Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Help wanted locating / finding title of a childrens' / teen book [various merged]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Help wanted locating / finding title of a childrens' / teen book [various merged]

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-01, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
can't remember title of book read as kid anyone can help.

all i can remember is that it may have been about a mouse who rode around on a toy motorcycle , and to make it work he had to make a vroom sound or a motorcycle sound.

well i can't make it any more vague then that.
so anyone know?
Old 10-20-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's called "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" by Beverly Cleary.
Old 10-24-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Children's book identification needed.

I am wanting to pick up a few halloween type books for my little cousin.

I was hoping to pick up a few I remember reading as a child, so it was prob when I was around 7 or so, so about 18 years ago.

They were done sorta similiar in art as Where the Wild Things Roam or whatever it's called. The only thing I can remember, is that there are several of them, and have great pictures, that details a little boy, and I believe something about visiting his grandfather. The little boy goes to like a cabin, and runs into different monsters etc..

I know this isn't much information, but I dont' have any more sadly, and waded through books hoping to get lucky, but no.

Any thoughts, even if they turn out wrong are appreciated.
Old 10-24-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Roald Dahl's Revolting rhymes?
Old 10-24-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm... I have one, if anyone can get this. It's an illustrated book, with mostly pictures and few words. The only thing I remember for certain is a boy imagining a huge Spanish warship (filled with animals, if I remember correctly) out of a walnut. The book was about the adventures of said ship. I think it encountered pirates at one point.
Old 10-24-02, 01:54 PM

Lampei, no, that's not it. That one looks good though, thanks for taking a shot. I don't expect to find it, since I can't remember anyting about it hardly.
Old 10-24-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try posting on Usenet, on rec.arts.books.childrens - there are a lot of regulars on that newsgroup who are *amazing* at identifying books based on very small hints!

When you post, put "ID" and something descriptive in the subject line, like "ID: halloween theme, boy visits grampa, sees monsters", and then in the actual post, put as much information as you can about what you remember - what you posted here is great (since it includes when you saw it).

I bet you'll get some suggestions!
Old 10-25-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mickey in the Night Kitchen rules. Sorry, I know that's not what you're looking for, but hey, you mention Where the Wild Things Roam, and Maurice Sendak just kicks butt. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 10-25-02, 12:35 PM

ordway thanks for the tip. I'm gonna give a try. Thank you all for your help.
Old 10-25-02, 03:50 PM

Is it Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak ? You can get it at amazon if it is THIS book.

Last edited by KayUK; 10-25-02 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-16-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

childrens book ?

Ok I remember reading a childrens book that was a series when i was a child and would like to read it to my boys. It was set in utah and the lead characters name was Tom, he was constantly scamming everyone and causing trouble. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-16-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Found it, it was the great brain
Old 08-30-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody remember these books? (kid's books about witches)

When I was growing up, I always ordered books from Scholastic that was a series of books about two little girls who were witches. I've tried searching for this on the Internet but since there are so many kid's books about witches, it's rather hard to narrow down in an Internet search. I read them in the late 70's/early 80's in elementary school, back in "the day" when Judy Blume was also popular. I don't recall too many plots from the books, but one in particular I remember fairly well was about the girls had two magic gloves they could wear, one glove for each of them, and when they put the magic gloves on in school, whenever they took a test they would always get the right answers. And they would each have the same answers in the same handwriting. If anybody has any idea who wrote these books or what they are titled, please let me know.
Old 08-31-03, 05:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

If you don't have any luck here I would recommend reposting your query on the newsgroup rec.arts.books.childrens

If you don't already use newsgroups, you might be better doing this via Google. Remember to use a throwaway webmail address to deflect spam/UCE!
Old 09-10-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Need help finding Children's Book

I'm trying to find a children's book based on the "Them Bones" song. I don't remeber the the title and I cannot seem to find it under the title Them Bones.

The book is totally illustrated and features a singing and dancing skeleton. If anyone has any info I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Need help IDing kids' series from '80s (was it Code Name: Orion?)

I'm reluctant to admit something so incredibly geeky as this, but I've reached an impasse. I'm hoping that the sharp-minded folks here can delve into their memories and help me out.

Back in grade school, circa 1985, I remember reading a series of books called - I believe - Code Name: Orion. It was a kids' light sci-fi adventure series told in the second person. Notably, it featured little snippets of BASIC code that the reader could type into a computer, or debug or something, as part of the adventure.

Total kid-geek fodder. But a part of my brain holds a very small but concentrated bit of nostalgia for it.

Here's the weird part: I can't find anything about it on the Internet. Not even in the book databases. No one seems to remember it.

Anyone have a clue about this? Do I have the title wrong?

