Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by drmoze
Sorry, AFAIK you'll need a Sony Reader to take advantage of free online borrowing from electronic libraries. I don't think the Kindle handles the formats required (secure Adobe or Mobipocket). So, no trips to the library with the Kindle, but no access to online libraries either! :P
Is this because the Kindle doesn't support PDF Digital Edition books? I imagine this was a definite design choice. Amazon produced the books so people would buy books, not check them out at a library.
Old 03-30-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jack999
Is this because the Kindle doesn't support PDF Digital Edition books? I imagine this was a definite design choice. Amazon produced the books so people would buy books, not check them out at a library.
I guess so... maybe the whole library thing might not make it to the Kindle. Since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you can checkout the library books virtually anywhere. Where the Sony eReader needs a computer to do that.

As to Kindle don't do PDFs, it's true, but you can convert the PDFs to PRC which can be read in the Kindle. However, i don't know if you can do that with the library's PDFs. Even if you can, it must be some reference or old stuff, which you can probably get them free anyway. I don't think you can check out ebooks from the New York Times bestsellers... With the limited physical books, you certainly have to wait for your turn. But with the ebook thingy, i don't know how will that play out... If it's true, you don't need to buy the hot sellers anymore Because with the Kindle, you can check out virtually anywhere and almost anytime (as long as the library's server is working?).
Old 03-31-09, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
I guess so... maybe the whole library thing might not make it to the Kindle. Since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you can checkout the library books virtually anywhere. Where the Sony eReader needs a computer to do that.

As to Kindle don't do PDFs, it's true, but you can convert the PDFs to PRC which can be read in the Kindle. However, i don't know if you can do that with the library's PDFs. Even if you can, it must be some reference or old stuff, which you can probably get them free anyway. I don't think you can check out ebooks from the New York Times bestsellers... With the limited physical books, you certainly have to wait for your turn. But with the ebook thingy, i don't know how will that play out... If it's true, you don't need to buy the hot sellers anymore Because with the Kindle, you can check out virtually anywhere and almost anytime (as long as the library's server is working?).
I'm sorry, but what I got from your reply was yes you can read checked out library books on the Kindle and then no, you can't. Can you clarify?
Old 03-31-09, 11:59 AM

I'm sorry, but what I got from your reply was yes you can read checked out library books on the Kindle and then no, you can't. Can you clarify?
It's more of a "maybe." It depends on the format your library uses for the electronic books, and how much effort you want to put into getting those books on your Kindle. I think the New York Library system uses a compatible format, for example.

If you really want to put library books on your Kindle, there are instructions, probably at Mobile Read but if not, you should be able to find them through Google.

Personally, I've found that I'm willing to just pay for the ease of buying books from the Kindle store, and the knowledge that they will "just work" when I'm ready to read them.
Old 03-31-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drmoze
Sorry, AFAIK you'll need a Sony Reader to take advantage of free online borrowing from electronic libraries. I don't think the Kindle handles the formats required (secure Adobe or Mobipocket). So, no trips to the library with the Kindle, but no access to online libraries either! :P
Anyone know if there is a list of Canadian libraries that has online borrowing from electronic libraries? I'd love to try it out.
Old 03-31-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I think Ocelot meant to write "since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you could checkout the library books virtually anywhere." He wasn't saying you can do it now, but it's possible.

Libraries use mostly MOBI and PDF formats, but they use the DRM-ed protected versions of those formats. Kindle currently doesn't support any DRM format except Amazon's own AMZ, so most library "rentals" will not work.
Old 04-01-09, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I think Ocelot meant to write "since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you could checkout the library books virtually anywhere." He wasn't saying you can do it now, but it's possible.

Libraries use mostly MOBI and PDF formats, but they use the DRM-ed protected versions of those formats. Kindle currently doesn't support any DRM format except Amazon's own AMZ, so most library "rentals" will not work.
This is like buying an espresso machine at Starbucks only to find it will only work with Starbucks coffee. I avoid situations like that.
Old 04-02-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes, could, not CAN, thanks for the fix Jay G. Wishful thinking on my part...
Old 04-02-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You can read them, but you need the PID for your Kindle, which you can get with a python script. Instructions used to be found on mobileread, but for now Amazon lamely made them take them down (right after the IPhone ap became available, so it's probably related to that).
Old 04-02-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is like buying an espresso machine at Starbucks only to find it will only work with Starbucks coffee. I avoid situations like that.
Yes, it does sound like that for the Kindle at the moment. And, actually, i have a feeling that it's gonna stay that way for the Kindle. I mean, if the Kindle allows you checking out public library books, it's a revenue killer... Just imagine you can just checkout the popular new releases via Whispernet, that defeat the purpose of having the Kindle library for sale. Now, what i want to see is, can we perhaps rent the Kindle library books? It's like the espresso machine that you bought at Starbucks. It still only works at Starbucks, but you only pay a fraction of the cost for a cup of espresso, the difference is that if you don't drink it in a given period of time, it automatically empties itself

p.s. if you keep renewing the rental and the total fee is greater than the book's price, you get to keep it for a small fee. Sounds pretty interesting yes?

