Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy (by Guillermo Del Toro)

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 10:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Comes out June 2nd and sounds like it is worth checking out. Link to the Amazon page which has a clip of Del Toro explaining the book.
Old 06-01-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy (by Guillermo Del Toro)

yep..im looking forward to this in spite of Entertaiment Weeklys less than stellar review..woudl really liek to know how much GDT contributed to it though
Old 06-01-09, 11:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

EW's review for reference: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20281090,00.html

The Strain (2009)
Chuck Hogan, Guillermo del Toro
By Jeff Jensen

Guillermo del Toro has been
 a busy man since nabbing an Oscar nod for his Spanish-language 
 art-house fantasy Pan's Labyrinth in 2007. He helmed a summertime crowd-pleaser, Hellboy II, produced more than five movies, and began writing the screenplays for his next directorial effort, a two-part adaptation of The Hobbit. Now the Mexican auteur has coauthored The Strain, a sci-fi vampire opus that's a cross between The Hot Zone and 'Salem's Lot. It's hard to believe he found time for 
 such an ambitious project — and after reading the book, it seems clear he didn't.

The Strain was co-written by Chuck Hogan, whose résumé is largely composed of mass-market thrillers. This newest credit seems to recycle ideas from 
 del Toro's 2002 vampire movie Blade II and Hogan's 1998 novel The Blood Artists, whose freaky scenario has egghead heroes scrambling to hunt down a plague carrier. In The Strain, a plane lands in New York, nearly all passengers dead, victims of a mysterious contagion. Biohazard experts bust their brains for a scientific solution despite evidence to the contrary: blood-drained victims, neck abrasions, a coffin filled with dirt, etc. They are set straight by an aged Holocaust survivor who's spent his life hunting an ancient vampire that preyed upon the infirm at his concentration camp. But as they set out to stop the übervamp from turning Manhattanites into either food or foot soldiers in his grand war on humanity, you realize The Strain — far from wrapping up — is but the first chapter in a 
 trilogy. There's more? Really?

The Strain is a competently constructed piece of entertainment, and I'll give it bonus points for shaking up some vampire clichés. No fangs here; instead, these creatures use — oh, why spoil one of the book's few
 surprises? What's missing in The Strain is the idiosyncratic artistry and the alchemical fusion of high and low pop that made Pan's Labyrinth so special. The novel could have used a little less Hogan and little more del Toro. C
Old 06-01-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just coming here to post this... I will jump into this no problem.. I'm a sucker from apocalyptic stories and this seems to fit the bill. I'm in.
Old 06-01-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I gave this 100 pages or so... And it took some effort to get that far.

Didn't work for me.
Old 06-03-09, 03:25 AM
Cool New Member

I'd give it a shot. I too love the apocalyptic stories.
Old 06-08-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm about 1/2 way though this. I find it pretty entertaining so far, and has been hard for me to put down. Definitely not a typical vampire story. These are more of a cross between vampires and zombies. I'm also a sucker for a good apocolyptic story, so this is very fun so far.
Old 06-18-09, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm almost done with the book and I've been very happy with it. Its been my favorite horror novel since World War Z. Never been crazy about romantic vampires, so I quite enjoy these not-at-all romantic ones.
Old 06-25-09, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finished this about a week ago. I really liked it and enjoyed the pseudo-science of the vampires. They are pretty nasty. Now I have to sit back and wait till next year to see how it plays out. One book a year? ugh.

I really like the rat exterminator but all the characters are fun.
Old 07-01-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I just started this today, and since it is a part of a trilogy, I am wondering if this book has a satisfying conclusion, or does it just set up part two?
Old 07-01-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
So I just started this today, and since it is a part of a trilogy, I am wondering if this book has a satisfying conclusion, or does it just set up part two?
That's what I'm wondering, too. I'm about 200 or so pages in, and am enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 07-01-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Depends on your definition of satisfying, I suppose.

It certainly ends on a darker note and sets up the second book pretty well, but I wouldn't classify it as "satisfying."

It's been a week or so since I finished it, so maybe I've forgotten something though.
Old 07-02-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it doesnt really conclude much and yes it pretty much is a setup for the next one..like most planned trilogys.
that being said ..Im really looking forward to the next one..
Old 07-04-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't that impressed with the book. It doesn't have much of a conclusion but it does set up the next one. It's too bad, because there could have been a satisfying conclusion, IMO:

Spoiler:
Just kill Sardu, and deal with the Anicients like him (that we find out about towards the end of the book) in the other books. Of course, maybe leaving him alive to square off with the others may turn out better, but it didn't feel like this book had a proper ending, IMO.

Also, I found the book pretty repetitive:

Spoiler:
since we have a number of scenes where people are looking for their loved ones only to discover they've turned and then are attacked

Overall, I'd have to agree with the aforementioned EW grade.

BTW, here are some promos for the book:

<embed width="425" height="344" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0nk136ImlM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=pt-br&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" ></embed>

<embed width="425" height="344" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OgFDxJdSpTI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=pt-br&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" ></embed>

<embed width="425" height="344" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rTwJUbAZL0c&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=pt-br&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" ></embed>
Old 07-22-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I agree with the Ew review -- it passes the time, but doesn't even stick in your head like some of Stephen King's apocalpytic tales do. There's some interesting ideas but also some really bad, cliched writing in it. Very little of Del Toro's distinctive stamp on it, but in the end I've read many better vampire novels than this one.
Old 08-03-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, good but not great. You probably won't be sorry you took the time to read it, but it's not a must.
Old 09-28-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Book two of the trilogy came out last week, and I'll probably pick it up, as I've read some positive things about it. I'll have to look up the first book in Wikipedia first to try to remind myself what happened:

Old 09-30-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought I had forgotten a lot fot he first book but they do a pretty good job filling in the blanks in the 2nd one
Old 09-30-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgot all about this... Going to pick it up this weekend. First book was slightly above average, but I hope the 2nd one will build on it.
Old 10-02-10, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First book revitalized my interest in the vampire genre which had degenerated into emo/romantic crap. I really hope the second book can stand on its own and does not fall prey to "middle book of a trilogy" syndrome, where the book is just a setup to the final act.
Old 10-14-10, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
I thought I had forgotten a lot fot he first book but they do a pretty good job filling in the blanks in the 2nd one
Agreed. I thought that there would be a good summary on wikipedia, but there wasn't. I'm not that far in yet, but it did an excellent job of summarizing what happened in the first book, without cramming it down your throat in an obvious way.
Old 10-15-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Just finished reading both books 1 and 2 in the past month. I think Book 2 flows a lot better as The Strain gets bogged down with all the survivors and what happens to them. Book 2 also has more of the Setkryian backstory which is the best part in the books for me.
Old 10-18-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ill have to admit Im a bit confused with the 2nd book..
Spoiler:
specifically with the battle between the two different classes of vampires ..
Old 10-23-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Attn New Yorkers - this coming Friday (Oct 29) Guillermo del Toro will be the guest on the one-hour Times Talk being broadcast 3 times during the day on Channel 75 (Cuny TV) on Time Warner Cable.
Old 11-29-10, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great series and great second book!

A little question for those who finished reading it

Spoiler:
Did i miss something near the end? Why in the hell were the ancients just dying? I don't remember reading about whatever the Master did to them...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.