Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King: Under The Dome

Old 01-23-11, 10:03 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Stephen King: Under The Dome

Originally Posted by brainee
. . . Like King's best, it isn't so much the idea that's key (the whole "mysterious force cuts a town off from the rest of the world" has been done many times). It's how well King brings the characters to life, and makes you care about what happens to them. . .
A perfect summary of my decades-long love affair with his writing.
Old 01-23-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I read about the first third and put it down. I have always been most fond of King's novels that feature a large cast of characters as his real gift has always been characterization, but there were just way too many caricatures of humanity in major roles in this one.
Old 01-28-11, 02:00 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished it a couple of hours ago. Easily the longest book I've ever read. But I'm glad I saw it at a store last month and decided to give it a chance, because I'd never heard of it before that. It's really good, and one of the best books I've ever read. It grabbed me from start to finish, although I was a little put off by the ending.
Old 01-28-11, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Finished this yesterday. First book I read on the Kindle. Also probably the fastest I've ever read any book (about 10 days). I couldn't put it down. Unlike some of King's books that take forever to get started, in this one the Dome dropped on page 2 and the story never let up all the way through.

I didn't mind the ending at all. it made complete sense in the context of the story, unlike, say, the ending of the Dark Tower series, which was awful.
Old 02-13-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 799 Likes on 589 Posts

I just finished this last night. My mom bought it for me for Christmas and I wanted to read it before the tv series starts in June. I thought it would take me awhile to read it, but I knocked it out in less than 3 weeks. This was the longest book I have ever read and the first full length King book I have read (I read his Shawshank Redemption short story, but nothing else).

I really liked the characters and the journey the book took me on. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending, but I loved everything that led up to it. I became emotionally involved with some of the characters. Some of the deaths at the end of the book got to me. I thought Rennie was a great villain and I'm looking forward to seeing who they cast to play him on the series.
Old 02-15-13, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

It's been over a year since I read this and yeah, the ending was a big letdown... but that's kinda King's thing (and he makes no bones about it). The character development was great; you'd get invested into a character and next chapter - BOOM - dead
I hope the mini-series can do something with the ending that isn't as disappointing as The Stand was back in the day.
Old 02-15-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this book 2 Christmas' ago and just started to read it in the last week. A little under halfway through, but I have to admit I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I read a lot of Stephen King growing up, and drifted away from his type of books, but this is a great read so far.
Old 02-15-13, 11:16 AM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

This has sat on my shelf since it came out. Just haven't been all that motivated to crack it open. With the TV series coming out this summer, I suppose I better get on that. Good to hear the the reviews are generally positive.
Old 02-16-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I read this and 11/22/63 after getting them during Amazon's kindle sale last month. I enjoyed them both, even the endings.
Old 05-11-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I finished this last night, well in time for the TV adaptation. I really enjoyed it, though I'm mixed about the ending. Usually I'm not a fan of ambiguity, but it might have been better if the dome just disappeared as mysteriously as it arrived.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I've hated a villain as much as I hated Big Jim Rennie. So kudos to you, Mr. King.