Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru books]

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-16, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru bo

Anyone planning on going to the Con of Thrones next year?
Old 08-24-16, 02:29 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A song of ice and fire [potential spoilers if watching tv show or partway thru bo

Originally Posted by silentbob007
Anyone planning on going to the Con of Thrones next year?
yes I think so
Old 07-23-17, 01:20 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

GRRM with an update:

Winds is still, you guessed it, months away from being finished.

He's apparently been so busy working on just the WoW that his book on the history of the Targaryen kings has become so big that it will be split into two volumes with volume I possibly out in 2018.
Old 08-12-17, 06:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
GRRM with an update:

Winds is still, you guessed it, months away from being finished.

He's apparently been so busy working on just the WoW that his book on the history of the Targaryen kings has become so big that it will be split into two volumes with volume I possibly out in 2018.
Volume 2 to be released in 2043
Old 08-13-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Anyone else ready for this guy to just give these duties to ghost writers who work from his outlines?
Old 08-13-17, 05:49 PM

I think he will just end up dying like Robert Jordan and then someone will finish off the series from his notes. He already shared his ending with the television show creators. Football season is starting now, so he won't get anything done for the next 5 months on the main stuff. He will work on side projects like Wild Cards or his history book. February he will say h the Winds of Winter will be ready by the end of the year 2018 and it won't.
Old 08-14-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Anyone else ready for this guy to just give these duties to ghost writers who work from his outlines?
Originally Posted by RonG617
I think he will just end up dying like Robert Jordan and then someone will finish off the series from his notes. He already shared his ending with the television show creators. Football season is starting now, so he won't get anything done for the next 5 months on the main stuff. He will work on side projects like Wild Cards or his history book. February he will say h the Winds of Winter will be ready by the end of the year 2018 and it won't.
While I wouldn't want to see this pimped out to hired hands like Tom Clancy or what Brian Herbert did with Dune, I really don't see Martin finishing out the seven book cycle. He might get Winds of Winter out in three or five years, but he's taking longer and longer between books (five betwen ASOS and AFFC, six between AFFC and ADWD, and now 6+ between ADWD and TWOW). The Red God only knows how long it would take him to complete the final book.

I would not object to having a ghost writer complete the series if Martin is unable to do so, however.

And, unless something has changed, this is all academic anyway, because Martin has said that, upon his death, all of his notes and unpublished/uncompleted manuscripts are to be destroyed.
Old 08-15-17, 05:40 PM

Well unless he burns his stuff as he is dying, I can't see his family passing up the chance to make millions off of his stuff, last wishes or not. Tolkien's family has been mining his notes for decades for some good money.
Old 08-16-17, 06:08 PM

Just got an email about a forthcoming anthology called Book of Swords which contains a new GOT story. So I guess he side tracked himself again on another project before finishing Winds.
Old 02-24-18, 01:41 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

So reading today that GRRM has gone from 100% working on WoW to now he has part one of a two part history of the Targaryens that will be released this year. He says it will be out before WoW which doesn’t sound like it will be released this year. He of course thinks people should just be happy that he’s publishing something from ASoIaF.

It’s amazing his publisher hasn’t sued him yet because they have to realize he is never going to finish the series, or at least the series ending before the books will cost them money.
Old 02-24-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It would be nice if he waited to do those Targaryen King books until after he completes A Dream of Spring.

Yeah... shit... there's no indication that TWoW will come out this year, so it's 2019 at the earliest, eight years since ADwD. Then we're probably looking at at least ten years for ADoS. The time between books has been increasing: Five years, six years, eight (and counting) years. And I still don't trust him to not need an eighth book.

I just don't see any way that he finishes the series before he kicks the bucket.
Old 02-25-18, 12:37 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

^ He would be 80 years old by the end of the series if he followed that schedule.
I honestly don’t see the series getting completed.
Old 02-25-18, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
^ He would be 80 years old by the end of the series if he followed that schedule.
I honestly don’t see the series getting completed.
Yeah, it effectively took him eleven years to write ADWD (he had to break it into two books, AFFC being the first part), and he's been going on eight for TWOW (and even then, parts of ADWD were moved into TWOW). So the fourth book expanded into a fifth book and even spilled over into the sixth book.

