The Dark Tower Series: A hard read?

Old 06-27-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cupcake jesus

King also mentioned in an interview given quite a while back that even
Spoiler:
Father Callahan from Salem's Lot
has a place in the mid- or end-world. Hmm...
This was pretty much confirmed by the prologue, for those that couldn't wait to read it like me.
Old 06-27-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I for one believe that not only will Roland NOT make it to the Dark Tower, but I believe that at least one more person will die along the way. Whichever way it goes it will be an emotional ending that cannot come quick enough.
I just finished The Gunslinger again and I have to agree. I wish it weren't so but it is in the cards

Spoiler:
When Walter is showing Roland the tarot cards he determines card 1 is the hanged man, representing Roland. Then card 6 is the Dark Tower. Walter places this card on top of the hanged man card, "covering it completely". I take this to mean that The Dark Tower will be the death of Roland. Possibly in book 6? In concordance with the card drawn?
Old 06-27-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Tarot card meanings:

Spoiler:

The Hanged Man represents self-sacrifice. It can also mean the person is in limbo, unchanged, or unable to act.

The Tower represents violent upheaval, extreme change, impending disaster, and ruination.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-27-03 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-29-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone!!!

Go tohttp://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower

Go to books...

click on Wolves of Calla and you can hear part of the new book!!!

Serious spoilers of Alain and Cuthbert...but holy ****..
Old 06-29-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
That was damn cool...
Old 06-30-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm wondering just how many of King's books will have ties to the Dark Tower. Sure, supposedly they all will, but I wonder how many direct ties we can find.

Anyone have any ideas? Talisman/Black House, for sure. The Stand. Salem's Lot.

I wonder what else...
Old 06-30-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

pick almost any book, and something is related. Gerald's Game, Everything's Eventual, Hearts in Atlantis....
Old 07-01-03, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by bishop2knight
Now I'm wondering just how many of King's books will have ties to the Dark Tower. Sure, supposedly they all will, but I wonder how many direct ties we can find.

Anyone have any ideas? Talisman/Black House, for sure. The Stand. Salem's Lot.

I wonder what else...
Uh oh, here's one of my favorite topics... Comprehensive spoilers follow...
Ok, in either Black House (which directly connects) or some prologue it is mentioned that children with special powers are the kind that are taken by Breakers, connecting Carrie, Firestarter, and The Shining.
Salem's Lot is directly connected because (spoiler for future books)
Spoiler:
Father Callahan returns in DT5
The Stand connects directly to DT4. At one point, Frannie is reading a book by the author Bobbie Anderson from The Tommyknockers, which mentions the writer from The Dark Half, thus connecting all of the Castle Rock stories.
One of the Castle Rock stories (can't remember which one) mentions the events from Pet Semetary.
The Talisman, being connected to Black House, is also connected to the Dark Tower books.
It is connected through the Turtle, who is mentioned as one of the 12 guardians in DT3 or 4. That in turn connects Insomnia and Dreamcatcher because all take place partly in Derry.
Eyes of the Dragon literally takes place the next kingdom over from the one Roland grew up in. Both also feature Flagg as a villian (who makes another connection to The Stand) and Roland even meets Thomas and Dennis at one point in his quest.
One of the books (possibly Tommyknockers) mentions Paul Sheldon, connecting Misery. Since Bag of Bones also mentions Paul Sheldon, that connects those 2 books.
Rose Madder directly connects thanks to the painting. Since the character Cynthia later shows up again in Desperation, that book connects also.
From a Buick 8 is (IMHO) a connection to Hearts in Atlantis (which connects directly) due to the similarity of the cars in both stories.

Anomalies:
Gerald's Game and Delores Claiborne. The books connect to each other, but I have no idea how they connect to the Dark Tower.
Christine is the other book I have no idea about.

There are in many cases several ways that his books connect. I'm mainly trying to just list at least one way. Did I leave any books out?
Old 07-01-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey Tom, thanks for the list.

If you were to list the top 10-15 books that tie in the most/best with the DT series, which would they be? Some of the books you mentioned seem to tie together, but not necessarily in a big way. I want to read all of those that have tie-ins that are notcible.

Ideas?

Last edited by James W. Powell; 07-01-03 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-01-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts
The Stand connects directly to DT4. At one point, Frannie is reading a book by the author Bobbie Anderson from The Tommyknockers, which mentions the writer from The Dark Half, thus connecting all of the Castle Rock stories.
Your also refering to the super flu that they see news papers about and Blaine is also seen in an amusement park somewhere either in Black House or the dark tower....
Old 07-01-03, 12:50 PM

Hey Tom, thanks for the list.

If you were to list the top 10-15 books that tie in the most/best with the DT series, which would they be? Some of the books you mentioned seem to tie together, but not necessarily in a big way. I want to read all of those that have tie-ins that are notcible.

Ideas?
Yeah, a lot of them are very loose connections that amount to nothing more than name-dropping. Here's a top 10-15 list, in the order I'd recommend them to a newbie. Hell, I'll throw in the DT books in the chronology, too, to make it easier.

