Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Stephen King Book?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: What's the worst Stephen King book?
Bag of Bones
2.76%
Dolores Claiborne
2.76%
Dreamcatcher
17.13%
From a Buick 8
6.63%
Gerald's Game
23.76%
Insomnia
6.08%
Rose Madder
6.63%
Tommyknockers
19.89%
Gunslinger (any)
5.52%
Other (please specify)
8.84%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Worst Stephen King Book?

Old 05-09-04, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I agree. It is his swan song. Everything else is small potatoes.

Anyway, how important is Insomnia in the scope of the Dark Tower. I really didn't like it at the time. Should I re-read before Song of Susanna comes out.
Insomnia gives readers more info about the Crimson King and further info (and sadly more questions) about the Dark Tower itself and what it means and what it's made up of. I suggest re-reading it and looking for the DT references. Oh yes, one VERY important this occurs involving a young boy with a drawing of a cowboy approaching a dark tower in a field of red roses.... That made me remember. Yep, definately an important book. Re-read immediately.

MG26
Old 05-11-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Regulators and Desperation i think it's called are my favorites
Old 05-11-04, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
come on people this should be a landslide here. Gerald
s Game. I mean a 300+ page book about someone strapped to a bed? The idea has potential... if he were to shave it down about 250 pages.
Fully agree, Gerald's Game is by far the worst imo. However, about the 250 pages of one topic.....wasn't a lot of Cujo set inside a car? (been ike 15 years since I read it, but seemed like it). Sometimes it can work, sometimes it can't...GG is an exampe of it not working.
Old 05-11-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally posted by MovieGuy26
Insomnia gives readers more info about the Crimson King and further info (and sadly more questions) about the Dark Tower itself and what it means and what it's made up of. I suggest re-reading it and looking for the DT references. Oh yes, one VERY important this occurs involving a young boy with a drawing of a cowboy approaching a dark tower in a field of red roses.... That made me remember. Yep, definately an important book. Re-read immediately.

MG26
D'oh. I am in the middle of packing up and moving in about 3 weeks. Already packed all the books. MIght have to dig up Insomnia.
Old 05-16-04, 01:21 AM

I've only read two King books.

I thought the Gunslinger was very good and I look forward to reading the rest of the Dark Tower series as people seem to think they get even better.

The Stand seemed to me to be quite average. I'm surprised people like it so much. The fact that it's supposed to be one of (or even the) best really puts me off trying any of his other novels.
Old 05-19-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really thought that Gerald's Game was probably the worst book ever.

Can't really remember what else happens other than the woman tied/strapped to the bed and some huge eclipse. Wasn't that the same eclipse spoken of in Delores Claiborne?
Old 05-23-04, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by cdoug57
I really thought that Gerald's Game was probably the worst book ever.

Can't really remember what else happens other than the woman tied/strapped to the bed and some huge eclipse. Wasn't that the same eclipse spoken of in Delores Claiborne?
Well if I remember correctly, Gerald's Game occurs during the eclipse timeframe however in Dolores Clairborne, a key event occurs in the same eclipse but the actual story is set 20 to 30 years later.
Old 05-23-04, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
By the way, I voted for Gerald's Game also. Couldn't stand reading the book but I was able to finish. Don't even remember most of it (don't try to, anyways).

In regards to the Dark Towers series, I'm a huge fan of this series but I can also see why some people may dislike it.
Old 05-27-04, 02:17 PM

I've read every Sk book except for Wolves of Calla, and I have to say that Dolores Claiborne completely sucked. i admit that Gerald's Game was more than a bit of a departure for King, but it was still better than that crap.

And if you're looking for reasons to appreciate the Stand, consider the current trend of writing books with multiple main character perspectives. I don't want to go out on a limb, but it's very possible that SK started it (for better or worse) with this book.
Old 05-29-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have also thought that Gerald's Game would be the winner by a landslide. That plot seems that it would make for a much better short than the novel it was.
Old 06-06-04, 11:16 AM

I voted Tommyknockers. It was the only one of his I couldn't finish reading. Granted, I haven't tried Gerald's Game or Dreamcatcher yet. But I didn't think The Girl Who Love Tom Gordon was that bad. Just a cheesy little story.

I didn't really like the Wolves Of Calla but it was still better than most books I have read.

Like someone else said, Insomnia shouldn't be on the list. It is very important to the Dark Tower series.

dettam
Old 06-13-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Dreamcatcher blows rhino. I got halfway through it and I have never picked it up again (c'mon sh@# aliens) I like most of King's work but I also hated Geralds Game, Rose Madder (so bored with them that I couldn't finsh them) and I was disappointed with Bag of Bones and Hearts in Atlantis.
I always loved The Long Walk, but I loved Rage even more. I don't think Hollywood would make these two into movies since TLW has a high amount of violence, and people would be upset by the student taking class hostage in Rage.
Old 06-13-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I loved BoB and HiA. HiA because of the Dark Tower ties.
Old 06-13-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Gerald's Game is horrible, mainly due to the total lack of actual plot in it, so every little thing is stretched to the breaking point. I didn't actually read it, but instead heard it in its uncut books-on-tape version that a friend rented for a long road trip we were taking. By the end, when the main character Jessie is dictating a long, drawn-out letter to her friend, I had had enough and was screaming out loud at her to just finish it already!

