Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A new Haruki Murakami book [updated for 2011]

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A new Haruki Murakami book [updated for 2011]

In 1982, having sold his jazz bar to devote himself to writing, Murakami began running to keep fit. A year later, he’d completed a solo course from Athens to Marathon, and now, after dozens of such races, not to mention triathlons and a dozen critically acclaimed books, he reflects upon the influence the sport has had on his life and—even more important—on his writing.

Equal parts training log, travelogue, and reminiscence, this revealing memoir covers his four-month preparation for the 2005 New York City Marathon and takes us to places ranging from Tokyo’s Jingu Gaien gardens, where he once shared the course with an Olympian, to the Charles River in Boston among young women who outpace him. Through this marvelous lens of sport emerges a panorama of memories and insights: the eureka moment when he decided to become a writer, his greatest triumphs and disappointments, his passion for vintage LPs, and the experience, after fifty, of seeing his race times improve and then fall back.

By turns funny and sobering, playful and philosophical, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is rich and revelatory, both for fans of this masterful yet guardedly private writer and for the exploding population of athletes who find similar satisfaction in distance running.
Old 07-29-08, 04:06 PM

I may have to pick this up. I've read all his novels. Not a fan of running though.
Old 07-29-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not a runner, either, but am a very big fan of his novels. It's a pretty small book - definitely not something I'd be compelled to buy - so I'll probably go through it on my lunch breaks at work this week.
Old 07-30-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The New Yorker ran an excerpt from this, and it was mildly interesting, but not nearly the quality of his fiction. The excerpt may be all I need to read from this.
Old 07-31-08, 11:59 AM

As a big fan of his and a runner as well, I can't wait to take a look at this.
Old 10-17-11, 08:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1q84

It seems to be included among October's Best Books of the Month on Amazon.com

In the UK, as was the case in Japan when first published, Books 1 & 2 comprise the first volume, with Book 3 coming along a little later. From the pagecount, I'm assuming that the same will be happening Stateside.
Old 10-17-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: A new Haruki Murakami book [updated for 2011]

Looks good. Picked up a copy for my wife who is a fan.
Old 12-05-11, 10:20 AM

Re: A new Haruki Murakami book [updated for 2011]

Not a fan of running but definitely a fan of Murakami. I've seen both books in the bookstores but never had time to stop and grab them