The Stand
DT1
Eyes of the Dragon
It
DT2
The Talisman
DT3
Insomnia
DT4
The Little Sisters of Eluria (this is a prequel novella to the DT series, but can be appreciated much more if you already know the story)
Hearts in Atlantis
Black House
Salem's Lot

This is just how I'd recommend them. Someone else may like it a little different. For instance, something like Salem's Lot can fit in just about anywhere. It is important that
The Stand be read before DT4
Little Sisters, HiA, Talisman, & DT4 be read before Black House
Eyes of the Dragon be read before DT2
It before Insomnia
Old 07-01-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm, interesting. My original idea was to read them in all, then read the DT series in order after them all. I had no idea it'd be better to read Black House AFTER DT4.

So, are you recommending these in this order because of the actions that take place are in a certain chronilogical order, or because the connections/tie-ins are better understood and appreciated in this order?
Old 07-01-03, 01:25 PM

So, are you recommending these in this order because of the actions that take place are in a certain chronilogical order, or because the connections/tie-ins are better understood and appreciated in this order?
A little of both, actually. For instance, in Black House, there is a huge fireside conversation. If you've read Little Sisters of Eluria, you get to appreciate the fact that the conversation takes place in the same place that the novella took place. Also, the conversation mentions a character from HiA, and goes on to hint at what the characters from DT4 are about to go through.

If in doubt, just take the books I mentioned and read them in publishing order. That should be a pretty safe route.
Old 07-01-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, good ol' publishing order. But shouldn't I read Black House right after Talisman? Aren't they a series?

Thanks Mr. Banjo.
Old 07-02-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those looking for connections between King's books, try this:

http://www.thedarktower.net/

(click the "connections" link)
Old 07-02-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Banjo

Anomalies:
Gerald's Game and Delores Claiborne. The books connect to each other, but I have no idea how they connect to the Dark Tower.
Christine is the other book I have no idea about.
Gerald's Game and Delores Claiborne at least take place in the Kingverse because the maps of Maine on the endpapers showed Castle Rock.
Old 08-21-03, 02:34 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally posted by moorehed
please do not judge the series based on the first book.

i tell people to read the 2nd book first.
I wholehartedly agree.

Right now, I am in the middle of the 2nd book and, quite honestly, it is one of my favorite King books so far. I thought the first was decent, nothing to write home about. I can't wait to read the 3rd, 4th and eventually the 5th installment.
Old 12-03-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bumping for reasons of my own.

Old 12-03-03, 03:40 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Well, I am almost through reading Wizard & Glass. Utterly fantastic!
Old 12-03-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read books 1-4 about a year and a half ago and loved them. I just got Wolves of The Calla and I am starting at the begining with the revised Gunslinger book. I must say the changes are pretty interesting. As hard as it's going to be for me to wait I'm going to start at the beginging again once both books 6 and 7 are released. You really can't read these books individually, well you can but it's much more effective to read it as one whole story.

As far as Book 1 goes I always loved it. The first time I read it I admit I dozed off once or twice but the second time around I really got into it and picked up on a lot of things I looked over previously.

If you are reading The Dark Tower for the first time all the way through to book 5, I recommend reading the revised Gunslinger but I still also recommend reading the original version at some point as well.

Also be sure to checkout "The Stephen King Universe" for in depth connections to all the King's stories.

Last edited by Samuel; 12-04-03 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there a book that "Charlie The Choo-Choo" is based on? I searched the net and the one that book with that title doesn't really match the book in "The Wastelands". I guess it's just a SK creation. Even so it would be neat if it was published as a novelty of some sort.

Last edited by Samuel; 12-10-03 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-11-03, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Samuel
Is there a book that "Charlie The Choo-Choo" is based on? I searched the net and the one that book with that title doesn't really match the book in "The Wastelands".
The Little Engine That Could?

I suppose we could Wold-Newtonian a connection between the Little Engine and Blaine the Mono if we were creative or psychotic enough.
Old 06-10-04, 10:49 PM

Does the dark Tower series get easier to read?

The reason I ask is because I read the first book a few months ago and had a hard time reading it. I found myself going back and re-reading sections because it just didn't "click" the first time. I really enjoyed the story but to be honest was getting frustrated trying to read it. Just curious as what to expect from the rest. I plan to start book 2 on my way to Mississippi tomorrow.
Old 06-11-04, 01:39 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I thought so. Stick with it, as it is worth it. You are very lucky in that, getting into the game so late, you will likely be able to read ALL of them whenever you want. All but the final book have been released, and it is due in a few months (and is already complete).

For those of us who started reading this saga near when the Gunslinger was originally released, we have had to wait agonizing YEARS between books. At one point, SK even wrote that he didn't think he would live long enough to finish the story. When the van ran over and almost killed him a few years back, it looked very bleak indeed, as he almost gave up writing. In the end, he came through. Having just finished book 6, I now have only one more few months' wait before reaching the clearing in the path. What a long trip its been, but it has been (and will be) worth it. I think and hope you will agree.
Old 06-11-04, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
search is your friend

I think it depends greatly on which version of the Gunslinger you read. The new revised edition is 110% better. The original was written as a serial and didn't flow well put together.

As for the rest, I do tend to take more time reading them than say his other novels. But yes they get easier once you get to know what is going on. It gets easier to follow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.