Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Dark Tower Series: A hard read?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once you get past the first book, it does get much easier ... kind of like Fellowship of the Ring in that regard (IMO).
Old 06-11-04, 09:04 AM

I, like many others, also struggled through the first book (attempted to read it several times before finally getting through it). That said, IIRC, after about the first ten pages of "The Drawing of the Three", aka Book 2, the story really took off and things moved at a much brisker pace. From that point on, I was completely hooked.
Old 06-11-04, 10:55 AM

i started the second book last night and it is flowing MUCH better. I can't wait to spend more time with it.
Old 06-11-04, 11:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not read the King series but....

Book link
Originally posted by Samuel
Is there a book that "Charlie The Choo-Choo" is based on?
.... Thomas the Tank Engine?
Old 06-11-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He always seemed to happy, it's very creepy.
Old 06-12-04, 04:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by Neeb
The Little Engine That Could?
</small>Looking into that option further, there was a book called "Choo Choo Charlie Saves the Carnival" in the Little Engine mileu: http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?isbn=0448435136

The cover illustration is somewhat reminsiscent of the Reverend Awdry's Thomas The Tank Engine stylings.... although there are similarities with Gertrude Crampton's Tootle from around the same time.

Additonally, there seems to be a more recent pop-up book with a similarly named character: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...506655-2303601

And I see that there was a 1950s advertising mascot: http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_choo_choo.htm
Old 06-13-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I read The Drawing of the Three first and I found The Gunslinger to be the hardest read of all the books in the series. Dark Tower series is excellent otherwise, eventhough my favorite King novel will always be The Stand. I reread the First 2 books in the series to get me ready for book five and I just started rereading The Wastelands (it has been a couple of years since I read it and Wizard and Glass) I'm really looking forward to Book 5 since it has been a while since picked up a new King book I enjoyed (Bag of Bones, Hearts in Atlantis and Dreamcatcher were all unenjoyable andall left me thinking that my tastes have changed)
Old 06-13-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I first read the books, I don't remember finding the Gunslinger to be all that difficult to get through. I know I did it the first time in a couple of sittings, beause I immediately bought the second book.

Sadly, I have not picked up 5 & 6 yet, as I just haven't had the time. But, this summer I will definately be rereading everything and catching up on the new.
Old 07-01-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got damn it! After reading this thread I'm all jazzed to read this series. I read slow as all get out though so this is gonna take forever. I've never read King before, and I'd rather just jump right into this series, so I think I'll be skipping all the related works. I hope me and his writing style get along (his millions of fans can't be wrong).
Old 07-01-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by boredsilly
Got damn it! After reading this thread I'm all jazzed to read this series. I read slow as all get out though so this is gonna take forever. I've never read King before, and I'd rather just jump right into this series, so I think I'll be skipping all the related works. I hope me and his writing style get along (his millions of fans can't be wrong).
Consider yourself lucky then! I read Gunslinger 20 years ago. Imagine waiting 20 years to finish a book series.
Old 07-01-04, 02:21 PM

Hi all!

I wanted to chime in as I have just recently started the series.
I read book 1 about two months ago after remembering a friend's recommendation from years ago. I had no trouble getting through it. But then again I REALLY love spaghetti westerns and that's what I felt I was reading. I just finished book 2 last night on a trip and really loved it.

I had no idea what the series would be about, so I was a little surprised by all the metaphysical stuff (portals to other world, etc...). I agree that book 2 really draws you in, as I'm going to pick up book 3 during lunch.

Could someone fill me in as to the changes that were made in the first 2 books? Is it worth trying to find original copies at a used book store. (I'd like to do that with The Stand sometime).
Old 07-01-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
I found the first book a hard read, but when the second one came out, I flew though it. I got hooked on the story almost immediately and couldn't put the book down. The following volumes were easy reads for me as well, but I still think the second volume is my favourite (so far).

I recently read the revised edition of The Gunslinger and found it a much better read.

Consider yourself lucky then! I read Gunslinger 20 years ago. Imagine waiting 20 years to finish a book series
Tell me about it! I started reading the series almost 20 years ago myself. It's hard to believe that I started the story back in highschool and just now its almost finished (I'm 36).
Old 07-02-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by sho kosugi

Could someone fill me in as to the changes that were made in the first 2 books? Is it worth trying to find original copies at a used book store. (I'd like to do that with The Stand sometime).

The 2nd book wasn't redone, just the first. Mainly, SK just didn't think the first book flowed very well with the rest of the series, so he made some minor changes, mainly in grammar and a couple of small plot points. You could probably find the first one in a library if you wanted to check out the changes for yourself. I know, at least in my case, I will never reread the original release since I consider the new one to be a much better read.
Old 07-02-04, 03:55 PM

Well, this thread has me hooked. I read the first book(and the second, maybe) years ago. I'm off to go get the revised Gunslinger.
Old 07-04-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have about 30pp left of Song of Susannah and ironically, it puts the difference of the two reads(DT1 vs 2-6) into perspective. The first being much different than the rest.

spoiler for SoS:
Spoiler:
with the realization that they are all just characters in SK's mind and that he never wrote any sequels to the Gunslinger. So essentially they are writing their own story.

Very cool. I am loving this book.
Old 07-04-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I love the Dark Tower series but I gotta agree that is a hard read at the beginning but once you are into the series, you will be hooked. Plus now, it helps if you are a King fan and have read some of his other books.

BTW, was anyone here lucky enough to get the limited editions hardcover books from Grant Publishing of the Dark Tower series?
And do you think is worth it to pay such a large amount?
Thanks
Old 07-04-04, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Based on the recommendations of this thread I just reserved the revised edition at my local library.

Third time's the charm? We'll see...
Old 07-07-04, 09:25 AM

Just started reading the first book, and even though I read it years ago, I'm not recalling anything.

Anyway, what is meant by the expression, "the world had moved on"?
Old 07-07-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Things have changed greatly. "moved on." Sorta like in the Stand how the few that survived don't rely on machines and electricty much anymore. Their world has moved on. That is my take anyway.
Old 07-07-04, 10:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I agree that the first installment is the hardest read of the lot. Once you get through that one, it is smooth sailing through all the rest...and boy are they good!
Old 07-10-04, 07:44 PM
Cool New Member

I subscribed to Audible.com and have downloaded the first 6(!) and burned them to CD. If you are a slow reader or find the books hard to get through, or even if you have a significant commute to/from work or school I would recommend giving this a shot. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the books on CD or in hardback.
Old 07-29-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lorenzo, all six of my Dark Tower books are from Grant and they are wonderful indeed. Much better dust jackets, much better paper, much better binding. My preorder is in for the seventh book.