Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You got both? Sheesh. Willing to part with your Nook? If so, PM me a price.
I was thinking about just selilng the Nook, but so far the Kindle isn't really blowing me away like I hoped it would. My main complaint that is just driving me crazy so far is that lack of page numbers on the Kindle. It really irks me not knowing what page of a book I am on. The Nook has the page numbers which alone may have me keeping the Nook (although I still haven't opened it yet). So that, combined with it being so much nicer looking than the kindle are big pluses. I played with one at B&N yesterday & it is slower than the Kindle. But updates from what I'm told are suppose to take care of this. I also really like having the Keyboard only displayed when you need it, & I found it quite accurate (at least the one I played with). The keyboard annoys me on the Kindle, altough I may just get use to it.

Also, my Kindle has already locked up on me once downloading a book, it just froze. Then the book downloaded 20 minutes later. That was annoying.
Old 12-27-09, 03:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't expect wonders out of Nook, either. Apparently on Christmas B&N's servers got hit so hard with download requests that it took up to 24 hours for books to download.

That being said, if you opt to not keep the Nook, let me know.
Old 12-27-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Don't expect wonders out of Nook, either. Apparently on Christmas B&N's servers got hit so hard with download requests that it took up to 24 hours for books to download.

That being said, if you opt to not keep the Nook, let me know.
I'm not expecting wonders, its why I didn't open it yet & went with the Kindle. But they can always fix server problems. The page number thing alone may make the Nook more worthwhile to me though. I didn't realize until I started using the Kingle how much it bothers me.

Sorry though, if I sell it I will be doing so on ebay. Its sells for easily for over $300 right now. But the girl got it for me, she wouldn't like it if I sold it.
Old 12-27-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How do page numbers work on Nook?

I have looked at PDFs on the Kindle and they have page numbers. And I hate how that is. It just cuts a page at whatever it can display, so usually a page is more than one screen. That annoys me.

Is it like that or do they just generate a number of pages based on how many screens it'll be?

The percentage bar seems good enough for me. Page count tends to matter to me if only for how far along I'm in anyway. Don't have to worry about losing my spot any more. l just have to get used to the location numbers, which is happening quicker than I thought.

Really liking my Kindle. E-readers are just fantastic. The comfort level alone is worth the price. And there is something very compelling about the look of e-ink. I like being able to access the internet for more content, too. Got the feedbooks and mobileread documents so I can access all their eBoooks. They really do smoke Gutenberg. It's also cool that their books have links to the authors other works as well as recommendations. Manybooks.net is another great site.
Old 12-27-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
Really liking my Kindle. E-readers are just fantastic. The comfort level alone is worth the price.
It seems like my posts are all complaints, but don't get me wrong. I'm loving finally having an eReader, if anything I wish I didn't wait this long. I agree the comfort is great, but where this thing just rules for me is having it on the go & travelling. I'm on the train a lot, so I just love having this little gadget where I now have this huge variety to choose from to read. The cover I got with it is nice looking & keeps it nice & snug.

And there is something very compelling about the look of e-ink
There really is, that shit is freaky. I'm convinced digital ink is some form of witchcraft.
Old 12-27-09, 04:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
But the girl got it for me, she wouldn't like it if I sold it.
Right, which is why you're gifting it to a friend in need, who is paying a small charge for your trouble.

Seriously, though, it's not a big deal. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-27-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm not expecting wonders, its why I didn't open it yet & went with the Kindle. But they can always fix server problems. The page number thing alone may make the Nook more worthwhile to me though. I didn't realize until I started using the Kingle how much it bothers me.
I have a Kindle and this also annoys me. Are there any kind of mods you can download to the Kindle to turn locations into page numbers?
Old 12-27-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What exactly is the issue with the page numbers? I didn't realize there was any kind of issues with it.
Old 12-27-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
What exactly is the issue with the page numbers? I didn't realize there was any kind of issues with it.
The issue is that there aren't any on the Kindle. This probably doesn't bother most people, but it bother me.
Old 12-27-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The issue is that there aren't any on the Kindle. This probably doesn't bother most people, but it bother me.
It bothers me as well, i know it's stupid but it bugs me not knowing how many pages I've read and how many I have to go.
Old 12-27-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

How are page numbers any different than location numbers? They both serve the same purpose - to let you know how far in the book you are. However, page numbers would change and have to be recalculated every time the font size changed whereas location numbers are absolute.

How would you propose someone 'mod' the kindle to provide page numbers? If the purpose is to be able to reference a paper copy (for a class for instance), whose edition should be the reference?

Michael
Old 12-27-09, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a Kindle as well for Christmas. I knew it was coming, so I've been stockpiling books to download from Amazon. I got Amazon GCs from my aunts, and I've burned through them all already downloading 16 books. My husband and I are going to his parents' cabin for 5 days over New Years, and I can't wait to have all that time to dig into those. I also got the Amazon cover, a Decalgirl skin (this one: http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/33585 ), and two clip on lights, so I'm set. I love it so far. MUCH happier with it after I added that skin. After hearing about all the problems with the Nook, I'm so glad I chose the Kindle.
Old 12-28-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fiver
How would you propose someone 'mod' the kindle to provide page numbers?
Like I said before, PDFs on Kindle do go by page numbers, but because of how they are formated pages usually take more than one screen to view. I can see someone preferring that method, but if it strictly is down to progress I have no problem with the location/percentage display the Kindle has. It's just different, not better or worse.

The other solution would be a variable page count, which seems worse, but I guess someone would like it.

There should be an option I guess.
Old 12-29-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Family only got me the Kindle, Nook was from the girlfriend.
One from the wife and one from the girlfriend?