Reload this Page >

Please help me locate the author of this story

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 12-01-06, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really hope someone can help me here. I searched google every way I know how with what I remember from this short story (that I read years ago, probably from a collection of short stories by different authors) but to no avail. I thought it was by Chekhov but now I'm doubting so.

Anyway, the story takes place I'm guessing just before the turn of the 20th century and concerns a young woman who, by arranged marriage, is to wed a man whom she decides, with tutelage from a priest? (I know he's some important religious figure to her), is a devil/evil/sinister. So, knowing she can't get out of it, she just doesn't speak to him or any of his family and friends.

We get to see the unfolding of their nuptuals, her subsequent pregnancy, and the birth, through her point of view but we can still see the events from outside of her - the contrast is what makes this story so amazing. We see a "normal" arranged marriage but also see what she believes is happening from her point of view, that Satan has sent his disciple to wed her amongst shouting laughing taunting devils (wedding guests/family), only to ultimately bear his spawn and spread evil.

In the end she finally utters a single sound, a scream as she painfully delivers what she believes to be an evil child of the devil immediately after which she dies.

I would love to know the author so I can find more of their work. Thanks for any help you can give me!

-Gunshy
Old 12-01-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
All I can think of is"The Monk" by Matthew Lewis, but I don't think that's it.

The plot sounds a little like Dennis Wheatley's "To the Devil, A Daughter" which was adapted into a Hammer Horror film with Chris Lee, Richard Widmark, Denholm Elliot, and Nastassja Kinski. I haven't read the novel since Wheatley's novels are almost impossible to find, and I know that Wheatley hated the final movie.
Old 12-02-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josh,

I checked that out via google and IMDB. I agree, doesn't seem to be quite the same story. I don't think the one I read was quite novel length, possibly long enough to be a novella but most likely a short story. Man this is frustrating...

-Gunshy