- David Stein
Old 10-04-03, 07:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

[bump]

Old 10-10-03, 10:29 PM

Re: Somebody remember these books? (kid's books about witches)

Originally posted by calhoun07
When I was growing up, I always ordered books from Scholastic that was a series of books about two little girls who were witches. I've tried searching for this on the Internet but since there are so many kid's books about witches, it's rather hard to narrow down in an Internet search. I read them in the late 70's/early 80's in elementary school, back in "the day" when Judy Blume was also popular. I don't recall too many plots from the books, but one in particular I remember fairly well was about the girls had two magic gloves they could wear, one glove for each of them, and when they put the magic gloves on in school, whenever they took a test they would always get the right answers. And they would each have the same answers in the same handwriting. If anybody has any idea who wrote these books or what they are titled, please let me know.
What the Witch Left by Ruth Chew?

This link has pictures.
Old 10-12-03, 06:35 PM

Re: Need help IDing kids' series from '80s (was it Code Name: Orion?)

Originally posted by sfsdfd
I'm reluctant to admit something so incredibly geeky as this, but I've reached an impasse. I'm hoping that the sharp-minded folks here can delve into their memories and help me out.

Back in grade school, circa 1985, I remember reading a series of books called - I believe - Code Name: Orion. It was a kids' light sci-fi adventure series told in the second person. Notably, it featured little snippets of BASIC code that the reader could type into a computer, or debug or something, as part of the adventure.

Total kid-geek fodder. But a part of my brain holds a very small but concentrated bit of nostalgia for it.

Here's the weird part: I can't find anything about it on the Internet. Not even in the book databases. No one seems to remember it.

Anyone have a clue about this? Do I have the title wrong?

- David Stein
MicroAdventures?

Million Dollar Gamble
MicroAdventure #3
(Chassie L. West)

Scholastic/Parachute Press (Young Adult Mystery/Adventure) 1984
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

Your code name Is Orion and enemy agents are trying to kidnap you. They plan to pull off the computer crime of the century and you've broken Into their system. As the computer whiz on the ACT (Adventure Connection Team) you're the only one who can stop them. You must use your micro to:

crack an u************ble code
open a time-lock vault before you suffocate inside
beat master computer criminals at their own game
Link

Amazon Listing
Old 10-12-03, 06:39 PM

January 1984

Scholastic, Inc. publishes the first of a series of Micro Adventure Books. The first volume, by Ms. Eileen Buckholtz and Ms. Ruth Glick is titled Space Attack. Micro Adventures feature fictional stories which invite the reader to be a part of the story. Within the storyline are multiple type in BASIC programs for IBM PC/PCjr, Apple II+/IIe, Radio Shack TRS-80/Color, Commodore 64/Vic-20, TI-99/4a as well as Atari 400/800 computers. The programs, when typed in correctly and run reveal clues or codes to encourage the reader to participate with the story.
http://www.icwhen.com/book/the_1980s/1984.shtml
Old 10-12-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're awesome. Thanks muchly.

- David Stein
Old 01-04-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can someone please tell me what book this is?

I am in my 30's now and I was talking with my wife about 2 books that I remember reading and loving in middle school. One of them I remembered to be A Wrinkle In Time but I cannot remember the name of the other. Now I can hardly even recall much about the book whose title I do know, so I'm probably not going to be able to give you much on the one that I don't. I would greatly appreaciate it, though, if someone is able to figure this out. I do think it was, at the time, an award winning book assigned to my class.

It was about two young children who become friends. I don't know if they are neighbors or if one just moves to town and they become good friends, but the part of the book that might ring a bell with anyone here, is that they build or have some kind of fort together and they need to swing on a rope or something to get over some water to the fort. One day, one of the two friends falls and hits their head (I think, but I could totally be off) and dies. I remember that it was very vivid how the surviving friend struggled with the loss and it kind of reminds me of how the little girl in My Girl cries when her friend dies from the bee stings.

I know it's not much to go on, but if you know it, I'm betting that's probably enough to get the title. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me find this out.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 01-04-04 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-04-04, 01:00 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Bridge to Terabithia.

The odd thing is, when I first started reading the first paragraph of your post, before you even began the description, that is the book that popped into my head.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 01-04-04 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-04-04, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Bridge to Terabithia.

The odd thing is, when I first started reading the first paragraph of your post, before you even began the description, that is the book that popped into my head.
Thank you. Maybe we went to the same middle school.

I went to Amazon and I saw the Gold Newberry Medal on the hardcover just as I remembered it from like 7th grade.

Has the book been largely forgotten, do you know? Do younger kids still read it? Has it ever been adapted for film?

I'm gonna try and find it locally, I don't even want to wait for it to come in the mail. I wonder if it will still make me cry.
Old 02-19-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
What book is this: Boy gets a tattoo of a potato

I was talking to someone, today, and this came up in the conversation. In a book I read when I was little, probably around 8, a boy wanted to get a tattoo. He thought long and hard, and eventually decided to get a tattoo of a potato on his ankle.

I can't, for the life of me, remember what this came from. I'm pretty sure it's from a children's novel, not a short story. And I think it might be from a series, like Henry Huggins or something like that.

If it helps, I was born in 1983, so it was probably in the early '90s that I read this. Of course, lots of the books I read at that time were written in the '60s or earlier, so that may not help.

Any suggestions?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.