Last edited by Ocelot; 04-02-09 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, it does sound like that for the Kindle at the moment. And, actually, i have a feeling that it's gonna stay that way for the Kindle. I mean, if the Kindle allows you checking out public library books, it's a revenue killer... Just imagine you can just checkout the popular new releases via Whispernet, that defeat the purpose of having the Kindle library for sale. Now, what i want to see is, can we perhaps rent the Kindle library books? It's like the espresso machine that you bought at Starbucks. It still only works at Starbucks, but you only pay a fraction of the cost for a cup of espresso, the difference is that if you don't drink it in a given period of time, it automatically empties itself
If they ever want to be more than a nitch, I think they'll have to get over that. It's dumb anyway, I have about 10 library books on my Kindle, and I've bought about 15 books since I got it, so they're still getting their money from me. Also, the library has to buy each copy of the book they check out, I've had to put a hold on an ebook because the library only had 3 copies and 7 people wanted it (and since Amazon owns Mobi, they're getting money for all those library copies, and the more they "circulate", the more copies libraries are going to purchase, so more money for Amazon).
Old 04-03-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Learning some new everyday Ginwen, thanks for the info... So, it does seem that Amazon could profit from the public library angle! As of now, i only paid $4 on one Kindle book. Manga and backlogs are keeping me busy I refuse to pay anything over $5... After all, you can't really share, sell or even donate (as in donate to the library). By the time i catch up my readings, i think there will be some interesting new developments.
Old 04-04-09, 08:29 AM

LAs of now, i only paid $4 on one Kindle book. Manga and backlogs are keeping me busy I refuse to pay anything over $5...
I thought all the Kindle books were at least 9 bucks?
Old 04-04-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought all the Kindle books were at least 9 bucks?
Nope. A lot of newly released books are 9.99, and a few are a bit more. But most are less. Most of mine that aren't free have been around $4 - $7.
Old 04-15-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got my Kindle a week and a half ago and love it. I'm half-way through my second book on it and can't see myself going back to regular books. It's nice not having to carry a 600 page book around anymore.
Old 04-20-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Amazon's Kindle blog:

You've been asking, and we're enormously pleased to announce that J.R.R. Tolkien is now available on Kindle. You can now download The Children of Hurin, The Fellowship of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Return of the King, and The Two Towers.

We'd blog more about this, but let's face it, you just want the Tolkien. Happy hobbiting.

Old 04-26-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Did a quick skim through this thread, and didn't see anything conclusive, what's the best bookreader for an iPod, non-touch, non phone model. Just something for old public domain stuff (Jules Verne, HG Wells, etc)?

thanks
Old 04-26-09, 11:18 AM

Stanza. It's a great little app and there's a ton of free stuff available.
Old 04-26-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I read the intro of See No Evil on my iPhone with the kindle. It was better than I expected. I would not mind having a full size kindle but the small screen was not bad.
Old 04-26-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Crizzar
Looks like it's for the iPhone and iPod touch. I only have a 3rd Gen nano.
Old 04-26-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crizzar
It also supports the ereader.com and fictionwise.com store. Since they were bought out by Barnes and Noble they have had several big releases including the Lord of the Rings books.
Old 04-27-09, 11:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently Amazon just bought the company that created the Stanza app.

http://www.lexcycle.com/lexcycle_acquired_by_amazon
Old 04-28-09, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by pelenor
Apparently Amazon just bought the company that created the Stanza app.

http://www.lexcycle.com/lexcycle_acquired_by_amazon
Damn! I was hoping Apple would gobble them up and offer e-books via itunes. There goes any hopes of standardized pricing for e-books...
Old 04-28-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

BTW you CAN use your library's DRM mobi books on the Kindle without stripping the DRM. Search "Kindlefix python."
Old 04-30-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting... the Python can be handy, thanks for the info GatorDeb.

For the time being, Alchemist is free for the Kindle, so get it while it's hot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.