Reload this Page >

Stephen King: Under The Dome

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King: Under The Dome

Old 11-13-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Stephen King: Under The Dome

That's awesome. Congrats! I met him once in Colorado Springs on the Insomnia tour, but it was very brief. I'd love to have the opportunity again.
Old 11-13-09, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
That's awesome. Congrats! I met him once in Colorado Springs on the Insomnia tour, but it was very brief. I'd love to have the opportunity again.
Thanks. The trip meant a five hour drive each way and an overnight stay, but for me it was worth it. If I had realized I was going to get through the line as early as I did, I might have driven home tonight.

He's only hitting a few cities on this book tour, and several of them are speaking engagements instead of actual book signings. In at least some of those cities, they are having drawings for the opportunity to buy pre-signed books. A ticket to hear him speak doesn't necessarily mean that you will get a book.
Old 11-13-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got this along with the new John Grisham novel in the mail today from Amazon. Love the $9.99 preorder prices. Even though I knew ahead of time it was a big book I was still shocked when I saw it. The Grisham book looked like a bookmark in comparison.
Old 11-13-09, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still waiting for my copy from Amazon to arrive. I've gotten things faster using the free shipping. This is one of the few time I've been disappointed in Amazon.com. Lesson learned... don't bother paying for shipping!
Old 11-14-09, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
So, I got the audiobook version for free (from audible.com). I just threw it onto my ipod (for some reason, they split it into 5 "parts")
Audible does this any time a book is longer than ~8 hours. Each file ends with an announcement that "This audio book has been split into multiple parts to make the download faster." It's also much more convenient if iTunes craps out and loses your place -- it's far easier to locate your position on a 4-8 hour file than a 35 hour one.

I'd rather read it... but for free... and this being my first audiobook, I thought I'd give it a whirl. The narration is 34 hours!
A lot of news stories called this King's longest book, pointing to the page count as evidence, but 34 hours is only moderately long for an audio book. The Stand (the original, incomplete and cut version) clocks in at 33 hours, and IT is 42. (I've seen a few audio books top even that -- Atlas Shrugged, The Mists of Avalon, Les Miserables, War and Peace, and at least one volume in Shelby Foote's The Civil War exceed 50 hours.)
Old 11-15-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Just finished it....looking forward to discussing it when others are done.
Old 11-15-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Hit the 100 page mark. Really enjoying it. One big problem i have with the story
Spoiler:
The town and the world think it's a terrorist attack??? Did King just add that in to be topical or something? What would be the point of a terrorist placing a dome over a town? They would've massacred everyone within the first hour if it was a terror attack.
Old 11-15-09, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
I still can't believe it, but Stephen King signed my copy of Under The Dome a little over an hour ago. I never thought I would have the chance to meet him, but he's doing a book signing at a Barnes & Noble in Atlanta this evening.

The store gave out 400 confirmed reservations last week through e-mail. I think there were 100 additional standby reservations. I got a confirmed reservation, so I made a five hour drive this morning. I was ninth in line. They were moving people through the line pretty fast, but King was friendly and talked while he was signing.
Hey, my wife and I were there too! We were 16th and 17th in line, so I'm sure that I saw you. Below are some photos. It was a little hard to get a clean picture of Stephen because no cameras were allowed beyond a certain point. Therefore, you could not take a photo of him while he signed your book...

Old 11-16-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's a great signature. Too many authors just scribble.
Old 11-16-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by packaok
Hey, my wife and I were there too! We were 16th and 17th in line, so I'm sure that I saw you. Below are some photos. It was a little hard to get a clean picture of Stephen because no cameras were allowed beyond a certain point. Therefore, you could not take a photo of him while he signed your book...

That's interesting - for the Limited Edition ones he didn't sign that particular page, but the blank on before it (if my memory serves).
Old 11-16-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Curious, how come the book on the right has a darker font for the title? Was that limited edition or something?
Old 11-16-09, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
That's interesting - for the Limited Edition ones he didn't sign that particular page, but the blank on before it (if my memory serves).
You are correct! On the Signature Limited Editions, he signed the blank page before the title page. Personally, I would much rather that he sign the title page... That way, at a glance, you can tell which book you are looking at.

