assured they'll be good ones. Stay tuned to your email for news and announcements (also not every month -- but every time we've got news to share, I promise).

And if you're a member of the Hard Case Crime Book Club, I'd say don't cancel that subscription just yet -- again, it's too early to talk about what we've got in store, but a neat idea has surfaced for a way to keep the books coming and if it works out, I think you're going to like it. (I know I'm excited about it.)

In the meantime, I want to thank you all for your years of support and your passion for our books -- it feels good to know so many of you are as excited about these books as I am, and (circumstances permitting) I'm looking forward to bringing you more of them for years to come.

Best,
Charles
Old 08-09-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, crap. I hope they survive. Would like to see them continue with small, pulpy paperbacks. The line just wouldn't have the same charm as trades, would it?
Old 08-09-10, 12:59 PM

Yeah, probably not. That said though, I'd be happy to see their line picked up by a smaller publishing press that currently puts out crime/noir (i.e., Busted Flush, New Pulp Press, Bleak House, etc). HCC shouldn't have a problem finding a new home...

Heck, maybe they get picked by Random House's crime imprint Black Lizard. They publish trades today, but Black Lizard used to do in the 80s what HCC is currently doing (resurrect pulps and reissue as paperbacks). They did this until Random House bought them out.

Last edited by Geofferson; 08-09-10 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well this sucks !...I wonder if the value will jump on certain titles.
I have everyone except 3 or 4 of them ...I kept putting off buying them I hope I am not too late?
Old 08-09-10, 01:16 PM

All of the existing titles are still widely available (I would assume). I still see a lot of them at used bookstores I frequent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.