Reload this Page >

Author similar to Laurell K. Hamilton?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 12-03-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read both her books invilving the faerie courts and i just recently started her Anita Blake series and i'm loving them. So, any other authors or series similar to this?

On a similar note i'm looking for books that involve the faerie courts. I've picked up what books from the White Wolf World of darkness series that i've found but i'm wanting something new.

Any ideas? Faerie, werewolf, and vampire stories?
Old 12-03-03, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlaine Harris has a series called The Southern Vampire series, which is sort of in the same vein as the Anita Blake books, but lighter. Her latest is Club Dead, which in my opinion is the best so far and has shapeshifters and werewolves in it.
Old 12-04-03, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Try Nancy A. Collins' Sonja Blue books. There is an omnibus volume of the first three available, called the "Midnight Blue: Sonja Blue Collection." The three books contained in it are "Sunglasses After Dark," "In the Blood," and "Paint it Black." The first two novels were also available as mass market paperbacks. If the omnibus is out of print, try used book stores.

She also wrote another novel, "Wild Blood," that deals with werewolves and is set in the same "universe," but it isn't quite as good. This one is long out of print, and might be difficult to find. Again, try used book stores.

And you also might want to look into "Minion," by L. A. Banks. I haven't read the book myself, by it is frequently compared to Anita Blake and Buffy.
Old 12-04-03, 09:31 AM

You definitely need to try Jim Butcher's books about a modern wizard in Chicago. The first book (an important one for backstory purposes, so I wouldn't suggest skipping it) doesn't have faeries, vampires, or werewolves, but the sequels do the three following books I've read (there's a new one I haven't) each in fact focussing on werewolves, vampires, and then faeries in turn.

The first book is called Storm Front. The sequels are Fool Moon, Grave Peril, Summer Knight, and the new one is Death Masks.

There's a bit of a hardboiled detective feel to the stories, in that the main character, Harry Dresden, is generally on the down-and-out.

For faeries, you should also track down War for the Oaks by Emma Bull, and for a more action-oriented style of story, Jack of Kinrowan, a two-book omnibus by Charles de Lint.
Old 12-06-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have to second

Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Series.
Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Series.

If you can get your hands on any of the Charles L Grant's Black Oak series, they are definitely a good read.

Also Tanya Huff's series are all pretty good, though her Blood series starts strong and ends kind of weak.

Wen Spencer also writes a good series.

Minion was good, at least what I got to read of it. I had to return it to the library before I got to finish it.
Old 12-06-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I have Stormfront on hold for me at a bookstore so i'll pick it up in a day or two. The Emma Bull book also sounds interesting but noone around here carries it so i'll have to order it eventually. The Charlaine Harris series i'm curious about because i read one of her mysteries and didn't really like it much and that kind of scared me away from the vampire series. Has anyone read both to let me know if they are or are not similar?
Old 01-23-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Chris Camfield
For faeries, you should also track down War for the Oaks by Emma Bull, and for a more action-oriented style of story, Jack of Kinrowan, a two-book omnibus by Charles de Lint.
I just finished reading War for the Oaks based on your recommendation and absolutely loved it. Were there any sequels to it or did she do anything else in the same vein?

Next I'll be starting on Stormfront based on the recommendations here.
Old 02-02-04, 12:10 AM

Glad to hear you liked it!

I don't think Emma wrote any sequels to War for the Oaks. (Here's where http://www.isfdb.org/ comes in handy.) She did however write "Finder" which was a book set in the "Borderlands" shared setting, in which elves, magic (etc) return to the present-day. I think she wrote short stories in the anthology volumes too.

http://www.endicott-studio.com/borderland.html\

However I think I would recommend de Lint or Butcher over those stories.
Old 02-04-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 331 Likes on 216 Posts
You could try Maggie Shayne, though her stories are romances, so less erotic than Hamilton's. I liked her fairy ones the best, her witch series a little less, and didn't care for her vampire series. They'd be really cheap at used bookstores.

tasha
Old 10-18-07, 11:59 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I would have to second

Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Series.
Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Series.
My niece turns 17 next week and this morning asked me to look out for some 10-part vampire series that is

a) out of print (excepting volume three) and
b) seems to be for young teenagers - she has a higher reading age than that.

Anyhoo, vaguely remembering this thread, I came here for some pointers and have now just ordered one each of the above + an Anita Blake omnibus.

(Hoping my sister won't object to any adult themes in the books, which I know anyway have already been encountered in her daughter's other other reading and viewing!)
Old 10-18-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by benedict
My niece turns 17 next week and this morning asked me to look out for some 10-part vampire series that is

a) out of print (excepting volume three) and
b) seems to be for young teenagers - she has a higher reading age than that.

Anyhoo, vaguely remembering this thread, I came here for some pointers and have now just ordered one each of the above + an Anita Blake omnibus.

(Hoping my sister won't object to any adult themes in the books, which I know anyway have already been encountered in her daughter's other other reading and viewing!)
Isn't Anita Blake past book 10? Maybe it just feels that way since I am also reading her Meredith Gentry series which is as good. I can't think of any other long vampire series though at least not that is 10 parts.

I would also recommend Twilight which is part of a trilogy. I forget the name of the author though. It is Twilight, New Moon and can't think of the third one. I picked all three up as hardbacks at Sam's Club for around $30.00. It is a good read so far and definitely aimed more at her age range.
Old 10-18-07, 12:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
Isn't Anita Blake past book 10?
The series my niece was after was by someone else.

I don't recall the series or author's name now, having deleted the text after checking Amazon and finding that it was largely OOP. All I can remember was that it was for teens and one review mentioned ithaving sold 140,000 copies which didn't strike me as many for a ten-parter and may account for its unavailability.

Because I remembered the earlier Anita Blake discussion here I popped in for further inspiration.

Edit: Twilight, New Moon & Eclipse by Stepanie Meyer are the young adult books you are thinking of.

Last edited by benedict; 10-18-07 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-18-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She also might want to look into the Charles deLint books. I particularly enjoyed some of the short stories i read by him. Dreams Underfoot was great. Jack the Giant-killer was also good.
Old 10-18-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by benedict
The series my niece was after was by someone else.

I don't recall the series or author's name now, having deleted the text after checking Amazon and finding that it was largely OOP. All I can remember was that it was for teens and one review mentioned ithaving sold 140,000 copies which didn't strike me as many for a ten-parter and may account for its unavailability.

Because I remembered the earlier Anita Blake discussion here I popped in for further inspiration.

Edit: Twilight, New Moon & Eclipse by Stepanie Meyer are the young adult books you are thinking of.
Oh ok then. If you happen to think of it let me know. I am always looking for books to try to get my younger brother to read.
Old 10-20-07, 07:49 PM

I second Sonja Blue series. EXCELLENT!
Harry Dresden

and add Kim Harrison The Hollows Series or Rachel Morgan Series (I skimmed but didn't see anyone else say her, might have missed it) quite fun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollows_%28series%29
Old 11-15-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by celmendo
I second Sonja Blue series. EXCELLENT!
Harry Dresden

and add Kim Harrison The Hollows Series or Rachel Morgan Series (I skimmed but didn't see anyone else say her, might have missed it) quite fun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollows_%28series%29
Good call. That is a good series as well.

On the Laurell K. Hamilton front, I just finished the newest book in the Merry Gentry series and it was remarkably good. I've been impressed that she has pulled the story a little bit away from the soft-core and actually progressed the storyline a good bit. This newest book had a pretty good "twist."
Old 11-15-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I kind of felt the same way about the latest Anita Blake book as well. Felt like she pulled back from the sexcapades a bit. It was nice.