Listening to the novel was bad enough, so I couldn't imagine actually reading it all the way through.
Old 06-23-04, 06:48 PM

What is fun about this poll is that I have actually read 95 percent of Stephen King's books so I know if I like the ones in the list. Dreamcatcher is the only one from this list I haven't read. It came out when I thought I was going to quit cold turkey on King. I eventually bought it when the hardcover was on Waldenbook's "Hardbacks for paper back prices" clearance. I still haven't read it and may not after reading posts here. Anyway, I had the hardest time getting through Tommyknockers. I fought my way through it cause I didn't want to leave a King book unfinished.

Tscott, I highly recommend finishing Black House. I really liked it.
Old 06-29-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I voted "From a Buick 8" - which I finished last night.

Reads like one of Grandpa's stories - rambling, easily side-tracked. Oh, and nothing actually happens! Terrible ending - I was hoping for a reward for a hard slog through the first two thirds and was dissapointed. Finished it just so I could give it away - plus I couldn't afford to spare the bookmark.

I would not have picked this up if it hadn't been the only possible choice in a tiny bookstore in Canada while on vacation last week. Even though I cut my teeth (ow) on King books growing up, I have to admit his later ones just aren't as snappy - and I've moved on (or downwards) to authors like Little, Laymon, etc...

Other King books I didn't finish were:

Dreamcatcher: I'm surprised to hear so many people didn't like it. I had heard nothing but good things about it from friends, but still it sits on my bedside table with a dusty bookmark sitting approximately halfway through. I stopped reading around the time of the alien "body rides" ESP whatever it was mumbo jumbo shit. Started off great - but couldn't take it after
Spoiler:
they killed the BEAV!

Insomnia: So it's not just me? Bookmark sitting about 30 pages from the end. Looks like I got further than most!

(PS - can't believe the lack of love for the Tommyknockers! I ploughed through that, and actually cried at the end - yes, like a GIRL. Of course, I was 12 years old at the time, so I'll reserve judgement! )

Is Gerald's Game really as bad as you all say? I love it when authors and film makers set something in the SAME PLACE for long periods of time - (but only if it's done well, obviously)
Old 06-29-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ceeece
Tscott, I highly recommend finishing Black House. I really liked it.
I'm sticking with it (after taking a break to read Orwell's 1984 and two Lemony Snicket books I borrowed from a nephew) and it's getting better now that I'm past all the long introductory stuff. I'm also in the middle of Everything's Eventual and plan to switch off books for a break if Black House gets the better of me again.
Old 06-29-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
For fear of being stoned, Gerald's Game is one of my favorite books! (ducks) I voted for Tommyknockers.
Old 06-29-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts
I had to go with Tommyknockers. The basic concept was a good idea, but man, is that book bloated.

I'm also a big fan of the Dark Tower books. Some of his best stuff. I'm halfway through Song of Susannah now.

Black House starts out very awkwardly for me, hell I almost gave up on it. But if you can get through the first 50 pages or so, it turns out being a great story. Not as good as The Talisman, but a must read for Dark Tower fans.
Old 06-30-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gerald's Game most definitely. It actually started off really good, but after the first 20 pages, blah...
Old 07-01-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked Gerald's Game. It's been a while, but I still remember the woman handcuffed to the bed and waking up in the night to see a strange man standing in the corner (I can't remember the specifics - I think he was a murderer or something - but I remember it being very creepy).

Rose Madder is the worst for me. I read Insomnia when it first came out and didn't understand most of it, probably because I hadn't read any of the Dark Tower books at the time. I need to re-read that one.

Reading Dreamcatcher now (well, not technically reading it - listening to the unabridged audio version. From what I've heard, it's not worth the time to actually read, so I'm listening to it while commuting, etc.).
Old 07-01-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by MoviePage
I liked Gerald's Game. It's been a while, but I still remember the woman handcuffed to the bed and waking up in the night to see a strange man standing in the corner (I can't remember the specifics - I think he was a murderer or something - but I remember it being very creepy).
As I remember, the bit with the murderer in the room was in a short postscript at the end of the book, and was almost like a separate short story. It was the only part of that book I liked.
Old 07-03-04, 12:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
I have read very few King books, but quite enjoyed Gerald's Game.

And the first person I asked, who has read a lot of King, has it as one of her favorites also.
Old 07-04-04, 11:06 AM
Suspended

All of them
Old 07-04-04, 01:55 PM

I have read about 15 King books and the only one i thought was bad is insomnia it was real boring and hard to get through,all the others i have liked(although i have not read all of them on this poll, i see that the tommyknockers are leading this poll,i actually liked that book

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.