That the story keeps expanding while his pace slows doesn't bode well.
Old 02-26-18, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

sigh...was really hoping this bump was for an official release date of Winds of Winter. Silly of me to expect that, given the numerous delays.
Old 04-25-18, 12:26 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
sigh...was really hoping this bump was for an official release date of Winds of Winter. Silly of me to expect that, given the numerous delays.
George R.R. Martin is confirming what Game of Thrones fans have increasingly suspected: The long-awaited sixth book in his A Song of Ice and Fire saga, The Winds of Winter, will not be out in 2018.

The author revealed the decision in a press release announcing a publication date for Fire and Blood, his upcoming history of the Targaryens.

“No, winter is not coming… not in 2018, at least,” Martin wrote. “You’re going to have to keep waiting for The Winds of Winter. You will, however, be able to return to Westeros this year. I do want to stress… indeed, I want to shout… that Fire and Blood is not a novel. This is not a traditional narrative and was never intended to be… let’s call this one ‘imaginary history’ instead. The essential point being the ‘history’ part. I love reading popular histories myself, and that’s what I was aiming for here… As for me, I’m returning once again to The Winds of Winter.”

Fans have been eagerly waiting for the next book in the series and their mounting frustration with the beloved author is legendary. His last entry, the bestseller A Dance with Dragons, was published back in 2011 — the same year HBO’s hit series based on his saga, Game of Thrones, aired its debut season.

The author has given many reasons for the book’s delay over the years, ranging from the distractions which have arisen from the HBO series, his work on other books and projects, and his struggles while writing the novel to continue the narrative complexity of his epic and sprawling story in a manner that meets his own high standards.

Set 300 years before the events in A Song of Ice and Fire, the new Fire and Blood is the first of two planned volumes. It’s described as “the definitive history of the Targaryens in Westeros and chronicles the conquest that united the Seven Kingdoms under Targaryen rule through the Dance of the Dragons: the Targaryen civil war that nearly ended their dynasty forever. Readers may have glimpsed small parts of this narrative before — in The World of Ice and Fire and various anthologies — but the full tapestry of Martin’s history of the Targaryens is revealed here for the first time. Lavishly illustrated with over 75 all-new black and white portraits and scenes by artist Doug Wheatley, Fire and Blood will give readers a whole new appreciation for the fascinating history of Westeros and will be a must-have addition to every fan’s bookshelf.”

Fire and Blood will be released in hardcover on Nov. 20.

Martin also has another series based on his work, Syfy’s space horror drama Nightflyers, coming later this year. He’s also closely involved with the development of a potential prequel series to Game of Thrones for HBO.

Meanwhile, Game of Thrones is currently filming its final season, which will air in 2019.
http://ew.com/books/2018/04/25/georg..._medium=social
Old 04-25-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

Why the hell is he writing a Targaryen history book when he should be finishing the books? I think he has just written himself into a hole that he can't get out of.....
Old 04-25-18, 05:48 PM

It will be best when he just dies and someone else can finish based on his notes. He had a good idea and some great history, but he just wrote himself into a corner and can't figure a way out so he works on other things other than what the fans want.
Old 06-24-18, 10:06 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently Martin told Diana Gabaldon, who wrote Outlander, that he backed himself into a corner and killed off a character that he needs.
Old 06-24-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrX
Apparently Martin told Diana Gabaldon, who wrote Outlander, that he backed himself into a corner and killed off a character that he needs.

Can't say that surprises me.

Wonder who it was...
Old 06-25-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Wonder who it was...
probably Ned Stark. lol
Old 06-25-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
probably Ned Stark. lol
Nah, it's that dude Ned beheaded in the Prologue of book 1.
Old 06-27-18, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone just write a fan fiction that finishes this all up? They can just continue from season 7 of the show.
Old 12-26-18, 12:49 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Alvis
Can someone just write a fan fiction that finishes this all up? They can just continue from season 7 of the show.
Lol, it's called Game of Thrones Season 8. I think I have moved into don't care if he ever finishes them territory. They are unbelievably good books, but its just ridiculous now.

Not that he is alone. Didnt Rothfuss say the interview series was done when the first book came out?
Old 12-26-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Any news on when Knight of the Seven Realms and Fire and Blood will be available in regular paperback version in North America? I enjoy these stories, but not enough to buy them in hardcover at launch, so I'm always like a year behind lol .
Old 01-14-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Any news on when Knight of the Seven Realms and Fire and Blood will be available in regular paperback version in North America? I enjoy these stories, but not enough to buy them in hardcover at launch, so I'm always like a year behind lol .
A Knight of the 7 kingdoms is currently $3 for the kindle version on Amazon. I really hope Martin or someone else can finish the series. He should just take the tv series and adapt that to his books.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.