Reload this Page >

Stephen King: Under The Dome

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King: Under The Dome

Old 11-10-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Stephen King: Under The Dome

This thing is a behemoth!!! I'm on page 117 after reading it for a couple hours, I'm really enjoying it so far.
Old 11-10-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance someone can give me a spoiler about what happens at the end? I am so busy and with my slow reading ability. It would take 5yrs to read it. LOL

Thanks!
Old 11-11-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TOLEN
Any chance someone can give me a spoiler about what happens at the end? I am so busy and with my slow reading ability. It would take 5yrs to read it. LOL

Thanks!
Spoiler:
Barbie throws the bomb through the top of the dome, shattering the whole thing. Luckily none of the falling glass kills anyone except ol' Doc Haskell.
Old 11-11-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Spoiler:
Barbie throws the bomb through the top of the dome, shattering the whole thing. Luckily none of the falling glass kills anyone except ol' Doc Haskell.

Was...
Spoiler:
Homer on a motorcyle?
Old 11-11-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about 180 pages in, and I'm really bugged by the Internet thing --

Spoiler:
The Dome severed all the utility lines into town, but people are still watching CNN and surfing the web. I can believe that Chester Mills is far enough in the boonies that they have to use DirecTV instead of cable, but how are they getting online? Seems unlikely the town would have wireless broadband. Is satellite Internet popular in Maine?
Old 11-11-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about 180 pages in, and I'm really bugged by the Internet thing --

Spoiler:
The Dome severed all the utility lines into town, but people are still watching CNN and surfing the web. I can believe that Chester Mills is far enough in the boonies that they have to use DirecTV instead of cable, but how are they getting online? Seems unlikely the town would have wireless broadband. Is satellite Internet popular in Maine?
Do tell.......does this book read like King-80's or King-00's? I mean, aside from the grievance you stated, how's the overall story? Like Cell and From A Buick 8, or like Pet Sematary?
Old 11-11-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TOLEN

Thanks!
Are you serious? What's fun about that?
Old 11-11-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAA
What was the in-store price?
Sorry, I should have been clear. I got it from Wal-Mart.com for $9.
Old 11-11-09, 05:22 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

I am about 100 pages in and am enjoying it so far.

I do have a question for anyone who is further along than I am. Is there an explanation why they don't just dig a hole and go under the dome to get out?
Old 11-11-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Do tell.......does this book read like King-80's or King-00's? I mean, aside from the grievance you stated, how's the overall story? Like Cell and From A Buick 8, or like Pet Sematary?
I think the best comparison is to Needful Things -- large cast, small town, many conflicts, and there will be blood -- but a bit darker and more serious. The main human antagonist even resembles a more competent "Buster" Keaton.
Old 11-11-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matto1020
I am about 100 pages in and am enjoying it so far.

I do have a question for anyone who is further along than I am. Is there an explanation why they don't just dig a hole and go under the dome to get out?
Read another 50 pages and you'll get an answer.
Old 11-11-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

About 250 pages in....man this is gonna set a record for how fast I've ever read a book this big.
Old 11-11-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the best comparison is to Needful Things -- large cast, small town, many conflicts, and there will be blood -- but a bit darker and more serious. The main human antagonist even resembles a more competent "Buster" Keaton.

I loved Needful Things so I can't wait to start this. My $9 copy from Amazon was delivered today but I'm stuck at work at the moment. I feel a bit nostalgic about a new huge book from Stephen King.
Old 11-11-09, 11:46 PM
Banned

Just an FYI. Dark Tower film is no more (from Lost creators) but King will write another book in the series. DT8!
Old 11-12-09, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/ :

Stephen has announced that he has an idea for a new Dark Tower book, the working title of which will be THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. He has not yet started this book and anticipates that it will be a minimum of eight months before he is able to begin writing it.
and from http://www.examiner.com/x-10951-Birm...wer-on-the-way :

the novelist stated the new book would take place between events in Wizard and Glass, the fourth Dark Tower book, and its follow-up Wolves of the Calla, and that it would center around supporting characters in the series.
So not really a continuation in this is what happens after book 7, but some more tales from that universe.
Old 11-12-09, 11:08 AM

wow the price went up to 17.50 good thing i pre-ordered it.
Old 11-12-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drop
From http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/ :

and from http://www.examiner.com/x-10951-Birm...wer-on-the-way :

So not really a continuation in this is what happens after book 7, but some more tales from that universe.
Old 11-12-09, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Without spoiling anything, can anybody who's finished the book just answer this question:

- By the end of the book is there some sort of explanation as to how and why the dome is there?
Old 11-12-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers
Without spoiling anything, can anybody who's finished the book just answer this question:

- By the end of the book is there some sort of explanation as to how and why the dome is there?
one of two possible explanations (and I haven't read the book):

a) Supernatural
b) Aliens

and a possible third (although very unlikely):
c) we are exhibits, encaptured in a "fish bowl" to prevent escaping. Encaptured by whom, you ask? Why, by Giants! Of course.
Old 11-13-09, 06:53 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers

Wouldn't you think there would be some sort of answer? I mean why wouldn't there be? Sheeesh, spoilers are exactly what we're going to get from questions like yours.
Old 11-13-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

What a depressing turn this thread has taken. "How does it end?" Come on, guys!
Old 11-13-09, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not my intention to spoil the ending at all. I didn't ask for anybody to explain the how and why, simply to say yes or no. If other people abuse this and post spoilers, I don't see how that's my fault. I think my request was competently worded.

My only concern as I'm reading the book is that he may not explain how the dome was created and why. Either way is fine by me, but I'm not the fastest reader on the planet, so I'm going to be investing a lot of time into reading this book, and if I get to the end of the book and there's no explanation and it's left a complete mystery, I'm going to be extremely pissed and feel like I've been cock-teased for 1000 pages. If I know ahead of time to not expect an explanation then I can just enjoy the book for what it is without expecting something that will never come. I remember a bunch of people complaining about Cell for similar reasons. Also, for JAA, if you think it's safe to assume that King will explain something in a book, you must not read much King.

Some people may not feel this way, but that's the way my brain works and I didn't really expect to be harassed for asking a simple yes/no question. I've never really had problems in the past with posts on this site and I'm really surprised by these responses.

I've read every piece of published fiction that King has ever published and will continue read the book, but I just thought a simple yes/no answer would not cause this problem. I guess I was wrong and I'll just have to check somewhere else that doesn't overreact.
Old 11-13-09, 04:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

So, I got the audiobook version for free (from audible.com). I just threw it onto my ipod (for some reason, they split it into 5 "parts"), and am going to make this the only thing I listen to when going to/from work.

edit: I'd rather read it... but for free... and this being my first audiobook, I thought I'd give it a whirl. The narration is 34 hours!

I haven't read every page of this thread... but the premise of the book reminds me of The Simpsons Movie.
Old 11-13-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't even wanna read any of the replies since I start to and it seems like people are talking about spoiling it or think about not reading it to just find out what happens at the end? WTF. Read it or wait for an audio book.
Old 11-13-09, 07:25 PM

I still can't believe it, but Stephen King signed my copy of Under The Dome a little over an hour ago. I never thought I would have the chance to meet him, but he's doing a book signing at a Barnes & Noble in Atlanta this evening.

The store gave out 400 confirmed reservations last week through e-mail. I think there were 100 additional standby reservations. I got a confirmed reservation, so I made a five hour drive this morning. I was ninth in line. They were moving people through the line pretty fast, but King was friendly and talked while he was signing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.