Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Here is the cover of Dark Tower 6 "Song of Susannah"!

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Here is the cover of Dark Tower 6 "Song of Susannah"!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Drop
I have less than 70 pages left on WoC, and I'm glad I won't have to wait too long till SoS. I really dig book 5 so far. If I had to rank them:

1. Wizard and Glass
2. Drawing of the Three
3. The Gunslinger (revised edition, as it's the only one I've read)
4. Wolves of the Calla
5. The Wasteland

I think they are all excellent, no drastic preferences between them.
I just finished WoC a few hours ago. (marathon since Christmas, reread them all). I think this is how I would rank them as well. Athough you can't forget

6. The little sisters of Eluria.

I never read this one when it came out because my mind wasn't in sync with the DT series(been so long since I was in that world). I waited until I was going to re-read them to tackle it. So I read it just before WoC a few weeks ago. Bad. I haven't read 6 or 7 yet, but this short story/novella is bad. Very bad.
Old 05-07-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I just finished WoC a few hours ago. (marathon since Christmas, reread them all). I think this is how I would rank them as well. Athough you can't forget

6. The little sisters of Eluria.

I never read this one when it came out because my mind wasn't in sync with the DT series(been so long since I was in that world). I waited until I was going to re-read them to tackle it. So I read it just before WoC a few weeks ago. Bad. I haven't read 6 or 7 yet, but this short story/novella is bad. Very bad.
FYI- LSoE has some connections to Black House (the Talisman sequel) if you've read that.
Old 05-08-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Never did. I want to reread Talisman first.
Old 05-08-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't read LSoE, I guess I'll get to it after I finish the Stand (only 760 or so pages ), but I'm in no hurry.

Oh, yea, I finished WotC a while ago, and that ranking still holds. I really liked it, and SoS can't get her soon enough. Thankfully I have plenty of books lined up.
Old 05-10-04, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, SK kind of wussed out Roland after the Gunslinger...

I'm kind of wondering in the long term if he'll sell 'em all down the river to get to the Tower....
Old 06-01-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a bump 'cause it's only a week away. I haven't yet decided if I want to buy the book or go for the audiobook and save it for a summer roadtrip. I'm not as happy with George Guidall as I was with Frank Muller.
Old 06-03-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MUST. GET. NEW. DARK. TOWER. BOOK.
Old 06-04-04, 12:05 PM

Just finished SoS, and I think he really pulled it off very well. Loved the book... finished it in two days, couldn't put it down. But... now I have to wait for the next one! Argh!

-Sky
Old 06-04-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just preordered mine through Amazon. I cannot wait until next week!
Old 06-08-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just picked mine up at Sam's Club. $17.97. Not bad.
Old 06-08-04, 10:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Mine should be arriving in the mail anyday.
Old 06-08-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just noticed on the page that lists everything King has written, all the books that are Dark Tower related are in bold print, distinguishing them from the rest. Nice.

edit to add:

If there are any of you like me that like to know how many pages are in a book before you read... DO NOT LOOK in this book. There is a HUGE spoiler in ultra bold text and probably 18 pt. size font on the last page.

You have been warned.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 06-08-04 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-08-04, 11:02 PM

Wow ... a very odd, almost surreal read. It's gonna take me a while to gather my thoughts on this one.

Spoiler:
As for black 13 being stored under the World Trade Center ... mixed emotions
Old 06-09-04, 02:10 AM

the new one's already out?! i haven't even read wolves of the calla yet. i better get crackin'.
Old 06-10-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read the entire thing in one sitting. I curled up on the couch and read it.

Holy shit. Amazing read. Simply Amazing.
Old 06-11-04, 01:50 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Skywa|ker
Just finished SoS, and I think he really pulled it off very well. Loved the book... finished it in two days, couldn't put it down. But... now I have to wait for the next one! Argh!
Just finished it today also--what a great book! While I wish I could read the final book right now, I have waited years between some of the other installments, so I think I can make it a couple more months. This is especially true because this time I know that the final book is already done!

In an epilogue to one of the early DT books, SK wrote that he didn't know if he would live long enough to finish this tale; but now, despite a very close call with a murderous van a few years back, he has indeed completed his service to the Beam. Finality is certain. Say thankee sai!
Old 06-11-04, 08:54 AM

Final thoughts: I liked it a lot. There was nice resonance with the rest of the series, and the Stephen King stuff worked remarkably well. I was afraid of that part coming off too cute. The only thing I didn't really enjoy was the King-style "smack you over the head" foreshadowing...

Spoiler:
...the whole death would part Eddie and Roland before the question could be answered ...

... it seemed a bit forced, though I appreciate then tension.
Old 06-11-04, 10:35 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by silentbob007
Final thoughts: I liked it a lot. There was nice resonance with the rest of the series, and the Stephen King stuff worked remarkably well. I was afraid of that part coming off too cute. The only thing I didn't really enjoy was the King-style "smack you over the head" foreshadowing...

Spoiler:
...the whole death would part Eddie and Roland before the question could be answered ...

... it seemed a bit forced, though I appreciate then tension.
Yes, I hate that. King is my favorite writer, but that crap has got to stop. It was even more blatant in vol. 4 when he says
Spoiler:
"the next time he saw Susan, she was dead."

Other than that, I loved the hell out of this book. I just wish it could have been longer.
Old 06-12-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm listening to the audiobook - let's just say that things become much easier to buy into after a few drinks.
Old 06-13-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've always loved the way King foreshadows. I didn't read your spoilers, but I dig they way he does it.
For example, he might tell you on the first page of a book that the MC never makes it to the end. Yet you fall in love with the character anyway and are still disappointed when it happens. I think it is his way of saying that they way it ends isn't as important as the journey it takes to get there.
Old 06-13-04, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I've always loved the way King foreshadows. I didn't read your spoilers, but I dig they way he does it.
For example, he might tell you on the first page of a book that the MC never makes it to the end. Yet you fall in love with the character anyway and are still disappointed when it happens. I think it is his way of saying that they way it ends isn't as important as the journey it takes to get there.
Probably not a good idea to read the spoilers ... I don't mind the occurance of the foreshadowing ... just the placement. Too often it feels just tacked on the the end of a chapter.
Old 06-16-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Am I the only one that thinks that
Spoiler:
Roland
will be the Crimson King?

Spoiler:
Not our Roland, of course, but, a Roland from another when . It's obviously not King as I found out BEFORE I read the book because I checked to see how many pages the book had.

Now, apart from Roland, my favorite character is Odetta. That woman has got the meanest mouth. But, she speaks true.

Songs was a great book, but, just too damn short. looking forward the last one. September can't come fast enough!
Old 06-16-04, 07:20 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
. . .September can't come fast enough!
I believe the final book isn't due until November.
Old 06-16-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by JAA
I believe the final book isn't due until November.
I preorder it from B&N, and they had a Sept. release data listed.
Old 06-16-04, 12:56 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I preorder it from B&N, and they had a Sept. release data listed.
My apology. You're absolutely right. The release date for the final installment is actually September 21 according to Stephen King's official site.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.