Of course, the Non-Signature Limited Editions were available at B&N and he was signing those as well on the title page.
Old 11-16-09, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Curious, how come the book on the right has a darker font for the title? Was that limited edition or something?
From what I've read on the topic, I don't believe that one is more rare than the other. They probably did that to get collectors to purchase 2 copies... Personally, I like the white one better, but since I was getting 2 copies signed, I decided to go for one of each.

Last edited by packaok; 11-16-09 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-16-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

I've got about 200 pages left to go. Curious if anyone else noticed something in a scene that takes place somewhere around pages 600 - 650.
Spoiler:
When Rusty goes up and gets a look at the generator they believe to be responsible for the dome, the symbol on it is the same one on the door to Pennywise's lair in It. I'm really curious to see if that has some meaning or if it was just a wink to the Constant Reader.

Last edited by maxfisher; 11-18-09 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-16-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct! On the Signature Limited Editions, he signed the blank page before the title page. Personally, I would much rather that he sign the title page... That way, at a glance, you can tell which book you are looking at.

Of course, the Non-Signature Limited Editions were available at B&N and he was signing those as well on the title page.
maybe for ease of collectors knowing which version they bought then? But, the price stamp word free dust jacket shows $200, i'm assuming the Limited edition you get elsewhere shows $75 or whatever right?
Old 11-16-09, 05:58 PM

I'm sure I probably saw you also. There was a guy in a blue shirt and a woman with red hair. Were you right behind them?

I tried to get a picture of King, but I never did get a clear shot from behind the line.
Old 11-16-09, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
I'm sure I probably saw you also. There was a guy in a blue shirt and a woman with red hair. Were you right behind them?

I tried to get a picture of King, but I never did get a clear shot from behind the line.
If the guy in question was very tall and the red haired woman was very short with tattoos, then the answer is yes. We were right behind them...
Old 11-16-09, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
maybe for ease of collectors knowing which version they bought then? But, the price stamp word free dust jacket shows $200, i'm assuming the Limited edition you get elsewhere shows $75 or whatever right?
I believe you are correct, although I don't own either of the Limited Editions myself... I have only seen pics of the signature page online.
Old 11-18-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm loving this book, but am only about 250 pages in. Wish I could stay home and just keeping reading.

Also, does Big Jim make anybody else think of J.W. Pepper from Live and Let Die?
Old 11-18-09, 09:46 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Stephen King will be in MSP/St. Paul tonight discussing Under the Dome. Tickets sold out w/in minutes (didn't get one). However, I think I am going to head down to the venue and see if I can somehow get an autograph regardless. Will definitely bring my copy of Under the Dome and perhaps a DVD of Creepshow 2.
Old 11-18-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm about half way through and I can't put it down. Love the classic King deep characterization and back-story. I might have to re-read Needful Things next. Last time I read it was when the paperback was originally released.
Old 11-18-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Just finished the last 30 pages of this on my lunch break. I think King did a pretty good job at wrapping everything up, though I can see the end feeling a little anti-climatic to some. King continues to be a master of writing people, though I'd say this is about as dark of a take on human nature as he's put into any of his work. As for my question above...

Spoiler:
I'm still curious if King threw in the symbol as a little 'easter egg' to his readers or if there's supposed to be some implication that Pennywise came from the same place where the leather-faced children reside. If I recall correctly, Pennywise never really had a physical body. He just kind of took the shape of whatever people most feared. Perhaps he was an adult of one of the leather-faced people and was banished to earth for some reason.

Anyway, the driving focus of the book seemed to be how much we enjoy inflicting pain and exerting power over others. The fact that Rennie was able to enable as much cruelty as he did in under a week was stretching the limits of my suspension of disbelief, but King sure did make you hate the bastard, along with all those he pulled into his service.

While a solid and entertaining read, I don't think this was even close to the epic-ness of The Stand, It or The Gunslinger. That's not a criticism, but just an observation that the tale was a bit different than I thought it would be based on the buzz.
Old 11-18-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

thats very cool, though it would suck holding that book for hours while waiting in line, Seen the book today in the bookstore and its thick.
Old 11-19-09, 12:01 PM

Spoiler:
I am around page 400 and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what happens to the guys who gangraped sammy, I HATED that part and want to know if they get what they deserve.
Old 11-19-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

^Just keep reading

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.